What's new

Browsing with firefox

riles9262

My dissident is here...
While browsing with an alternate web browser (firefox and i believe opera has the problem too), when you go back or forward pages, it defaults you to the top of the forum, instead of where you left off (say if I was down the page a few topics). Like I said, this works fine in ie, but firefox and possibly opera goes up to the top of the forums.

I don't have this problem with other forums I visit, so if it's not too much trouble, is it possible to change this minor inconvenience?
thanks.

Gorxon

Administrator
I use Opera 7.54 and experience none of this. It goes back to the exact place I left the other page. It really sounds like a browser issue as I can't possible see what on these boards can cause something like that to happen. Then again, I could of course be wrong. Anyone else with this problem?

OP
riles9262

riles9262

My dissident is here...
Sorry, I just tested opera, and it does not. However, firefox does (using 1.0, but .9 did the same).

sheik124

Emutalk Member
works fine with me, sometimes it doesn't, like if i haven't clicked anything on the page or typed anything into the quick reply box

OP
riles9262

riles9262

My dissident is here...
it never works for me in firefox, but does all the time in ie. Maybe it has something to do with the extensions that I'm using...hopefully more firefox users will reply.

smcd

I've noticed this and so have several of my friends - I do believe it to be firefox related. Does anyone have mozilla installed as well & see if it does this too, since they're related?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Happens when using firefox. I believe I have java and flash installed in firefox 1.0, but that's all. Same problem as described above. Seems like a firefox issue.

JinXD

Doomulation said:
Happens when using firefox. I believe I have java and flash installed in firefox 1.0, but that's all. Same problem as described above. Seems like a firefox issue.
+1

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
goes to the top of the page when going back for me as well.. but really is this such a big deal... how often are we going to do it hehe.

Doomulation

Everytime browsing a thread? Like I do.
Not that much of an issue, but an issue nevertheless, it shall be reported ;)

JinXD

Doomulation said:
Everytime browsing a thread? Like I do.
Don't know if you meant me, ScottJC or both of us. Everytime i refresh or go back a thread it goes to the top of the page.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well I think we've all established that Firefox resets the page to the top now, its either a Firefox issue or a vBulletin issue, my guess would be Firefox since it doesn't do it on other browsers, I suggest you submit the bug to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ (Mozilla's official bug reporting place).

OP
riles9262

riles9262

My dissident is here...
But then browsing the vBulletin community forum or other forums built on vbulletin 3.0.x such as Driverheaven and rage3d, the issue does not happen...that's why it seems like a site issue to me.

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
riles9262 said:
But then browsing the vBulletin community forum or other forums built on vbulletin 3.0.x such as Driverheaven and rage3d, the issue does not happen...that's why it seems like a site issue to me.

If you use those sites then quite frankly you deserve whatever happens to you :p

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
vampireuk said:
If you use those sites then quite frankly you deserve whatever happens to you :p
I believe he was pointing out other sites that use similar boards to emutalks that do not display this issue. I use Rage3D and nothing "bad" has ever happened to me so I fail to see your point ;)

Trotterwatch

I think he was making a joke based on the fact that Rage3D is or was (seems to be a little better last I checked) full of total fanboys :) I would figure the same may be true of Driverheaven too.

OP
riles9262

riles9262

My dissident is here...
Don't worry, the joke did not fall on deaf ears :D Those sites of course are nothing compared to nvnews.net for fanboyishness, but they (especially rage3d) are not perfect. The fact is that other vbulletin forums don't display the issue (at least no others that I use) so can anything be done?

Doomulation

The developers should take a look at the problem. Since it's fine in other browsers, something on the site makes firefox go nuts. So basically it's a firefox issue. The developers should (hopefully) be able to find out what is it quickly. On the other hand, that doesn't mean they might release a patch :p

But how the hell do we know what on the site is causing it?

Don't know if you meant me, ScottJC or both of us. Everytime i refresh or go back a thread it goes to the top of the page.
It seems the browser goes weird as long as you hit the back button (forward button too). It doesn't matter the url, only that it's on this board.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
probably a scripting issue. there is a <body onload="editInit();"> which probably interferes since it gets run every time the page is loaded (eg. via back-button).

OP
riles9262

riles9262

My dissident is here...
Whatever the outcome, I'm back in opera's hands now...the 7.6 and now the version 8 beta are just awesome. Hopefully the firefox issue will get resolved at some point anyway.