PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request

Fender432
October 6th, 2004, 22:22
Well this is for future versions of Jnes.
1. I would like to have the par cheat device to be added along with the GG.
2. I would like to have the Movie record feature like the one Znes has.

Thanks.

xamenus
October 9th, 2004, 06:17
These sound like reasonable requests to me. :) The RAM type codes would be useful for hacking your own codes. And the movie recording option is a cool feature as well (to show off your 1337 gaming skills to people :P).

dewhashish
December 16th, 2004, 03:37
Can you add an accelerator to the emulator like the ZSNES or Visual Boy Advance. This is the best emulator and all it needs is button you can press to make the game run at a higher FPS.

Jabo
December 20th, 2004, 00:01
a few of the ideas are actually already done, i just need to get more free time to leading the project toward a release, every time i get free time something stupid happens like a computer crash..

thanks for keeping the spirit alive tho :)

retroK
December 20th, 2004, 01:11
Hi Jabo,

great to see that you are still working on JNes. Keep up the good work!

dewhashish
December 20th, 2004, 03:25
a few of the ideas are actually already done, i just need to get more free time to leading the project toward a release, every time i get free time something stupid happens like a computer crash..

thanks for keeping the spirit alive tho

which is, the accelerator or the movie thing

Shpongled
January 10th, 2005, 11:07
jNES is the best emulator I've ever used for NES. I'm extremely happy that the author is still working on it, and hasn't abandoned the project just because the system is old.

Mapper #119 -- Pinbot (U) [!]
Any chance of having Mapper #119 support? I don't know too much about this subject, but is there a download for additional mapper support or something?

The fast-forward feature would be great, as the person above suggested. Especially for skipping those start-up screens.

Once again, thanks for not abandoning this project. You make a lot of people happy. :bouncy:

Jabo
January 19th, 2005, 01:34
I think the featuare set for the next jnes (probably 0.6) is pretty set... a lot of the ideas you guys have are great (like movies, accelerators) but I have to cut the builds at some point... the upside to that is it can be released at some point

no idea when, but it'll happen this year ;-)

ClamIAm
January 24th, 2005, 07:22
Source code.

MasterPhW
January 27th, 2005, 11:44
Source code.
Be quiet, please!
If you need source you will get it from a lot other NES emus, but not from Jabos projects!

smcd
January 27th, 2005, 23:37
Source code isn't really a feature request, either.

knowitman
January 28th, 2005, 04:38
I think the featuare set for the next jnes (probably 0.6) is pretty set... a lot of the ideas you guys have are great (like movies, accelerators) but I have to cut the builds at some point... the upside to that is it can be released at some point

no idea when, but it'll happen this year ;-)

Nice to know that you are still working on Jnes. I like it when you are providing this free program and taking user requests for what you will put into it. I think it is nice when you don't have to listen to us at all, but you choose to. I can't wait for the next release.

Shpongled
February 18th, 2005, 14:38
The ability to resize the browse window and save the column sizes would be nice. So you can maximize the browse window, or move the width of the columns (or turn some off, like mappers) and those preferences would be saved for next time JNES is opened.

Great program, btw. :) You rock!

drybed
March 5th, 2005, 01:33
you know what would be a really good feature that Jnes needs, a way to talk in net play (kaillera)
Like in mame32k, you can talk while playing, by pressing "T" on your keyboard, this would be great if it was on Jnes, or is there already a way to chat in kaillera while playing on Jnes, and it showing up on the screen while your playing

Jabo
March 10th, 2005, 03:37
you know what would be a really good feature that Jnes needs, a way to talk in net play (kaillera)
Like in mame32k, you can talk while playing, by pressing "T" on your keyboard, this would be great if it was on Jnes, or is there already a way to chat in kaillera while playing on Jnes, and it showing up on the screen while your playing

if my rusty memory serves me i think kaillera does support that, so I'll take a look

zick
March 16th, 2005, 14:44
i've got some simple requests, probably really easy to deal with ...
the first is to change the extension of the *.sav file, maybe to *.nsv or *.nesav. the reason for this is so we can add the save file to our class list in windows registry and give it a seperate icon. alot of other emulators use the *.sav file extension for their save files and it'd be nice to differentiate between different backup files.
the second is to have a contest for a nicer icon set (application, generic rom, generic save file). i use 96x96 icons by default on my system cause it's displayed on a tv that i sit far away from. the default icon doesn't look all that good at that size. also, i don't believe its xp compatible (no alpha).
third, and not as important and probably stupid to ask, but could you release a kallera-free version. i don't use netplay and think it's stupid to have it, but i could just be stupid for not. i don't know.

thanx for listenning and i still think your the best nes emulator out there. too bad you didn't make other emu's for other systems; they probably would all be as good.

*Anubis*
March 17th, 2005, 14:27
FIrst to congratulate on a great NES emulator.

And only one request: Can we have 7-Zip and Rar support? (same as we have .zip suppor right now)

Felius
March 17th, 2005, 15:51
Thanks for the hard work you've already put into such a good emulator. I've recently tried several NES emulators and your's was the best :king: .

There is one feature of ZSNES that I now realize I took for granted, and dearly miss; the remapable savestate key. I have come to depend on being able to quickly save without having to shift my hand from the input keys. This is the one feature that I find severly lacking in Jnes and just about every other emulator I've tried. With F5 as my only option for saves, I have to either take my hand off the controls or map A&B buttons to F6 and F7. Not only does that put my hand in an awkward position :down: , but it's too far from alt-tab for a quick switch back to the code window when the boss walks by. :saint:

So my suggestion would be do a little copy/paste in the code so we can remap the savestate and perhaps even loadstate keys to something like pagedown or space.

Yes, I know abusing the save state is cheating, but . . . :blush:

Jabo
April 13th, 2005, 17:02
A lot of suggestions and I appreciate that people are thinking.

Obviously it's not practical to do things that a small percentage of people would use (especially if I wouldnt :whistling) that said..

Kaillera-free ; if you actually delete the kaillera.dll it is a kaillera free version :p this isn't by accident

Joystick resetting to defaults automatically? i would have to try this out, but I know i've never had this problem. the only thing it does is set your joystick to "none" since you dont have anything plugged in..

about icons, i dont like running a `contest` per se, but if you have some unsolicitated artwork you want to submit feel free to post it, just dont be offended if its not used that's all i ask

*Anubis*
April 14th, 2005, 21:42
A lot of suggestions and I appreciate that people are thinking.

Obviously it's not practical to do things that a small percentage of people would use (especially if I wouldnt :whistling) that said..

Kaillera-free ; if you actually delete the kaillera.dll it is a kaillera free version :p this isn't by accident

Joystick resetting to defaults automatically? i would have to try this out, but I know i've never had this problem. the only thing it does is set your joystick to "none" since you dont have anything plugged in..

about icons, i dont like running a `contest` per se, but if you have some unsolicitated artwork you want to submit feel free to post it, just dont be offended if its not used that's all i ask

So I guess you are not using 7-zip or rar archives, which are more popular now days then zip. (new 7-zip GoodNES-merge takes less space then zip version)

To bad...

qazwsx
May 2nd, 2005, 18:04
I was thinking about a feature, but now that I think about it, I am not sure a lot of people would use it. For some games, you have to wait sometimes, and so I was trying to use another program while Jnes was running, but it would pause the game. (For example, in Final Fantasy, I would tell all the guys to attack and then want to send an IM to someone while the battle was going on). I was wondering if there was a way so that the game would not pause when I was using another application. Now that I think about it, this may be very annoying for some games if you accidentally click outside the Jnes window.

I am not sure if a lot of people would use it, but just an idea.

Jabo
May 2nd, 2005, 19:12
It's probably not immediately obvious, maybe it's not even properly documented, but in the settings dialog there is an option called "Sleep while in background" or something similar - turn it off .. this should solve your problem

qazwsx
May 3rd, 2005, 03:54
Thankyou

Adaman
May 13th, 2005, 10:38
Hey Jabo, very nice emulator. I've been using Jnes for a long time, and happy to see it keep improving. Though i wouldn't be replying if i didn't have a suggestion.

