What's new

Changing icons

minkster

I am trying to change my original icons (folders, program,ect) to different ones. I downloaded a set of icons and I dont know which directory to put it in. Do I put the .ico files in C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shell32.dll? Thanks-minkster

Eagle

aka Alshain
minkster said:
I am trying to change my original icons (folders, program,ect) to different ones. I downloaded a set of icons and I dont know which directory to put it in. Do I put the .ico files in C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shell32.dll? Thanks-minkster

First of all, we need an operating system since the way this is done has been changed in almost every version of Windows. In several of them its very difficult to do without Plus! for Windows. In XP you can simply right click on the desktop and click properties, choose the desktop tab and click "Customize Desktop". This will allow you to change My Documents, My Computer, My Network, and the Recycle Bin. For the others, its best to find an external program like Plus! for Windows XP.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh and for shortcuts icons, you just right click on the shortcut, click proprties and choose "change icon". This works for everything except the default IE and Outlook Icons, (they arent really just shortcuts) but they can be deleted and recreated as shortcuts.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You can put an ico file (or a set of ico files) anywhere you like...

Do not ever try and modify dll's unless you really know what you're doing. they contain executable code for other apps, windows itself requires some of its own to run... you do that and you could kill your system.

Easiest way I know to change icons for folders n stuff for XP (i'm just saying XP because thats what I use), is a program called StyleXP, it has a bunch of options for changing theme releated things, I dunno if Windowblinds has that feature (for non-XPers).

Heres a shot of how its done in XP for shortcuts.. its pretty straight forward this stuff.

Last edited:

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Did you try restarting your computer? What graphics card do you have. I read some older nVidia cards have issuses with '.ico' files. Make sure to scan them with 'VeriIco' and make sure their not corrupt. If double clicking on them dosen't work, your OS probly dosen't support them.

OP
minkster

minkster

I got it to work by clicking the change icons button. Thanks for your help! I also downloaded a program called Iphile which easily alllows you to change things like the CD drives icons and things like that. It doesn't take up a lot of system resources too :) -minkster

Last edited: