What's new

Windows XP vs Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/2000

Tesla-Guy

BTW half ppl here are using XP having no problems at all and nemu is being developed on windows XP (next version) :p

_gpf_

Nah, I'm not bashing XP. I just personally don't use it b/c I had some annoying issues with it when I first installed it, so now I'm back to 2000. (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?)

I couldn't get my printer to work no matter what drivers I used. Then, using my mfg's video drivers would routinely crash XP and using MS drivers wasn't fast at all. Does it make sense to me? No, but 2000 is just fine until we see a WinXP SP1 or something. :)

Trotterwatch

WINXP IS GARBAGE

I don't quite understand how many people say that. XP has been rock solid ever since I purchased it.

The problems arise from user error not OS error. Not a single crash for me and I own a particularly troublesome system.

GeForce2 MX
SB Live Platinum
Via KT133a based motherboard
Athlon 900

No problems at all.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Trotterwatch said:

I don't quite understand how many people say that. XP has been rock solid ever since I purchased it.

The problems arise from user error not OS error. Not a single crash for me and I own a particularly troublesome system.

GeForce2 MX
SB Live Platinum
Via KT133a based motherboard
Athlon 900

No problems at all.

here here

OP
Tesla-Guy

Tesla-Guy

nah XP rocks, if you do a clean install. Upgrade makes it suck. I thought it sucked before clean installing :cool:

OP
Tesla-Guy

Tesla-Guy

and it's moved to Moved By Moderators and NOT Talk of the Town cauz i *predict* that this thread is going to grow *a bit*

RPGlover12

Tesla-Guy said:
nah XP rocks, if you do a clean install. Upgrade makes it suck. I thought it sucked before clean installing :cool:
still not me adn my friend has winxp proff and it sucks cause only the explorer all others are just fine but the explorer is the worst thing every 3 minutes it hangs :pissed: :angry: and that shit internet explorer if it just fixed i will say that winxp rules :)

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Thanks to WinXP by M$ by Bill (the :devil: ) Gates totally screwed up my PC so stick with Win98 SE It's still the best :) IMO

RPGlover12

win 2000 still rules and linux just that i can't play games :( if there is anything that i can play games on it i will say thatits the best but i still need to play half life , counter strike , tennis masters series , emulation , etc.............. thats why i dont want to put it but its cool os.

Slougi

I have a dual boot seyup, winxp and win98. I have used win98 only for settlers 2 so far, all the other stuff has worked :)
WinXP is one of the best os'es around IMO, it has never crashed here
Runing a OC'ed Duron @920Mhz
Sounblaster 128 PCI
Geforce 2 MX 400
kt133A
Dvd-Rom
CD-RW
Software modem

Josep

eyerun4phun
haha, xp is great, you guys are complete dorks if you think your the only one that can't get it to work. And yes winxp can crash allot, microsoft did a good job of hiding it and making it a really quick process, ever have you icons on your desktop or have your tool bar at the bottom dissappear and then come back seconds later, or sometimes minutes, well you just crashed, winxp just hides it and does a better job, thats one benefit thats already good about xp;)

Pheo

i have not explored xp too much but like the menu which pops up when you press ctl+alt+del. and of course it loads faster.

but all in all, i would stick with 98 and 2000 because i have had many compatibility problems with drivers on xp

Pheo

i have to admit, os X is pretty sweet but i haven't played with it too much but find linix a load of fun. Not with partitions though

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I have no problems with XP at all, and I prefer it from all the win9X versions. After a week of using XP i went back to 2k, not because of XP itself, I just didn't know how to configure XP properly Mainly I didn't like how everything was shifted around, it was being more of a hassle then anything else. The one day, I saw a site, it was for style XP. For me, thats the only thing that XP has over win2k, the was you can setup your theme.

:D

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Malcolm said:
I have no problems with XP at all, and I prefer it from all the win9X versions. After a week of using XP i went back to 2k, not because of XP itself, I just didn't know how to configure XP properly Mainly I didn't like how everything was shifted around, it was being more of a hassle then anything else. The one day, I saw a site, it was for style XP. For me, thats the only thing that XP has over win2k, the was you can setup your theme.

:D

That, and you can actually play most of your games :)