One thing some emulators have, like the much mentioned Znes, is a turbo key. I'm not talking about turbo on the controllers, but just to speed by things in the games. You know, the loading parts, the boring parts, the inbetween things. It's really nice to be able to fast forward on the fly. If there is that option in other emulators, i always configure it to a button, so i can skip ahead really quick. It's a great feature to have. I like it anyways. Would love to see it in Jnes and any other emulator i ever use.

Liquid Sam
June 10th, 2005, 22:57
So I guess you are not using 7-zip or rar archives, which are more popular now days then zip. (new 7-zip GoodNES-merge takes less space then zip version)

To bad...

I too would like to second this request

Jabo, Great work on the emulator! It's the best i've used.

mastrboy
June 26th, 2005, 21:44
would like to have filename of rom when screenshots are taken,

and removed the left pixelated bar i super mario bros 3. (can see it in some other games to, but this is also a bug in ultrafce)

I have checked the rom and it is not corrupt..

mastrboy
June 26th, 2005, 23:18
dont mind that bar, found the option for it.

But the command line in the version 0.6 seems broken, only open jnes any way i try, (with and without quotes, with and withour short filename, even unzipped)

Jabo
June 27th, 2005, 18:12
Yea, we should probably put bugs in the 0.6 feedback thread, but command-line in currently broken, it probably happened to due the new rom browser interface, but without looking i suppose i can't say

if that's the only bug tho i'll be glad :)

anarkhy
June 28th, 2005, 09:48
is there a problem with kaillera? when i connect i choose create game and there is nothing there.

then i look at the file NETPLAY.CACHE and its empty, i tried to delete the file, cleared the registry, reinstalled jnes and cant get it to work...

Gelon.com
June 28th, 2005, 12:40
Great emu Jabo.

I think that the emulator need the hq2x filter

:whistling

Jabo
June 28th, 2005, 15:06
is there a problem with kaillera? when i connect i choose create game and there is nothing there.

then i look at the file NETPLAY.CACHE and its empty, i tried to delete the file, cleared the registry, reinstalled jnes and cant get it to work...

there's a kaillera guide somewhere I thought, but the moral of the story is that it's not picking up where your roms are, hence the empty netplay.cache, I haven't been having any problems with this, but make sure you are selecting the proper directory (it validates things prior to adding them)

i can't test the connecting due to firewall, but my netplay.cache is populating properly

and this is another question best served in the 0.6 feedback thread :)

anarkhy
June 29th, 2005, 05:13
there's a kaillera guide somewhere I thought, but the moral of the story is that it's not picking up where your roms are, hence the empty netplay.cache, I haven't been having any problems with this, but make sure you are selecting the proper directory (it validates things prior to adding them)

i can't test the connecting due to firewall, but my netplay.cache is populating properly

and this is another question best served in the 0.6 feedback thread :)

ok, its working now, i think the problem has something to do with long directory filenames, i moved the nes and roms directory from H:\EMULATORS\NES\ROMS to H:\NES\ROMS

Jabo
June 29th, 2005, 18:44
ok, its working now, i think the problem has something to do with long directory filenames, i moved the nes and roms directory from H:\EMULATORS\NES\ROMS to H:\NES\ROMS

Hmm good feedback, I'll give it a try

spicydeath82
June 30th, 2005, 05:17
I read your interview with Opi so i relise that it isn't easy but i'd apperciate more mappers. some games made by independent groups, like code masters, don't always work with jnes i've noticed. I tried to play the fantastic adventures of dizzy, and at the bottom it said
ERROR Mapper #7 not supported. but all in all i like this Emulator the best.

Adaman
December 24th, 2006, 12:29
Bump for Jabo (if he's still working on Jnes). Did you ever see this? Only been there a year 1/2 or so :p - I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature

Hey Jabo, very nice emulator. I've been using Jnes for a long time, and happy to see it keep improving. Though i wouldn't be replying if i didn't have a suggestion.

