What's new

Just my opinion,but......

Memorex

:plain: The long beta sestions and the fact that version 4 is getting the most grandest royal treatment I have ever seen on any version of an emulator, Is 99.9999999 the final version.

Because if it was to continue on, version 4 would not be so serious. They would just know that if it had problems they would be worked out with future installments, but since everyone is acting like "If we don't do it now, it will never be done" about the bugs, is just screaming that thi will be the last version.

Flame me if you want, but this is what ALL people in the emulation world are saying.

And why does everyone get so mad when mentioning the final version? If it is, so what. That is why they would cancel the project. If you quit don't get mad about it.

Lets just all hope for a Open Source.

Because it would make NO SENCE to get this far, and then quit, and restart from the begining.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Zilmar and Jabo have been working on it for 3+ years and they're perfectionists so of course they want it good... sorry what was your point again?! :)

OP
M

Memorex

An emulator that is barley 40% done is considered finalized?

Weird.

Ask the ZSNES about what "finalized" means.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
some trivia for you: go read the PJ credits... notice one of the zSNES crew there... he started out working on PJ.... I have a build of PJ that's by "Zilmar, Jabo and Demo" (maybe not in that order, can't remember)... but his work isnt in any of the public releases hence the name drop.

ahh see i rememebr a hush hush teaser discussion you were having with me where you refused to deny demo's involvement... the truth is all out now mr smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i don't think this is a secret... if it is, expect this thread to disappear shortly

OP
M

Memorex

Smiff what does demo have to do with the PJ64 being finalized when it's barely 40% done?

Everyone on the zSNES board was talking about that ages ago.

What I meant was the zSNES team is making SNES emulation 100% flawless.

Fletcher said the PJ was getting finalized,......I was just saying it seems kind of early to call it quits. Being that PJ isn't even emulating 40% of the games.

Thats why I said lets hope for open source, because even if Zilmar does a version 5, PJ will not be "Finalized" until version 35.

People say it is almost perfect....? It is awsome, but nowhere even close to be even thought of as in final stages.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah well this is where we disagree rather massively... the things that zSNES are adding are nothing to do with the core business of writing an emulator, its fluff, nice fluff, but fluff.

I would say PJ 1.0 was 90% done and the current version is perhaps 94% - there's not much difference.. to the user maybe it seems more but most of the work was put in before you (or I) ever saw it.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it comes down to semantics.... you can define "done" how you like... i think the author gets to define how done his work is.

You would not believe how much shit ive come up with, suggestions that will never in a million years be implemented by anyone... and the whackier stuff i never even bothered to show Zil/Jabo, cos i quickly got a feel for what kind of things are realistic.. its not half bad ideas either, its just like I said, not about the main business of writing an emulator.

Jfletcher

There could be numerous betas out before the final 1.4 build.
Hell, it could be in a beta state until PJ64 is 80 % compatible.
It was said a while back that this (1.4) would most likely be the final release (finalized). That's all I meant.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Shit "Memorex" that name is familiar, welcome back ya moron (joke!).

PJ runs a lot more than 40% of games (like, nearer double that).

The comparison with zSNES is hardly valid becuase for one things that's a completely low level emulator, PJ is a mix of low med and high level.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Memorex said:
:plain:
And why does everyone get so mad when mentioning the final version? If it is, so what. That is why they would cancel the project. If you quit don't get mad about it.

:D , I just love that Quote Sooo Much.

Ooo, Ooo, Can i answer that :eek:

I guess it comes down to people acting very strange (like a Baby who has had it's Rattle taken from it. ???

As for some people complaining about it, they should remember this.

The authors never ever twisted anybody's arms to take the Emulator, & they sure as hell never promised to work on it forever.

These guy's have worked themselves to bone on on this, & it is one of, if not the Best out there at doing what it does so well.

I think they've Earnt their Retirement from the Project, & if anyone had enough respect for them, they would let them do so with praise for the work they have done, & wish them well.

If they do indeed call it a day.

Just my Opinion

Oh & isn't this just in a way, covering Old Ground again :donzingof

bodie

PJ is a mix of low med and high level.
i didn't think there was MLE ..i thought it was named that because pj's graphics were HLE and the audio was LLE and was called MLE only because it was a mix of the two ,hence the common ground ..
hey memorex nice to seeya starting off on the right foot ;) .. i don't know why people are going on about it finishing .. what game of note doesn't it run(apart from banjo tooie,which i now know is a bitch to get working) ? nothing really ..so infact it's as complete as it needs to be .can't argue with that
regards hmmmm bodie

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah + if it ran everything where would that leave other groovy cats like Schibo and Rice to go? nooowwhheeereee! ;) hehe

You can't eat all the pies, it's not polite.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah bodie i wasn't really trying to make that point, what I was getting at is that the zSNES approach isnt even ideal for N64 emulation, we've got these 3d video cards that are more capabile than what the N64 has, so by going the HLE way you actually have Better Than The Real Thing Emulation(tm), which a real low level software emulator wouldn't match... I think... but im a bit drunk so I might be getting something wrong.