What's new

Anyone ever built an arcade stick?

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Well?

I ordered a MAME DVD collection from a place that will remain unnamed. It was relatively cheap, I've always liked MAME, I have a larger interest in building a whole cabinet someday but it's too much cash at the moment.

I have 2 options, buy a hotrod, or an ozstick, or an x-arcade, or, for the same price I could build one from Ultimarc. I may just end up buying a hotrod, but has anyone ever built one and have any advice?

OP
Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Yeah I checked them out, i was just wondering if anyone on here had built one and had any first hand tips.

Reznor007

I've built one, but for a supergun, not MAME. I used 3/4" MDF board and it works pretty good. Used the traditional 6 button SF2 layout, with 2 extra buttons for start/coin.

Be ready to make 2 though. Your first time through you make many decisions on how you think you will like the feel, but once it's done you usually find something that isn't quite right. I've got the parts for a second controller ready, but I just haven't done it yet. I'm a bit more interested in making a trackball controller for my Golden Tee PCB.

OP
Hexidecimal

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Reznor007 said:
I'm a bit more interested in making a trackball controller for my Golden Tee PCB.

Sorry for double post, but its my topic :p

You're supposed to be able to hack a mouse pretty cheap, that should work just as well, there are tutorials for it all over, you should check it out Rez.