What's new

Anyone else that read that article about Xbox emulation from Microsoft a while back?

magebarf

Hiya!

Yeah... About the Xbox article, I acctually think it was a interview, with someone working on the Xbox design team, made by a 3D-Graphics site.

Well, they asked a lot of questions about the system in general, about how programmers could optimize for it, about what hardware was in it and such, and it was during a question about the Graphics-hardware that there was a follow-up question about emulation... The answer almost made me laugh my ass off. :D

The fool being interviewed simply said something like; There will not be any possible way to emulate it, since it differs so much from a PC... Even if Nvidia would release a new GFX-chip that had all the functions, it wouldn't work because of the way the Xbox works...

Hmmz... If that person thinks a SNES isn't differing too much from the PC, then I wouldn't want to have him on my design team. That person obviously didn't know what an emulator really was, or at least not the main purpose of emulation. :D

Well, the reason I'm wondering if anyone else read it is that I wanna find it and read it again... I think it is about a half a year ago that I read it. Ring any bells anywhere? If you do happen to know where the article's aviable, could you please pass a link?

RPGlover12

Re: Anyone else that read that article about Xbox emulation from Microsoft a while back?

magebarf said:
Hiya!

Yeah... About the Xbox article, I acctually think it was a interview, with someone working on the Xbox design team, made by a 3D-Graphics site.

Well, they asked a lot of questions about the system in general, about how programmers could optimize for it, about what hardware was in it and such, and it was during a question about the Graphics-hardware that there was a follow-up question about emulation... The answer almost made me laugh my ass off. :D

The fool being interviewed simply said something like; There will not be any possible way to emulate it, since it differs so much from a PC... Even if Nvidia would release a new GFX-chip that had all the functions, it wouldn't work because of the way the Xbox works...

Hmmz... If that person thinks a SNES isn't differing too much from the PC, then I wouldn't want to have him on my design team. That person obviously didn't know what an emulator really was, or at least not the main purpose of emulation. :D

Well, the reason I'm wondering if anyone else read it is that I wanna find it and read it again... I think it is about a half a year ago that I read it. Ring any bells anywhere? If you do happen to know where the article's aviable, could you please pass a link?

Lol :) :D :D :D :p :)

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
I wonder if the XBox modified Win2k OS have some self-detection mechanism to check if the environment is emulated or not. Other console do not have an OS, to the best of my knowledge.

blizz

zero0w said:
I wonder if the XBox modified Win2k OS have some self-detection mechanism to check if the environment is emulated or not. Other console do not have an OS, to the best of my knowledge.

in theory that wouldn't be a problem since the correct responses to those detection routines could be emulated too ;)