What's new

n64 music player

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterE

is there some kind of tool that can extract/play the music files inside n64 roms ???

thanks...

have phun

OP
M

MisterE

i can't find anything there :(
Could you please search for the name of the tool....

Thanks in advance :)

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
It is named sound lib extractor. It is in the rom rippers section of end user tools. There's also a vadpcm player, in the Build tools section of N64 developpement.

But I repeat, don't expect anything of these tools, I never get any result.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Basically, the util extracts sound samples. But the music isn't a sound sample. It's generated real-time using sound samples and some sort of a music sheet if you will. Kind of like a Wave Synth.

OP
M

MisterE

hmmm, and nobody can/created a tool which just show the music files inside a rom in a list.
I know 'Game Audio Player' but this is only for PC games.

BTW: i know that 'conkers bad fur day' use MP3 inside. is there a tool which can rip mp3's. Normally i use WinRipper but it support everything except mp3 ;)

so, maybe a idea for a coder to create such a (little) tool, to just show the music and play it ????

have phun....

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no, like Azimer was saying, the music doesnt exist until the RSP creates it. The N64 is a very unusual games system because it has no "sound chip", everything is done in software and general purpose processors. You probably can't even find where in the ROM the relevant code is stored, except perhaps for a specific game. To put it another way, the game contains its own player(s). So to play the music you have to be running the whole shebang. Azimer will correct me.

OP
M

MisterE

that badly :(

I hope someone can create a tool who can play the files, or just convert a emulator to a player;)
Ripping the unneeded parts from the programs.
I can't code C :(

I like some music from games.....

OP
M

MisterE

but if every gamefacturer use it's own sound processing unit then it will probably very difficult to find and play the files,

probably some use off scripts are required.....
It think i can't program that in Delphi :(

Maybe a post for the developers section ?

greetz,

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I think it is probably possible to make a tool like that, i don't know how but maybe it's possible. The biggest problem is that i think that in order to understand how the music is stored you have to write an emulator's sound plug-in. Once you will have done that, maybe you will have the knowledge to locate sound list, and find a way to locate music in the rom but i doubt it is possible. If a tool like that would exist one day, i think it will be an option in a sound plug-in that when the user want will try to find the limits of the current music in the memory and decode it. But a tool like that is so difficult to make (and is not really usefull since you can log azimer plugin's sound...).

But if you really want to make it, it is possible to write in delphi, it will just be very very time consuming : ask Azimer how much time (years) he have worked on his sound plug-in.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
You can rip the music. It would just require some rom hacking. It's not as nice as say... SPC where the console uploads all the Music at once to a dedicated chip. Just don't look at me to write the program to rip/play music :) That it out of my domain.

OP
M

MisterE

euh azimer.......i'm looking to you (very nice)...... :)
I think i have to drop the idea.....

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
hmm...

This sounds kinda similar to snes, which also uses samples, kinda like a MOD file. Do you think you could do what snes emulators do (ie. zSnes), where you have to run the emu, play up to a point, then hit Save SPC file just before the music starts to play? Or is the N64 even harder than that?

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Re: hmm...

zAlbee said:
This sounds kinda similar to snes, which also uses samples, kinda like a MOD file. Do you think you could do what snes emulators do (ie. zSnes), where you have to run the emu, play up to a point, then hit Save SPC file just before the music starts to play? Or is the N64 even harder than that?

You didn't hear what I was saying... SPC is a dedicated sound chip on the SNES. All of its music is uploaded at once or very close to it. The N64 uses PCM for the most part and a large amount of the audio code is done in software on the R4300 side. So this would require we rip it from the rom directly.

O

overkill

The link to the winamp plugin is on the 1st page, so I would imagine so.

Anyway, this is news to me

Status
Not open for further replies.