One thing some emulators have, like the much mentioned Znes, is a turbo key. I'm not talking about turbo on the controllers, but just to speed by things in the games. You know, the loading parts, the boring parts, the inbetween things. It's really nice to be able to fast forward on the fly. If there is that option in other emulators, i always configure it to a button, so i can skip ahead really quick. It's a great feature to have. I like it anyways. Would love to see it in Jnes and any other emulator i ever use.

I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature, then again I really haven't looked much. I don't play NES too much.

Allnatural
December 24th, 2006, 15:29
I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature, then again I really haven't looked much. I don't play NES too much.
fyi, fce ultra does.

Jabo
December 28th, 2006, 17:02
Bump for Jabo (if he's still working on Jnes). Did you ever see this? Only been there a year 1/2 or so :p - I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature

In the 'bugtracker' thread there is a wishlist/enhancement section, the least I can do is add this to it so it's visible to myself (i forget very easily) and others, thanks for the suggestion

Nigra_Bill
February 4th, 2007, 23:24
CRITICAL FEATURES

1) FDS support
2) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
3) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
4) More mappers more compatibility blah blah
5) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
6) Option to delete netplay.cache file from within GUI (pain in the ass to have to have three seperate explorer windows open)

NICE FEATURES

1) Remap "reset" to controller
2) Chat in multiplayer
3) "Fake" multiplayer (press function key, receive player change)

FEATURES THAT'D BE NIFTY BUT LIKELY WASTE OF TIME

1) Multiplayer "hot keys" (Press button, spam "ZERG RUSH LMFAO ^_______^", this feature is utterly crucial for LAN playing)

FEATURES THAT WOULD BE WASTE OF TIME

1) Anything that distracts from other features listed above

mastrboy
February 6th, 2007, 09:27
and please fix the command line support

Jabo
February 8th, 2007, 04:01
Thanks for the feedback everyone I've updated the bug tracker to reflect the current status a little bit better, as far as mappers I can't guarantee that will get done but if you can submit a prioritized list of ones you guys want I can at least look at it, thanks

snexs
February 16th, 2007, 15:59
the emulator is very good but some games (like Nintendo World Cup) need all 8 ways of the digital pad.
an enemy runs to you and you cant go diagonal. =]

CyrylTheWolf
February 26th, 2007, 02:02
I wouldn't be so quick to say that it's the emulator that isn't providing you with diag movement...

Check your controller and make sure that IT doesn't suck. That is the more likely cause. Make sure you calibrate it as well. If you have any additional software for your controller or controller adapter (whatever the case may be) then install that, too.

I don't have issues with diagonal movement. I learned through using Snes9x that you sometimes have to tweak your controller to get it to work right with diagonals. Had to do it for one controller but not the other, etc.

snexs
March 13th, 2007, 19:33
i dont know but it doesnt work in Jnes.
the game pad that i am using is "Logitech Dual Action".
the pad works correctly in all other emulators.

Agozer
March 13th, 2007, 20:58
The Logitech Dual action has a tendency to suck randomly with certain applications, emulators or otherwise.

snexs
March 14th, 2007, 23:07
Agozer, do you know a good game pad?

Agozer
March 15th, 2007, 00:00
Agozer, do you know a good game pad?
Logitech Rumblepad 2. Basically anything fairly new from logitech that has two analog sticks, enough buttons and isn't the Dual Action. ;)

extrax
December 15th, 2007, 22:05
we need chat support during online play on kaillera. It's really annoying going back to the kaillera window and chatting and the other person not even knowing you chatted back and needs to wait for a response. It would be great if you can add this feature in like on mame where u press the "T" button and it shows up the chat and part of the same jnes window

Kia Kaia
May 8th, 2008, 21:42
I was wondering if the feature to toggle between the layers (like SNES9x) can be done on JNES or if that is too much complication to implement the feature that FCE Ultra had to toggle sprites and the background data (overscan color). Also if I may add the source code for FCE Ultra is around the net, so....maybe that would make it easier to embed then?

pebito
August 26th, 2008, 16:08
Remap the save/load function to the gamepad would be great. So in this way you can't get up from your bed and hit F5 and F7.

squall_leonhart
September 5th, 2008, 09:54
don't be lazy, use control mk.

