What's new

Mupen 0.4 review

utopianfiat

0.4 rocks ass over the previous release: many of the issues I've been having with graphics and lockups have been solved by Glide and the new core.
However, I've noticed that games with lots of textures and overlays tend to slow down a lot. Notably almost any Camelot game will slow to a crawl (ie: Mario Tennis, Mario Golf) using the Glide plugin, and with Mario Tennis, I've experienced CRASHES of my x server because of what I assume is video ram overload!
Some games that I've noticed have this problem are:
Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Bomberman 64, Mortal Kombat Trilogy (may not be the same problem, but still locks up), Pilotwings 64 (you can tell it's slowing down because of overlays because it only slows down when a message pops over the screen!).
I'm not sure that MKT has the same problem, but Pilotwings probably does. Although Tennis and Golf may just be super-texture intensive, but if hackatrux is looking for some debugging to pass the time, I'm sure this could dig up some stuff.
specs:
amd athlon xp 2700+ t-bred
geforceFX 5700 128mb
256 megs dual channel on an asus board, you know, the one with the nforce2 chipset.

OP
U

utopianfiat

oop
figured out why Mario Tennis crashes.
watched myself play it...
memory meter filled up
then comp started slowing down...
then swap meter started filling up..
(esc esc esc esc!!!)
not closing, input gets slower as swap fills...
(ESC GODDAMIT!!)
x crashes.

OP
U

utopianfiat

it runs slowly on 0.3 also, with gln64 instead, but I'll bet it's a memory leak in one of the methods that deals with texture overlays.

GameboyHippo

Speaking of Glide64, The graphics just look bizzare on my computer. I know I'm not using a Voodoo anymore, but I'm getting really weird polygons all over the place and missing textures. Back when I used Windows, Project 64 with Glide64 and my Voodoo card worked great.

Here are my specs

Linux Debian Sid
AMD XP 2100+ (underclocked)
Radeon 9200
512 Mb RAM
Sound Blaster 5.1 LS

Last edited: