What's new

Format

Rommer

I downloaded 2 ROMs (Super Smash Bros. and Rayman 2) and they're in .exe format . With Nemu 64, I could just swoop the files onto the Nemu64.exe file, but they don't work perfectly with Nemu. And when I try it with Project 64, when I swoop the files, it says:'failed to open file´. Is there any way to play them or transform them into .v64 / a playable format?

AMD Athlon 800 mHz
Windows 2000 professional
128 MB of RAM
nVidia TNT 2 Ultra
Jabo plugins

OP
R

Rommer

Can't extract them, they're really .exe files, if I double-click them, I see a lil'black screen coming up, then it vanishes, and nothing more happens.

Allnatural

It's possible that your roms have renamed extensions. Getting them to work is simply a matter of changing the extension to something the emulator will recognize. Common formats include .z64, .v64, and .rom . Which one you choose isn't entirely important, PJ64 will open it anyway.

If however, you want to be exact about things (a good idea IMO), there are tools out there that will apply the proper extension for your roms. Check Smiff's website www.smiff.clara.net . There is a good section on rom management there; you should find all you need.:)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
uhuhuhuhhhuhh this makes no sense to me, how is he dropping exes onto nemu. if they work in nemu, they must be roms, and if they're roms, you can rename then extension to .rom and scan them with GoodN64 to see what they are exactly. Umm.

Allnatural

Smiff said:
how is he dropping exes onto nemu.
He's not dropping, he's swooping.;)

Heck, I don't know what he's doing??? SSB works pretty well in Nemu, so they're probably bad roms anyway.

Ice Blitz

Well, they could be good roms, but they may just be named with genuine ignorance and stupidity. Who knows.

If it doesn't have a .zip, .ace, .rar, or a common N64 extension, I immediately take it as bad or hacked and just leave it be.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ice Blitz said:
Well, they could be good roms, but they may just be named with genuine ignorance and stupidity. Who knows.

If it doesn't have a .zip, .ace, .rar, or a common N64 extension, I immediately take it as bad or hacked and just leave it be.
Bah to that! I think it's idiotic!
A good good is scanned by goodn64 BEFORE it's considered bad!
Or it has a [!] at the end of the filename.

Ice Blitz

Well I know that. I'm just saying that I usually go with a properly named rom. That cuts down on any that I may have to DL all over again. Big haggle on slower conn.

Allnatural

The real point of contention here is the fact that the roms will apparently run on Nemu, but not on PJ64. I'm not sure why I went to the trouble of telling him to rename the roms. PJ64 will open them anyway, giving them a proper extension only puts them in the browser. If they simply don't work, renaming them does nothing.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rommer

I found out the files are MS-DOS programs, and when I open them in full screen, it sais: 'Program too big for memory'. All the GoodN64 programs didn't work, and when I change the extension of the ROM to .v64 / .n64 / .rom, and press OK, the file doesn't change, but another Icon is created in the map with my ROM's and that file doesn't work too. Hope y´all get my story, please help.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok you really have no idea about any of this do you :)

You use an EMULATOR (PJ64, 1964, uHLE etc) to open a ROM (Mario, Zelda, etc). That means, you start the emulator, then from within the emulator, you load the ROM (usually from the FILE menu), then the emulator starts running the ROM. a ROM is not something that can be run on its own, because its not a PC program, its just a file, understand?

N-Rage

Rommer said:
I found out the files are MS-DOS programs, and when I open them in full screen, it sais: 'Program too big for memory'. All the GoodN64 programs didn't work, and when I change the extension of the ROM to .v64 / .n64 / .rom, and press OK, the file doesn't change, but another Icon is created in the map with my ROM's and that file doesn't work too. Hope y´all get my story, please help.

very likely a self-extracting archive. usually they extract all files in the same directory if u run em.
U can also try using Winace to extract em, if theire really archives it should work.