What's new

Under powered power supply for the computer: Degrades performance of computer?

Josep

eyerun4phun
I have an athlon xp 1.4ghz, my power supply is 250 watts, does the power of my power supply affect the overall performance of the computer? And something different, if one hd with the os installed on it is formatted to NTFS and the other one is formatted to FAT32, does that make a difference in performance? any input would be nice;)

2fast4u

yup. ntfs and fat32 make a difference in performance. in general ntfs is the better choice (if u really want performance use linux ;)).

the power supply shouldnt affect u as far as i know.

Slougi

The power supply doesn't affect sys performance, but if it's underpowered ur pc will start reseting by itself anf otherwise behaving strangely.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
well, i mean, does it matter if i have one hd at NTFS and one at FAT32 on the same comp, like does that have any effect cause they are differently formatted hds or what?

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
WAAAAAIT

Don't just blindly follow what people say here and go convert to NTFS.

But first things first. More recent videocards might want alot from your power supply. So will AMD CPUs. If you notice your PC 'hangs' (black screen) your videocard can't pull it. If it starts resetting on its own, your CPU can't pull it. 300Watt or more should be fine, though.

Now about NTFS vs. FAT(32)

*Yes, it's more secure. Although a PC is as secure as the person operating it.
*Maybe, it's faster (althought I say no, because of it having to track all cluster sizes (yes clustersizes can vary, but that's a long ass story on itself))
*Yes, it's more efficient (diskwise. Clustersizes can vary, wich means you can have a 4kb file in a 4kb cluster instead of using up a 32kb cluster, thus having 28kb slack space (extreme examples))

BUT

1. Windows 9x can't read NTFS disks. Only NT or 2K (from the Microsoft product family). Windows XP can read both FAT32 and NTFS. With 3rd party products, Windows 9x can read NTFS disks too. However, you cannot install Windows 9x on a NTFS disk and let it boot from that.

2. Converting a HD to NTFS is nice. If, however, for some reason you want to migrate back to FAT32, you're screwed. You'll notice at first that it simply won't work. Then you'll search around and find out that in fact you can turn a NTFS disk back to FAT32. Although, and this is from experience, this often results in data loss. There's no problem whatsoever converting an empty NTFS disk back to FAT32, but when there's files on... watch it.

2fast4u said:
i did that for a while. doesn't bother the sys.

*sighs* It does.

I've noted pro's and con's. Now it's up for you to decide.

2fast4u

ok, i so forgot to mention that, sue me...

1.) it should be common knowledge that only nt (NT file system) 2k (which is basically nt) and xp can read ntfs.

2.) what u said. i did it with an empty disk after 2k screwed up.

3.) like what problems redah?