What's new

Nintendo GameCube emulation

Would you give money to pay for a GameCube to be disected so that it could be emulate

• Yes, where do I sign up?

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No way. Its bad to emulate new systems.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Hey, You want to do it... buy your own.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • GameCube what is that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't give a d&^$, don't bother me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't want to commit myself but if you doit, I will use it.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icepir8

Here is a poll for you.

Would you contribute money to pay for a GameCube to be disected so that it could be emulated?

Remote

Some moral aspects of emulating a new system exists but considering the time it has taken to reach the beginning of Dreamcast emulation I do not expect the GameCube running on other hardware anytime soon. However I would be willing to pay a small amount of cash, but not through services similar to PayPal, to you for disassembling a GC.

Too bad, the internet boom has passed, a couple of years earlier you could have set up a few ad accounts and let us go frenzy.

Quvack

Difficult Question...

I mean it'll take ages to RE all the information you need from the GC to be even able to think about an emulator for the system, so I dont think seeing an emulator anytime soon will be a problem... and i think it'd be amazing to see an emulator eventually come out for it.. but if the system is to be emulated, it means that all of the anti-piracy schemes would have to be cracked, which would open the gates up for piracy, and we've seen what thats done before, just look at the Dreamcast :(

If the protection on the GC is cracked by anyone related to the emu scene, Nintendo will go nuts at the whole emulation scene again, and well I doubt it'll be pretty :( ..... and emulating and creating "backups" for emulation so early is just wrong, the systems just a baby really.

So to sum it up, i'd love to eventually see emulators for the system come out, but not for many years... it would be excellent to have documentation available to people about all of the necessary information on the system, but it needs to be done carefully.

And to answer the question if I would pay for the system to be RE'd? um... im not sure really :p

OP
icepir8

icepir8

Quvack said:
Difficult Question...

I mean it'll take ages to RE all the information you need from the GC to be even able to think about an emulator for the system, so I dont think seeing an emulator anytime soon will be a problem... and i think it'd be amazing to see an emulator eventually come out for it.. but if the system is to be emulated, it means that all of the anti-piracy schemes would have to be cracked, which would open the gates up for piracy, and we've seen what thats done before, just look at the Dreamcast :(
Yes, It won't be easy and it will require a good PC to emulate it. It will take some time for the necessary hardware to be available to support emulation of the GameCube. Ahh… but the challenge!
Quvack said:
If the protection on the GC is cracked by anyone related to the emu scene, Nintendo will go nuts at the whole emulation scene again, and well I doubt it'll be pretty :( ..... and emulating and creating "backups" for emulation so early is just wrong, the systems just a baby really.
This maybe true. But the rebel in me feels that even if the GameCube was emulated tomorrow, It wouldn't really hurt Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't make money on the system itself, but on the licenses it has with the game developers. If you could put a GameCube disk into your PC and play the game it would acually help Nintendo. (assuming that this was a purchased disk and not a bootleg one.)
Quvack said:
So to sum it up, i'd love to eventually see emulators for the system come out, but not for many years... it would be excellent to have documentation available to people about all of the necessary information on the system, but it needs to be done carefully.
Yes, lets get started now.:D
Quvack said:
And to answer the question if I would pay for the system to be RE'd? um... im not sure really :p
I understand your position. This is a "moral decision. You must do as you feel is right.devil:

ps: If enough people are in favor of supporting this I will consider starting on it. I would also feel the the info could be used for "hobby programers" to develope software/games/demos for the GameCube.

pss: I can remember when Japan was the bootleg game source. Any game made by US developers could be bought as Japanese "Knock Off" with in a month of the US release. LOL

Cya,

Icepir8

lightknight

ha people !!! i thought of the emulating the GC first so

besides it was my idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think the main program should use be like pj64 but more options!!

i want to take part in the emulatore also, like testing it !! and like makeing a gfx plugin, ! i dislike rom dumping the systems games...meaning you will have to have the game cd's to play it. ihave already started a small program which has all ready started , to scan the cd for infor. :D :D so if any 1 wants to join up with me i will start to make up the team list!!!!!!! in a few days!!!:pj64: :pj64: :pj64: :pj64: :pj64: :pj64: :pj64: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Remote

besides it was my idea

Are we not being a bit too confident here, I am sure people dreamed of GameCube emulation before it was announced to the public. And even if you voiced it before others did, I would not be surprised if a gathering of cunning people are bashing the GameCube media to find a method of transferring the content to another media, i.e DVD-ROM, CD-ROM. Their purpose is not to help nor hinder emulation, their purpose is to make profits larger. When the media has been cracked, and it will be, emulation will recieve a needed, but at the same time unwanted, tap on the shoulder.

Last edited:

Cyberman

Light Night.. Umm you didn't have it first.. so.. relax some :)

Secondly I suggest waiting for the right time and learning a bit more about what goes into those systems before wanting to make an emulator. Almost everyone has built on someone elses work in the emulation community, you aren't going to suddenly run out and out of the blue come up with a perfect GC emulator.

You also need media that the computer can read, this is the biggest hurdle and why Nintendo went with custome Mini DVD media.

Cyb

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
Would the history of UltraHLE repeat itself?

A GC emulator launched as the GC console becomes popular with some serious (Zelda) title around, just like when UltraHLE was launched around the time Zelda OoT being released in the N64 console.

I am curious, will it require a GeForce3/4 to make the GC emu possible?

Last edited:

Reznor007

zero0w said:
Would the history of UltraHLE repeat itself?

A GC emulator launched as the GC console becomes popular with some serious (Zelda) title around, just like when UltraHLE was launched around the time Zelda OoT being released in the N64 console.

I am curious, will it require a GeForce3/4 to make the GC emu possible?

Basically yes. The graphics chip is on the same level as Geforce4. With a few added extras and no vertex shader.

crhylove

Banned
who cares?

The xbox is a vastly superior box, with already vastly superior titles (simpson's road rage), and is much closer to many pc's for sale now. This is obviously the next gen emu to work on.

my two cents.

rhy

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
A GC emulator...
Now that would be something. I think I'd try to help out by beta-testing since I like betas personally.
But I don't think I'd want to pay for it... I'm no such guy.
But it's an intresting idea, anyhow!

Cyberman

Reznor007 said:

Basically yes. The graphics chip is on the same level as Geforce4. With a few added extras and no vertex shader.

The Geeforce 4 is actually.. a less powerful chipset than the Geeforce 3. A few people at ID left a very long rant about it on a Game Developers forum. They still like Nvidia's drivers etc, they just don't like they misleading numbering system and confusing conventions used for there new chipsets. A GF4 is actually less powerful than a GF3 however, that's the real thing. Marketing perhaps, no idea. <shrugs>

As for emulating a GameCub requiring a powerful card, yep it likely will require a powerful 3d acelerator card, and a few other things as well.

Cyb