What's new

Possible Multi thread support?

YoshiDragon

I'm using a computer with 2 processors. Would it be possible in the future that Dolphin would have multi thread support so both processors could be used at once so I could get a higher FPS? Or is there some tweak already to make programs in general use both processors at once? Thanks in advance everyone.

OP
Y

YoshiDragon

To Quote Falcon4Ever's rules thread:
Welcome to the Dolphin support forum, before posting you should read the rules we are using here.

DO NOT

Ask for GC-iso's (aka gcm's)
Tell people where to get GC-iso's (or tell them to contact you about it)
Don't PM or e-mail us for GC-iso's
Ask how to rip GC-iso's (google is your friend )
Request the source code / Porting Dolphin (to linux or mac)
Insult people without reason, advertise or spam
Don't write in capitals
Double post. (please use the search)
Ask to be a betatester
Ask to get the beta version
Don't ask when a new version will be released
Don't ask for updates , they will update when they want/need to

Nowhere in that do I see it say asking if a feature will ever be possible is against the rules, do you? Especially since half of the post was referring to computers in general...

i started topics on "cool dolphin ideas" ... it was not against the rules. i don't think you should request that they do something but you could politely state something like ... if Dolphin ran on multi-threads then hyperthreading and/or multi-cpu would benefit. perhaps sound support will run in another thread ... who knows? ... if so, it wouldn't give you anymore FPS.

bohdy

Ridiculous rules... there is nothing wrong with harmless suggestions. F|res and Ector are perfectly free to ignore them. Nothing is being demanded here.

I also think that more emphasis on multi-threading would be a very good idea in Dolphin, as its pretty clear to me that CPU's are gong to be moving towards mult-core in the near future rather than "just more mhz". I'm not however sure how much of the task of gamecube emulation can be parallerised, though.

Worth looking into I think. ;)

jareg

Just A Guy
bohdy said:
Ridiculous rules... there is nothing wrong with harmless suggestions. F|res and Ector are perfectly free to ignore them. Nothing is being demanded here.

I also think that more emphasis on multi-threading would be a very good idea in Dolphin, as its pretty clear to me that CPU's are gong to be moving towards mult-core in the near future rather than "just more mhz". I'm not however sure how much of the task of gamecube emulation can be parallerised, though.

Worth looking into I think. ;)

Mm ever heard of 64bit Cpus ;)

Clements

Since single-core processors are currently far too slow for Dolphin, and dual-core CPUs coming in just a few years with multithreading becoming the norm and not just guys with multi-processor systems, it just seems that Dolphin supporting it would have to be ineviatable if full frames is the goal of the project.

RabinSherif

Multi-Thread/Processor

just a quick question, would you even see much of a preformance boost even if dolphin was writen to support multiple processors/threads becuase of the way windows handles multiple processors? I could be totaly wrong about this, but I thought windows doesnt really do any sort of parallel processing, where I would think something like this would greatly benifit, but instead distribute cetain processes to certain processors/threads?

Again I could be totaly wrong on this so dont hold me to it.

xhispage

www.BlueCode.Cjb.Net
Wouldnt mind testing it out on my PC:

Intel Pentium 4: 3.06GhZ (Multithreading supported , or something like that)
180GN Hard Drive
1024MB Ram
128MB ATI Raedon 9600XT video
Sound Blaster Live! sound card
19" SyncMaster Monitor.

:D

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Haw. It wouldn't run a bit faster. HT does really nothing for gaming, especially since Dolphin isn't coded to take advantage of SMP.

BTW, your computer isn't that great. A 3.06GHz Northwood B kinda sucks to tell you the truth.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
As far as I know, according to intel, the advantage of having Hyper Threading is that 2 SEPARATE applications could be used simultaneously so multi tasking would be smoother. But some apps (such as video conversion software) and games) are being designed to utilize this technology. I wouldn't say that it is completely out of the question.
And as for
cooliscool said:
BTW, your computer isn't that great. A 3.06GHz Northwood B kinda sucks to tell you the truth.
He did mention that his CPU is Hyper threaded (which would mean it's at least a C class(which is what mine is). And mine is a pretty good chip.

Last edited: