What's new

Emulators for the PSOne?

E

emuguy

Hey, was just wandering if there are any emulators for the PSOne, as in emulators to play games on the console, not PSOne on the pc. The main thing i'm looking for is a SNES emulator and a GBA emulator, but others too. Anyone know of any?

Clements

So he did, my bad. :D

Snes/GBA are w-a-y too powerful to be emulated well (if at all) on PSOne.

OP
E

emuguy

ok thanx guys. Didnt realise i'd posted in a GC board. Ijust read it as general emulation discussion :blush:

Toasty

Sony battery
The PSX actually can emulate SNES games - that's what they did for Chrono Trigger in Final Fantasy Chronicles, and a few other games too I think. In fact, you can pop the Chrono Trigger disc in your CD drive and play the SNES ROM from there on a SNES emulator. For some reason the ROM (at least the one I played) appeared to be in Japanese characters. Perhaps the English characters were inserted by the PSX's emulator.(?) Anyway, it's possible for some games at least.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
Nick_kidid0 said:
hm, i think they just used the textures from the rom that was stored on the CD.
Not meaning to contradict you - as I don't know for sure, but why not just include textures instead of the whole ROM if the game only had used textures from the original ROM? It seems like the only purpose to having a SNES ROM anywhere besides a SNES cart would be for emulation purposes, and I don't think Square intended for people to play the Japanese ROM on emulators on their computers - or even to know it was there. I should probably borrow Final Fantasy Chronicles from my friend and check it out before I say anything more certain though. :)