mramazing6
September 7th, 2008, 16:07
how does a new member to the boards see the other topics>

NesAddict
October 1st, 2012, 21:18
Sorry for a very long post but I have a feature request for features no nes emulator has all in one, I was wondering if it could be implemented for jnes's netplay to be able to swap 1p controls between the host and client for single player games by taking turns. The super nintendo emulator zsnes has this feature by letting you open the gui and the host unchecks the 1p box to allow the 2p to check it and be first player. I think this works well but it would also be nice to be able to press a single hotkey to swap controls instantly but also would like this option to be in the jnes gui for people who don't know/remember the hotkey.

VirtuaNes, a japanese developed nes emulator has netplay and instant online savestate saving and loading (hotkey "S" save states and just press "L" to load instantly and both players see the change immediatley) which I think is an important feature because my internet and my friends internet connection randomly disconnects and causes us to lose progress in our games.

Virtuanes however does not have the 1p control swapping feature and connects to the client via TCP/ip connection which I think is more slower and tacks on more controller delay than UDP connection, zsnes's netplay also uses UDP which works really well. There is a Kaillera client.dll that allows players to directly connect to each other over UDP connection (which ggpo, a fighting game client also uses) and gives excellent controller response but it is not supported by jnes yet. You should be able to find the homepage of the kaillera p2p dll if you don't mind taking a look by googling "p2p kaillera"

Thank you for taking the time to read my request and I hope these features could be added to jnes's netplay in a future release to make it the best nes emulator that also has the best online netplay :D

Jabo
October 2nd, 2012, 14:50
I wasn't aware Open Kaillera did a peer 2 peer version, that is interesting and a bit surprising, if I get time I will at least take a look at it. The swapping feature you describe really belongs in Kaillera, it seems like something you would want regardless of the platform.

At this point the future of network play in Jnes is a bit of an unknown, I haven't removed it, but I have the impression very few people use it in Jnes, actually no one has mentioned it to me in quite some time! My guess is that it is due to other systems (MAME, N64, etc) taking most of the interest in online gameplay, but also kaillera.com has not worked properly in years so you can't get a server list for example (altho no one has complained about it). The open alternative kailleras being unofficial, I've been hesitant to replace the default client.

NesAddict
October 2nd, 2012, 22:21
I wasn't aware Open Kaillera did a peer 2 peer version, that is interesting and a bit surprising, if I get time I will at least take a look at it. The swapping feature you describe really belongs in Kaillera, it seems like something you would want regardless of the platform.

At this point the future of network play in Jnes is a bit of an unknown, I haven't removed it, but I have the impression very few people use it in Jnes, actually no one has mentioned it to me in quite some time! My guess is that it is due to other systems (MAME, N64, etc) taking most of the interest in online gameplay, but also kaillera.com has not worked properly in years so you can't get a server list for example (altho no one has complained about it). The open alternative kailleras being unofficial, I've been hesitant to replace the default client.

Well I came here to the jnes forums to request these features because I see your emulator is being actively developed. It seems like all other nes emulation projects don't take much interest in netplay which I completely understand, not many people play nes games online. I was just thinking that for the small minority of people that do want to play a co-op game with someone or share a single player game taking turns talking over text or skype on their own messengers with a personal or online friend that these features could be added to make it not so frustrating when internet connections decide to drop, games decide to desync, or when personal matters interrupt and have to save the game for another time and to have as minimal lag as possible.

Snes9k which is a version of snes9x with kaillera support has the swapping feature by having the host press the F12 key. I'm not sure if thats embedded in kaillera or the emulator itself. If I recall mame32k also has this feature by pressing one of the F keys, don't remember which one.

About the server list being down, it does seem to work on this open kaillera p2p so I guess that's how people have still been able to use it. People are still playing super smash bros on project64k on these servers so it seems to still be up somehow. I would prefer someone make a p2p matchmaking client and ditch kaillera but you still need servers for those 4 player games, but that's nothing to do with what were discussing.

weebeegeebee
October 14th, 2012, 14:41
Holy crap.... this is my first time having come across Jnes.

