What's new

Zelda On GameCube

Bofpak

I've been a huge Zelda fan since the original on the NES but after looking at a preview for Zelda GameCube i am very disapointed in Nintendo's effort. Why cartoon?? Why make Nintendo even more childish?? The original screen shots showed a great looking game with a battle sceen between Link and Ganon, some where Nintendo has scrapped that idea (which would have been a mad game) and made the game into a Disney cartoon. Nintendo I feel have made a wrong turn. What is everyone's opinion on the new game?

"I could have tolerated cell-shaded graphics if the game starred a character like the Link we saw in the cartoon series that aired in about 1988, but NO they had to render him as a little dorky twerp with a puny sword and sheild verses cutesy Disney-esque "bad guys" to poke in the foot."

I found a site that agrees. This site says it all. (Quote taken from this site)
http://www.tbi.net/~max/ztoonzel.htm

Remote

Considering the vast amounts of information the internet holds, you could probaly find a site that agrees/disagrees to almost anything. I have always considered Shiguero Miatamoto´s titles as top notch, with the next part in the Legend of Zelda series being the most impressive. When he first created the Zelda series for the NES(Nintendo Entertainment System) I honestly do not think that the evolution he had imagined for it was the Legend of Zelda - The Ocarina of Time or The Majora´s Mask, Mask of Majora.

The Nintendo 64 was developed to create never before seen 3D environments that took the gamer into another dimension, and when concentrating on deleviring top notch 3D they neglected 2D, up to date I have yet to see a Nintendo 64 2D game that plays and feels like a NES or SNES game. So instead of focusing on 3D they decided to go back to their origins, non complex ideas which would last in consistincy. The Cel-shading tequnique they are using in next installment of the Legend of Zelda series allows the developers to add yet another dimension to gameplay, depth. It may not look as good as a advancement of the Nintendo 64 incarnaments but it is unique. I would rather have unique then good looking.

Since the Legend of Zelda series is beloved by millions all around the world there can never be a right or wrong to this answer. Something that I feel should be voiced is that a lot of people seem to think that Shiguero Miatamoto has let his fans down, on the contrary he has saved them from their own commonness. If you have ever played a Electronic Arts title, you will now that every installment in only a slight advancement compared to the previous one, i.e Fifa 2001 does not differ that much from Fifa 2002, they are still amusing but they do not introduce new groundbreaking features to the gamers.

hellknight

Banned
o man I hope they relase the good looking zelda.come on the graphic of that is totally shit they MUST relase the good looking or I kill nintendo I think all ppl of the world like the good looking more:n64: do it for us all

blizz

the motion is good with Chibi Zelda but it was just as good with the normal form, it shows a lack of guts on Nintendo's part.

Reznor007

Nintendo has a poll on their site asking if people want the Cel-Shading graphics, or "realistic fantasy" graphics. I picked the realistic :)

Rjx

Hrm.......

I don't like the new style.....but I'll still buy the game anyway, just because it's Nintendo

Remote

I do not know if going away from the public opinion counts as gutless, the customers did not ask for this change they made it anyway. If anyone saw the presentation when Mr. Miatamoto introduced the new Zelda, you will know what I am talking about, when I say that he looked nervous before showing the demo reel and after a cheek to cheek grin appeared on his face, it was like a giant brick fell of his heart.

Afaik the only released footage on the new Zelda was the movie that Nintendo showed during Spaceworld 2001, I do not know the exact lenght of the movie, but I have a vague memory of it being somewhere in the two minutes range, give or take a couple of seconds. How much can you really tell from two minute movie? Not much, so let us not judge them before the release more footage, which can give us a fair base to judge from.

And various rumors are talking about a second Zelda title, which is derivated from the Nintendo 64 incarnations of The Legend of Zelda series. It may or may not be developed by Shiguero Miatamoto but I see no reason for why they would not release two Zelda games in one year, except from profit.

Remote

Indeed, I have seen a lot of interviews with various Nintendo employes, mostly the say nothing or keeps repeating old news and since Nintendo is very *hush* *hush* no one will slip their toungue, but every now and then the *hushes* are replaced with *hint* *hint*. So your wishes may not be so far fechted as they may sound.

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
Bofpak said:
I've been a huge Zelda fan since the original on the NES but after looking at a preview for Zelda GameCube i am very disapointed in Nintendo's effort. Why cartoon?? Why make Nintendo even more childish?? The original screen shots showed a great looking game with a battle sceen between Link and Ganon, some where Nintendo has scrapped that idea (which would have been a mad game) and made the game into a Disney cartoon. Nintendo I feel have made a wrong turn. What is everyone's opinion on the new game?

If you have been playing Zelda since the NES then you would know that the game isn't getting more 'childish', it's just going back to the way it was.

Macca

Zelda on GC IMO will work. Already alot of people are turning and are beginning o believe it will work. I haven't had a problem with this new system from the start because i have seen the past zelda games and i believe that they chose it for a reason and they believe it'll work. I don't think after nearly 10 great games they are going to grab a pos out of their arse and mould it into the shape of a cd and sell it using the zelda name.

Simple equation

Zelda GS = Will be Sweet

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
...this arguement again....

ill keep it short this time.

1) realistic battle was a tech demo, not real game.

2)complete dissapointment of a console from 2-3mins of footage? and u call urself a huge fan.

3)do u guys remember the first footages of Conker? (i know zelda wont turn that way, but....)

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
Conker looked very well (it hasn't changed the gfx engine but it changed style from cute to nasty (which is good :) )
But Zelda changed from using the Ocarina of Time engine to using a engine equal to Jet Set Radio Future which IMO is a turn for the worse.

blizz

to be honest I don't think the graphics are that bad, it's the looney toon supposedly funny bits which annoy me.

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
All of these people obviously are Zelda 'fans' that became a fan after The Ocarina of Time...

Below I've pasted a little compilation of Zelda 1, 2, 3 and 4. Now, do those look cartoony or what?

So, let's say there are 8 Zelda games (not counting the 3 CD-I ones, the G&W ones, or the TI-Calc ones): 2 on NES, 1 on SNES, 3 on GB(C), 2 on N64. Then there are 2 out of 8 that do not look cartoony. That's 25% not-cartoony, 75% cartoony .

It's the way Zelda was. It's the way Zelda should be. It's the way Zelda will be again.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
That as well blizz those stupid things were you already know what will happen that quite frankly makes the game even badder.

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
I have to disagree with you on this Redah IMO All Zeldas except for the GC weren't cartoony at all.

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Zero said:
I have to disagree with you on this Redah IMO All Zeldas except for the GC weren't cartoony at all.

All Zelda games were cartoony. Even the 'funny' stuff that people seem to dislike has been in the games forever. If you hit a moblin with your sword and it falls into a hole, there's a little cloud that shows you he's falling down, like the coyote in Road Runner cartoons.

YES THAT IS IN THERE. The SAME thing is also shown in the GameCube footage. But seeing it in 3D is what seems to scare people...

Like I said, it has always been in the Zelda games. Except for the N64 ones, I can't remember seeing something like that in there...