What's new

How do I hook up the Universal Component Cable

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
You need a TV that supports component video (3 inputs for video). These are usually only available on newer, big screen TVs, or high-def TVs. The page there seems to suggest that the components are R, G, and B, although I've never seen that type in use. I'm guessing that it is one of YUV, YPbPr, or YCbCr. (I have the second type myself, for my DVD player to TV).

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

sheik124

Emutalk Member
YCbCr, YPbPr, and YUV are just different ways of describing component cables, in the end, they are all just cables with RCA jacks, i use normal video + audio l/r cables sometimes for component when i don't have one on hand, and it works fine
yo, if ur tv doesn't have those inputs, i'll gladly take that off your hands minkster

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Technically, since the cables don't matter, YCbCr, YPbPr, and YUV are not different ways of describing component cables at all. They describe different types of component signals (different formulas for converting RGB to Y-- are in that wikipedia entry). After reading a bit more, I'm going to guess that all TVs use YPbPr, since it seems YPbPr is for analog video, YCbCr is for digital video, YUV is for PAL, and YIQ is for NTSC. Not that anyone really cares :p

OP
minkster

minkster

Yup I don't have those inputs....I don't even have it on my Sony Trinitron HD TV. Oh well...I'll just stick with the original component cable...but thanks for the advice everyone :)

sheik124

Emutalk Member
wait wait, you say you are using a component cable on your tv, but you can't find the inputs on your tv, i just think you are misled is all. look for a set of three jacks on your tv (back, never seen them on front) red, green, and blue, should be labeled, HD, Component, or YPbPr or something like that. in layman's terms, just plug them in where ur normal component cable used to go, simple. unless you meant composite cable, which is the Yellow video plug, which is usually accompanied by white and red audio plugs (left and right respectively)