What's new

SNSS format

xamenus

Well Jabo, I've thought of something that might be interesting. :) There's a standardized savestate format at http://snss.baisoku.org/ that is designed to be used by several NES emulators. Unfortunately, it seems that it has been neglected lately, although the new NES emulator "80five" supports it (nester supports it as well). I thought it might be interesting if Jnes supported it too. IMO, NES emulators "need" a standardized savestate format, and maybe if it was implemented into Jnes, other NES emulator authors would implement it, too (since Jnes is a popular emulator).

I don't know if this would be a hassle to implement, or if you would like to do it, but it's an interesting feature to think about. :)

smegforbrain

I would question why JNes "needs" this.

It'd be a nice feature, but Nintendo emulation isn't exactly at the forefront of the emulation scene these days.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
The standard was developed/discussed by quite a few people in the late 90's I believe (I could look it up I suppose).

At the time I didn't want to support it because internally it would of been a nightmare - a save state is a dump basically of the emulators internal structures, converting mine to theirs and vice versa last time I looked wasn't pretty - it's hard to 'standardize' these types of things if you will

Today I might be able to pull it off, but it's just not a point of interest, thank you for keeping a watchful eye tho :)