What's new

Carrington Institute - Discussions here

Knuckles

I know I don't make a LOT of update and not always the same map, but I want to work on what I want to work on to ;) Here's the Carrington Institute. Right now, only the Joanna and Carrington's Offices are done.

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

mmhh, no replies this time, Time for a big little update :)

here's the work I did on the Institute so far:

Exterior:
CI3.JPG

Primary Hall:
CI4.JPG

Shooting Range 1:
CI5.JPG

Shooting Range 2:
CI6.JPG

:)

-Shadow-

Banned
Wow ! knux u rox ! Have you made your own static meshes for this map ? If yes : How the hell can i do static meshes???

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

I want to add something,the big problem is, since UT2k3 engine is more advanced then the N64 one, some effects cant be reproduced exactly, for windows/ reflections/ mirrors/ etc.

N64 draw each part in separated parts, so mirror effects are simply the level re-copied mirrored below the original. and even if there is something below (another room) it wont cut it since this part wont be loaded until you reach this part and at this time, the other one will be unloaded to clear the memory.

that's why the exterior part won't look actually 100% as the original, some part don't fit if everything would be loaded, look at this pic (from original game):
ex1.JPG

this one show the diff between both interior and exterior, the top one in out, the other one is inside.

now look like what it look like from the top view, (same here, top part is outside, 2nd is inside)
ex2.JPG

you can see that from the exterior part, the building seems in right lane but from inside, the 2nd part of the offices are at 45 degrees from the 1st part.

and now what it looks like when we put both of them one on the other:
ex3.JPG

see that it doesn't fit at all. that's the proof that due to both engine, perfect copy is impossible, but I'll try to work with that, since all the interior is done to fit, I'll change the exterior to make it looks better and not to screw up the interior ;)

that's all I wanted to say :p

EDIT: Yes, I'm using static meshes, that's what I did for the tables, PC, etc. It's simple, I just had to do the thing I want (let's take the table) , do it the good size, put good textures on it and all the stuff in normal add/subbstract meshes, after everything is done, just have to select all I did and select Convert -> to Static Meshes , put it in a package, deleted the brush that were used to make it, put the new static mesh at the good place, scale it if needed, compile, save the package, save the map, and get ingame :p

simple!

Last edited:
OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

I will post some new shots of the Carrington Institute in the next days, stays tunned :)

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

here, some more shots, now, I'm stucks somewhere that I can't really continue until UnrealED4 is out (ut2k4) I need a fix to the mirror floor.

here's 3 shots so far:
NOTE: those part aren't 100% finished, it's normal that there is some missing parts.

CI7.JPG

CI8.JPG

CI9.JPG

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

ok, I finally started, I extracted the Goldeneye citadel vrml, converted to t3d for unrealED and started to remake it. It's hard to remake since the level is still in his beta stages, there is lof of missing walls/rooms and there is parts of some rooms that collide/get thru other rooms. ther map will not be 100% exact but it will be the most citadel "look" as possible. I will also add what is missing (holes in wall = corridors, ect). Also, by the look of the map, it will be a CTF, there is 2 spots that seems to had been done for that (they might wanted to include that in GE is beta stages?). Also, since there is no real textures for citadel, I will use those from ut2k3/ut2k4. this time, it's the only map that I can't perfectly convert due to the missing of too many things.

XxCrashxX

DO you think you could release the complex that looks really good

oh and btw www.web1000.com is a great host with no ads or popups
if your still in need of a host I notice you were using lycos

Last edited:
OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

the complex isn't done yet, I started, and put it on the hold, so far, there is no really other maps that Ravine a Skedar done.

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
Knuckles, do you think you could use some GE textures to create Citadel? .. it would give it that GE feel..

But i'm not the one running the show here so what do i know? :p

OP
Knuckles

Knuckles

hehe, well, this time, it's really a remake, sorry :p

btw, I will re-arrange the dataDyne Tower , I will do a beta release after (supposed) with the top floor, and the 3 first floors.