Before now, I just used an ancient version of NNNesterJ (0.23). I always stuck with it because no other NES emulator I tried appealed to me, they were either too "busy" or so minimalistic they even lacked an option to fullscreen. But Jnes is definitely nice, I especially like the fact that it automatically shows cheats for games that I load. That's a pretty awesome feature right there. Stereo support is also a nice touch (even though purists will say that it's "not authentic" but so what, neither is 2xSAI and it's still nice to have.)

I was searching and searching for an NES emulator that had stereo output, found one with Midi synth output, and one that did stereo but everything was always too far left or too far right. The Stereo on Jnes sounds pretty good but I would love to see it have a NotsoFatso-esque array of options, like individual volume sliders, panning sliders and "invert" check boxes for each channel as well as High Pass, Low Pass and Pre-Pass sliders. (I read that there was a guy named Scherzo who had done a port of Nester for Dreamcast that used NotsoFatso as the sound output, but from what I've gathered he dropped off the planet and stopped working on or updating his projects ages ago).

I'd like to see graphical options like "Show All 240 Scanlines" and "Disable BG Clipping" (ahhh, nevermind, apparently in Jnes it's the "emulate 8 pixel clipping") just because I hate having any kind of black lines, except for when I've got the TV in 4:3 ratio mode. I'd also like to see support for filter RPI's like the ones I can choose from in KEGA Fusion and VisualBoyAdvance-M SVN926. And the adjustable "SpeedToggle" feature that NNNesterJ has, where you can adjust the speed slider and set a button to toggle back n' forth from the default speed to slow-mo / high-speed (depending on where you have the slider set to). I'd also like to see the option to user define commands and hotkeys the same way you can your controller / keyboard inputs, like how in NNNesterJ I can change the keyboard buttons for Save State / Load State, Soft Reset, Speed Toggle etc... also sliders to adjust the frequency of the Turbo Fire.

And I say to hell with "authenticity," if a feature makes an improvement to the user experience while still allowing the emulator to play the game unhindered, it's a good thing.

s12 . postimage . org/ldcajage3/Notso_Fatso_Settings . png

s7 . postimage . org/mc2g74f0p/NNNester_J_Speed_Toggle . png

s16 . postimage . org/hafizmxdf/NNNester_J_Input_Prefs . png

s14 . postimage . org/tpp9wnscf/NNNester_J_Extra_1 . png

s9 . postimage . org/74az091m5/NNNester_J_Extra_2 . png

s12 . postimage . org/5ld6pezcr/NNNester_J_Graphics_Tab1 . png

weebeegeebee
October 14th, 2012, 15:08
CRITICAL FEATURES

1) FDS support
2) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
3) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
5) Remap "save" and "load" to controller

NNNesterJ vers. 0.23 allows full remapping of such functions to any keyboard or gamepad button you wish. Tis why I say that full user-definement of commands and hotkeys would be great. It also has the Famicom Disk System support and the "flip to side A / B" options (I was playing FDS Zelda to hear that lovely expanded sound).

Oooooh, and seeing Jabo's avatar remind me of something, one of the initial reasons why I went looking for another emulator besides NNNesterJ. I kept getting this weird "convergence of layers" on the train level of Ninja Gaiden 2. Does that happen in Jnes as well?

Oh, how about support for .ss# files? Because I -was- going to transplant my save from the train level to Jnes to see if it had the same problem, but it looks like saves are in a proprietary file type... u.u

Turned on a bunch of cheats to make getting to it easier since I couldn't just load my save from NNNesterJ and when I got to the train level, same freaky layer glitch. Wonder what the hell causes that. I've tried as many different emulators and as many different versions of the rom that I could... it and Back to The Future 2 & 3 always do the same thing no matter what rom version, no matter what emulator.

weebeegeebee
October 19th, 2012, 13:52
Anyone still check up on this?????? >.>

Jabo
October 24th, 2012, 03:29
yes on occasion I still come around, I read your post, thanks for the kind words. It's quite an extensive list of feature requests and knobs to twiddle with, I'm sorry to say I don't share the same interest in many of those things, although the external filters I've been talking myself into for the future perhaps. You may be better off using NesterJ if it has all those features already, Jnes is a bit more minimalistic.

weebeegeebee
October 25th, 2012, 09:36
NNNester-J lacks your nifty Stereo output option, its save state function also isn't as fluid... (A slight pop every time I would save, but no such pops on Jnes, plus that lovely semi-transparent notification like Zsnes) if only it were more easy to locate and contact this Scherzo person, then maybe he could reveal how it was that he implemented NotSoFatso into his version of Nester for the Dreamcast.

