What's new

Overclocking

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
Has anyone overclocked their processor to a stable speed with gud temperatures, as I'm thinking of overclocking my processot to a 3.4 or 3.6. My pentium 4 processor is a Northwood core.

Allnatural

I gave my mother a computer with an overclocked Athlon T-Bird; 1 GHz @ 1.13 GHz. Been like that for more than a year; never had a problem. Runs cool too.

That's a simple multiplier overclock though, I never changed the FSB.

smcd

Do you really think that with a 3.2GHz machine the extra 0.2 - 0.4GHz are going to even be noticeable?

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
well im interested in what i can do with a 3.2 northwood processor, but i dont know how i can do this. Besides it probably will be noticable when I compare it to benchmarks in 3d mark and sum time demos in doom 3, unreal 2004 etc

Allnatural

DarthDazDC said:
Besides it probably will be noticable when I compare it to benchmarks in 3d mark and sum time demos in doom 3, unreal 2004 etc
Key point. If it doesn't benefit "real-world" use then it's not worth it imo.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Yep, I'm overclocking too. I got 2370 mhz right now out of my brand spankin' new Athlon XP T-bred 2400+ processor, which is a green one, instead of a more
familiar brown one! Probably a new stepping. I wouldn't be majorly surprised if I can get to at least close to 2.5 ghz with better cooling. My Athlon XP T-bred 2400+ processor seems to be literally one of the hottest processor chips!
Without a doubt, I was having a problem with that sucker getting hot like Phoenix ;).

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I'm running my P4B 3.06 at 3.5 stable.. it's not the best OCer out there either. Your P4C (or prescott) should be able to hit pretty high.

This thing sure is fucking fast though. :happy:

Knuckles

I already tried on my XP 3000+
The normal speed is 2.17GHz (166x13) - 333FSB
Since I got a locked multiplier, I can only overclock via the FSB, so I got it up to around 2.35GHz (180x13) - 360Mhz FSB, stable, but if I try to put higher, whatever I get a windows boot failure or I get the bios boot failure screen (secure boot - basic - to flash the bios) or it boots , but restarts when starting windows or going in the bios (was hard to reset it back .....)

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
I have my 2500+ @ 2.53ghz *damn you summer!* on air. 100 percent stable too, 2.64ghz 240fsb winters are better though.

3.4ghz northwood should oc to 3.7ghz easily, if you know what you're doing.

Stezo2k

S-2K
DarthDazDC said:
I'm thinking of overclocking my processot to a 3.4 or 3.6. My pentium 4 processor is a Northwood core.

The northwoods are better for overclocking due to them having lower temps, you should get a fairly good overclock out of that

Highest i've got my A64 3000+ is 2.4 GHz on the default voltages, but it is kind of unstable at that speed, so i'm staying at 2.2 Ghz (around 3300+) at the moment, it's fast enough at the moment :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It seems the newer athlons are multiplier locked? Mine is in any case.
I haven't overclocked it any; it's running at normal speed for a good reason - I can't overclock!
Since it's if barton core, the FSB is running at 166 MHz. If I increase it only 1 more mhz, the whole system locks up... :huh:
Meh. However did you get 180 MHz FSB? It's probably one of the components which are freaking out at this speed...

But in the past, I've overclocked. Oh damn it's nice...

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Doomulation said:
It seems the newer athlons are multiplier locked? Mine is in any case.
I haven't overclocked it any; it's running at normal speed for a good reason - I can't overclock!
Since it's if barton core, the FSB is running at 166 MHz. If I increase it only 1 more mhz, the whole system locks up... :huh:
Meh. However did you get 180 MHz FSB? It's probably one of the components which are freaking out at this speed...

But in the past, I've overclocked. Oh damn it's nice...

Probably your motherboard sucks or your RAM sucks.

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
RJARRRPCGP said:
Probably your motherboard sucks or your RAM sucks.

Sounds like ram to me. I do 227fsb 2-2-2-11 all the time but it's because I have BH5. And 180mhz sound like pc2700 to me. And if you can't get over 166mhz fsb, start playing with your volts and ram timings. 2.8v on vdimm, raise chipset voltage to highest available, and raise cpu voltage as necessary.

Finding out the limit of hardware can take days.

altharic

Fruit Machine Emulator Geek
I have noticed something with my PC when I overclock it, (I never do in summer due to the heat) the system temp is always 50 degrees celcius whether run at its stock speed of 1.53Ghz or clocked to 1.67 (its a 1800+ Thunderbird) previously it would not go above 1.57Ghz I added a stick of PC2700 so theres a 128 at PC2100, a 256 at PC2100 and a PC2700 at 256. Just a confusing one maybe the PC2700 rams extra speed in someway compensates for the slower ram in the FSB increase?

Any thoughts on this?

Alth

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
altharic said:
I have noticed something with my PC when I overclock it, (I never do in summer due to the heat) the system temp is always 50 degrees celcius whether run at its stock speed of 1.53Ghz or clocked to 1.67 (its a 1800+ Thunderbird) previously it would not go above 1.57Ghz I added a stick of PC2700 so theres a 128 at PC2100, a 256 at PC2100 and a PC2700 at 256. Just a confusing one maybe the PC2700 rams extra speed in someway compensates for the slower ram in the FSB increase?

Any thoughts on this?

Alth

BTW, there's no such thing as an 1800+ Thunderbird.

-Shadow-

Banned
RGAABC said:
BTW, there's no such thing as an 1800+ Thunderbird.

Maybe he just mixed Thunderbird up with Thoroughbred or Palomino...

@altharic : You should really get Better ram ! I mean two 512 MB infineon or Corsair bars . 3 Totally different bars at once are normally very bad for the health of your PC ;)

altharic

Fruit Machine Emulator Geek
I did mean Thoroughbred sorry was very tried that night, I would get better ram if I had the money just forked out for a DVD writer I may look at the ram and hard drives next.

Alth