What's new

1964 0.9.9 problematic in Windows 98

petronius79

I am one of those whose disliked WIndows XP and switched back to old Windows 98. they are much faster (2x at least) than Xp with the same specifications. But in enmulation the speed is more or less the same. I had time to test 1964 0.9.9 in WIndows XP and noticed that the frame rate was much greater in Xp than WIndows 98. In version 0.85 the speed has more or less the same high framerate both in XP and 98. In Project64 the framerate is the same as in 0.85.

Eg in Mario64 in Xp it was 120 fps while in Windows 98 it falls at 60 fps. More or less the same in Zelda, from 80 to 50 fps. Is 0.9.9 more Xp oriented? Or is there some negligence in the code (who uses Windows 98 for games nowadays?)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
gandalf said:
Is 0.9.9 more Xp oriented?

YeS

For me, (maybe because I have an Athlon) Windows 98 SE is usually faster than Windows XP with Nintendo 64 emulation.

But, I saw vice-versa with 3D Mark 2001 SE. 3D Mark 2001 SE always gave me a lower performance measurement with Windows 98 SE than with Windows XP.

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
1964 is more xp/nt orientated i'd say, personally if you don't like xp and like a nice speed and also value stability, i'd highly recommend windows 2000 myself

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
gandalf said:
i have an duron and 1964 0.9.9 crahses in win ME.
Don´t try Win 98

Probably bad Windows 9x drivers. For me, Windows 98 SE works excellent with 1964. That don't mean 1964 is Windows 2000 and Windows XP oriented. It's probably just the fact that Windows 9x don't like some motherboards. It's probably just the fact that with some motherboards, likely an issue that's nForce chipset related only work properly with Windows XP and Windows 2000.

The Via KT400 chipset seems to work excellent with Windows 98 SE. The Asus A7V8X-X motherboard is compatible with Windows 98 SE.

Last edited:

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
Stezo2k said:
1964 is more xp/nt orientated i'd say, personally if you don't like xp and like a nice speed and also value stability, i'd highly recommend windows 2000 myself

Mmm, you beat me to it... although, if you ever use Windows 2000, never turn off hardware acceleration in Winamp. Your sound will cut out the first time the system experiences heavy load.

OP
P

petronius79

Stezo2k said:

I mainly used Windows 98 because Pinnaclesystems didnt produce an NT driver for my videocapture card which has a capture rate of 3 MB/s. Video producing is mainly the reason I use the computer. Well I have still version 0.85 which still rocks. The newer plugins work the same in both anyway.

RJARRRPCGP said:
robably bad Windows 9x drivers. For me, Windows 98 SE works excellent with 1964. That don't mean 1964 is Windows 2000 and Windows XP oriented. It's probably just the fact that Windows 9x don't like some motherboards. It's probably just the fact that with some motherboards, likely an issue that's nForce chipset related only work properly with Windows XP and Windows 2000.

The Via KT400 chipset seems to work excellent with Windows 98 SE. The Asus A7V8X-X motherboard is compatible with Windows 98 SE.

Ironically those boards cause serious performance problems in the Mirovideo DC10 card. I have an ECS P4VXASD AMI motherboard. the only problem I have is that it doesnt accept an old AGP Nvidia TNT2 card .