What's new

Can't delete a Icon from Desktop

L

Lachp30

Well its been a while since I last posted here, but I was wondering if If you guys could help me out with something. :plain:

I recently installed the 'Nokia' PC to phone connection software, and then when I tried to uninstall it, the uninstall software froze. I then deleted the system folder in which it was contained, and the reg keys, however, the icon still remians on the desktop, and it wont give me the option to delete it.

Anyone know how to rid this problem?

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
In your registry, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\ NameSpace

there should be a few keys for desktop icons. find the offending one, back it up in case something goes wrong (right-click -> export), and delete it.

Last edited:

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Have your tried the 'Delete' key? It's on the keyboard and called a "Hardware Overwrite Forced Procedure" by us teckies. It will 'force' an 'overwrite' of the OS's software that protects that icon. If you have an older computer you may have to use the 'Del' key. Denifatly not as powerfull, and it runs at about half the speed of the 'Delete' key, but it should work just the same.

smcd

EdgeBlade said:
Have your tried the 'Delete' key? It's on the keyboard and called a "Hardware Overwrite Forced Procedure" by us teckies. It will 'force' an 'overwrite' of the OS's software that protects that icon. If you have an older computer you may have to use the 'Del' key. Denifatly not as powerfull, and it runs at about half the speed of the 'Delete' key, but it should work just the same.

Being a smartass doesn't help much, especially if it is an icon that gets put there as a shell extension / CLSID type thing (like the recycle bin). I had a similar problem when installing some scanner software, it made an icon on the desktop that couldn't be deleted using the 'Delete' or 'Del' key. I had to go in the registry and delete a key or two.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Afaik, icons can't be deleted with the delete button. Only shortcuts and folders on the desktop can be deleted that way.

OP
L

Lachp30

We have ourselfs a sarcastic smartarse :devil: . Not only did I try to delete the icon using the 'delete' key, I also tried placing into other folders, then trying to delete that folder etc. I have solved the problem now, by deleting the offending item in the regedit. Cheers to those of you that could help. :saint: