What's new

An Idea For A Rendering Filter For JNES

sprite

Hi, guys. I was wondering if this rendering filter could be implemented in JNES.

original.gif

X2=
scale2x.gif

+
filter.gif

=
final.gif

Now, I'm no programer, I was just messing arround with those NES screenshots in my image editing program trying to come up with a way to make low-rez NES graphics more pleasant to the eye when scaled, other than using the traditional scanline method.
If this seems like a good idea, I can get into more details.
Also, I don't think JNES has any filters at all, so are there any future plans regarding adding image filters?
Thank you for your time.

OP
S

sprite

Or...

sethmcdoogle said:
Haha that looks like a newspaper picture. :)
Does it look nice though?

Another alternative to scanlines that comes to mind is the blacking out of pixels in chess like pattern like so:
200zoom.gif

I think this does a pretty good job covering the ugly aliased edges, but it darkens the image significantly; nevertheless, this could work very well in quadrupled full screen mode at the resolution of 1024X960:

400zoom.gif

300Zoom.gif

This may not be perfect, but it would be nice for the player to have several filtering methods to chose from; including this one because you never know who'll like what :bouncy:

Last edited:

smcd

I think both ideas are interesting, Visual Boy Advance has a method similar to the last one you posted, it makes the screen "pixelated." :)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
You have to ask the great jabo to implement these filter in his emu...
But the first thing he will do is update his N64 plugins, if he has the time to do it... :p

Chris_W

I never use Scanlines TV Modes and definatly would never use a filter that blotches the hell out of the joy of playing a NES, Snes or Gens game on my PC.

for me its a pure pleasure playing these old games with 2x Sai, HQ2X Etc on a PC and to spoil it with pixalated or Scanline effects just seem so wrong imo.

OP
S

sprite

thanks for your replies

sethmcdoogle said:
I think both ideas are interesting, Visual Boy Advance has a method similar to the last one you posted, it makes the screen "pixelated." :)
Yeah, it's like playing Game Boy Advance with my gamma’s stocking stretched over it; love it! Visual Boy Advance has awesome filters. Plus it has inter-frame blending features, like the frame echo trails; to create that nifty motion blur type effect. Nice!
This does look like that Visual Boy Advance effect, but only because it happens to. The one on the very top in the first post (with the Solbrain/Shatterhand cut scene pictures), is something similar to what MAME calls ‘RGB effects’. Again, any resemblance is plain coincidence; like I said, I came up with those while playing with NES screenshots in my image editor. None of those filters have been implemented in any NES emulator at this point.
MasterPhW_DX said:
You have to ask the great jabo to implement these filter in his emu...
But the first thing he will do is update his N64 plugins, if he has the time to do it... :p
I’m ready to help him any way I can (not that he’ll need my help in a million years).
I’m a big time JNES patriot because it’s the most stable of all the emulators that I’ve test driven (version 0.4.0 anyway). Add a cheat finder and image filters, and it’ll be near perfect.
Chris_W said:
I never use Scanlines TV Modes and definatly would never use a filter that blotches the hell out of the joy of playing a NES, Snes or Gens game on my PC.

for me its a pure pleasure playing these old games with 2x Sai, HQ2X Etc on a PC and to spoil it with pixalated or Scanline effects just seem so wrong imo.

It’s strictly a matter of taste. I understand if you don’t like it, but what if others do. It’s better to have it and not need it than the other way around. I’m just saying that it would be nice to have the option of using it.

2x Sai is the smartest algorithm, and JNES should have it too. FCE Ultra supports it, but I couldn’t figure out how to enable it :plain: . Also, I couldn’t use the stand-alone scaler2x program. If you know how, please PM me.

Last edited:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
sprite said:
Yeah, it's like playing Game Boy Advance with my gamma’s stocking stretched over it; love it! Visual Boy Advance has awesome filters. Plus it has inter-frame blending features, like the frame echo trails; to create that nifty motion blur type effect. Nice!
This does look like that Visual Boy Advance effect, but only because it happens to. The one on the very top in the first post (with the Solbrain/Shatterhand cut scene pictures), is something similar to what MAME calls ‘RGB effects’. Again, any resemblance is plain coincidence; like I said, I came up with those while playing with NES screenshots in my image editor. None of those filters have been implemented in any NES emulator at this point.

I’m ready to help him any way I can (not that he’ll need my help in a million years).
I’m a big time JNES patriot because it’s the most stable of all the emulators that I’ve test driven (version 0.4.0 anyway). Add a cheat finder and image filters, and it’ll be near perfect.

It’s strictly a matter of taste. I understand if you don’t like it, but what if others do. It’s better to have it and not need it than the other way around. I’m just saying that it would be nice to have the option of using it.

2x Sai is the smartest algorithm, and JNES should have it too. FCE Ultra supports it, but I couldn’t figure out how to enable it :plain: . Also, I couldn’t use the stand-alone scaler2x program. If you know how, please PM me.

Jnes does support 2xSaI, its in the video dialog (0.5.3 version)

OP
S

sprite

Jabo said:
Jnes does support 2xSaI, its in the video dialog (0.5.3 version)

There you are, oh great one!
notworthy.gif

How ya doin'?!

That's fantastic news to me. I'll download the latest version then!