What's new

Windows 98 Question

jollyrancher

Win 98 has a 4gb maximum file size limit, so is there an easy way to get around this using some utility? I'm not going to upgrade to XP (long story) and I'm not going to repartition using that Norton utility, but is there an easy way to do this while keeping my existing directory structure the same?

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
jollyrancher said:
Win 98 has a 4gb maximum file size limit, so is there an easy way to get around this using some utility? I'm not going to upgrade to XP (long story) and I'm not going to repartition using that Norton utility, but is there an easy way to do this while keeping my existing directory structure the same?

Win98SE.......lol
U need to convert to FAT32...

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
jollyrancher said:

The 4 GB per file size limit is a FAT32 limitation, thus even if you have Windows XP or Windows 2000 and are using FAT32, you cannot have a single file bigger than 4 GB.

The solution for stuff that is more than 4 GB is to have them segmented into more than one file or upgrade to at least Windows 2000 Pro and use NTFS.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Nighty0 said:
Win98SE.......lol
U need to convert to FAT32...

Windows 98 SE is a fine OS for people who can't get Windows XP or Windows 2000. In some cases, it's even faster with games than Windows XP and Windows 2000.

OP
J

jollyrancher

Like I said, I'm not going to upgrade the OS on this particular PC for various reasons, but there's no utility that lets you use 4gb+ files under Win 98 without repartitioning?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It's not a fault of Windows 98, it's a fault of the file system (FAT and FAT32). Since Windows 9x/ME do not support a file system able to handle files bigger than 4GB (ex: NTFS) there is not a way to use these files under Windows 98.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
Why in the world do you need a single file greater than 4GB? Trying to compress a bunch of ISOs into a single file or something?

As a side note, Windows NT 4 sucks as a gaming OS for several reasons:
Sucky driver support, including not supporting Plug and Play until one of the later service packs.
Sucky DirectX support (it supports DirectX 3 starting in Service Pack 6 or 7!)

I'm sure there are lots more, but anyone running an NT OS should run Windows 2000 or XP anyway.

Last edited: