What's new

About The AMD Athlon 64 FX Cpu

jareg

Just A Guy
This might be a stupid question but i wanna know :p
Well i wanna know what makes this Cpu so special i mean it costs much more then the other Amd 64-s
Can anywon explain please :canadian:

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
It's just a higher grade CPU, like comparing an AMD Duron with the Athlon. Or a Pentium 4 with a Celeron (though probably not the best comparison), it's just an all around better quality CPU.

Clements

Not all that much to be honest. The Athlon64 FX line has a 128-bit memory interface while other Athlon64s have a 64-Bit memory interface.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=205&catid=1

If you are thinking of a Athlon64, the best value for money ones are the standard Athlon64s, but for enthusiasts the FX Athlon64 FX line are consistantly faster but are more expensive. Don't forget about overclocking ;)

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
jaregs said:
Ok but isit faster then the Pentium 4 3.0-3.6 ghz cpus :whistling

The socket 939 FX53's are out.

And yes I believe a socket 939 FX53 owns a 3.6ghz prescott. Or did you mean P4C 3ghz @ 3.6? In that case, someone could buy a 3500+ for $352 and oc that, and still get much better performance than a crappy *slower than a northwood clock for clock* prescott.

Burnpro

Supar ***
the new athlon for socket 939 is FX-55 and can now be installed with normal ddr modules, its not a requirement to use registered ram now.

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
Burnpro said:
the new athlon for socket 939 is FX-55 and can now be installed with normal ddr modules, its not a requirement to use registered ram now.

FX55 isn't for sale yet. It'll be good when it does, since the fx53 will drop to the 500-600 dollar range.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
there is an FX-51 in our house, admittedly its socket 940 and has registered ram, but tbh compared to our Athlon 64 3400+ the performance isnt much different, the difference in 3dmarks (considering its a very simular clock speed) is between 500-1000 marks at a very maximum. Plus the overclocking on them, youll be luck to get more than 200mhz extra out of it, so its nothing special.

Your better off saving a bit of money and just getting the Athlon XP 64 3xxx+ range

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Jigga0o7 said:
since the fx53 will drop to the 500-600 dollar range.
that doesn't happen, look at the 51 now, same price, why? because AMD only makes one FX processor at once, so the old ones are just overstock that need to go.