And even if the plugin couldn't be directly integrated into the emulator, having those pan and volume slider options on the channels would certainly be nice. Just something to think about, as it is, playing games with JNes is nice but the sounds are quite loud (no master volume slider within the emu makes it harder to manually match its loudness with the rest of the emulators I use) and they are rather hard panned to their assigned channels.

If I could and knew they were still working on it, I would attempt to contact the folks who coded NNNester-J and ask them about the idea of adding panning capability on individual channels the same way that it has adjustable volume for individual channels, but I don't know Japanese and it would appear that they, like Scherzo, dropped off the face of the internetz.

weebeegeebee
October 25th, 2012, 10:22
Perhaps if sliders can't be implemented in the GUI, maybe have the default pans in the emulator set to something like this? Or maybe have it shown as an option in the .INI file?

I have tested these settings across the various sound types (I went on emor3j's wonderful chiptune archive site and nabbed the .NFS files for Akumajou Densetsu to test and tweak my settings for VRC6, Lagrange Point for VRC7, Just Breed for MMC5, Gimmick! for FME7, D.D.S. Megami Tensei II for N106 and the Famicom Disk System version of Zelda no Densetsu to test and tweak the extra FDS sound channels. I believe these are quite satisfactory pan and volume settings. Sorry for the sheer length of text, but since I can't post screencaps of my NotSo settings in Winamp...

Master Volume : 0 - 200
Vol = 110

Main NES Channels:

Square 1:
Vol = 165
Pan = L,45

Square 2:
Vol = 175
Pan = R,85

Triangle:
Vol = 125
Pan = L,45

Noise:
Vol = 135
Pan = R,15

DMC:
Vol = 160
Pan = L,15

FDS:
Vol = 150
Pan = R,80

VRC6 Channels:

Extra Square 1:
Vol = 140
Pan = L,40

Extra Square 2:
Vol = 165
Pan = R,85

Sawtooth:
Vol = 115
Pan = R,15

MMC5 Channels:

Extra Square 1:
Vol = 85
Pan = L,45

Extra Square 2:
Vol = 150
Pan = R,75

Voice:
Vol = 100
Pan = R,20

N106 Channels:

Channel 1:
Vol = 165
Pan = L,45

Channel 2:
Vol = 180
Pan = R,75

Channel 3:
Vol = 175
Pan = L,45

Channel 4:
Vol = 180
Pan = R,75

Channel 5:
Vol = 140
Pan = L,45

Channel 6:
Vol = 165
Pan = R,70

Channel 7:
Vol = 110
Pan = L,45

Channel 8:
Vol = 165
Pan = R,70

VRC7 Channels:

Channel 1:
Vol = 75
Pan = L,45

Channel 2:
Vol = 150
Pan = R,80

Channel 3:
Vol = 120
Pan = L,45

Channel 4:
Vol = 150
Pan = R,75

Channel 5:
Vol = 155
Pan = L,10

Channel 6:
Vol = 135
Pan = R,70

FME-07 Channels:

Pulse A:
Vol = 150
Pan = L,35

Pulse B:
Vol = 150
Pan = R,80

Pulse C:
Vol = 155
Pan = R,80

weebeegeebee
October 31st, 2012, 21:21
Found an old old beta of Disch's emulator, it can't stretch in full screen and it
is pretty "eh" but that tab for the Sound Channels with the individual volume
and panning settings as well as the "invert" is friggin' awesome...
http://s12.postimage.org/qb0iytn7f/Schpune_Channel_Pan_Tab.png
But I know you already said you weren't going to bother with feature requests
for things you don't think very many people would use... u.u