What's new

My computer stutters

Martin

Administrator
I formatted my hard drives the other day, and now the computer stutters all the time, real slow transfers. Before I formatted it worked like a charm. People have told me it sounds like DMA problems, but I've double-checked everything and the settings seems to be alright. I'm using a slot-a Athlon 700 Mhz on the Asus K7V-T mother board.

I've installed all the drivers, I think, and I'm using the latest Via 4in1 drivers. I'm using XP Pro. If anyone have any idea what could be wrong, please help me out. Both hard driver are just as slow, I can't watch DivX movies at all, or play games, so I doubt there's something wrong with the hard drives. The computer stutter even when I use IE at times.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Trotterwatch

As you are using XP Pro you can go to start run and type in:

eventvwr.msc

Check the event viewer that shows up and look in both application and system for any errors that may show up there. This could narrow it down if it's a software problem.

Check all running processes to ensure nothing is hogging the CPU, and try opening a command prompt with cmd at the run prompt and typing: chkdsk /f

If nothing there helps I will post later, it did sound a little like a DMA prob to me but too severe to be one if truth be told it sounds more like a HD failuire in the making - if the HD holding the OS is about to kick the bucket then running things from the 2nd one will still stutter.

Enable S.M.A.R.T monitoring in the BIOS just to be on the safe side for now.

Last edited:
OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
I formatted like 10 times today, and both my hard drives seems to freeze randomly, on boots as well as fresh installs. I've tried installing both Win ME and Win XP on both drives, but the problem seems persistant. /me rips hair.

Also, I've tried running both hard drives seperatly, and both of the are still stuttering, which means they're either both faulty or something else is wicked.

Slougi

Did you install any new components?
My friend had a similar prob once with his cd-rw drive, turned out his PSU was not capable of supplying sufficient power to all components.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
No, I haven't installed anything new. I got a new PSU not too long ago, a 300 w. The old one was only 245 w but Win XP ran perfectly both with the 300 w and the 245 w. I'm starting to think it's the mother board that's broke.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Yup, updated the BIOS yesterday, same deal. the funny thing is, they boot up as UDMA 4 and UDMA 2 (33 Mhz), but when I enter Windows XP they're set as PIO. It's the same with Win Me. I haven't tried Win 98 yet. Win XP used to work though. :cry:

blizz

Isn't there a tool which allows you to set the speed of your HD interface? This might be useful.

Slougi

Ok Martin so basically what you did was format the hdd's and reinstall windows. Did i get that right? After that the transfers were really slow. You didn't open your computer at all? If so then we can at least be sure that it's a software problem, not hardware. Have you scanned for bad sectors btw? I would try that. :alien: