What's new

buying a new sound card!

foogy

ok, im buying a new sound card! my current sound card is integrated, and i have learned that it would take some of the workload off my motherboard. which makes better performance. i have a 5.1 surround sound sys hooked up, but it isnt true 5.1. i need a good recomendation for a sound card. i have seen some with a built in firewire port (which my computer doesnt have!) i dont have that much money to spend.... around 70 bones (american).

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
foogy said:
ok, im buying a new sound card! my current sound card is integrated, and i have learned that it would take some of the workload off my motherboard. which makes better performance. i have a 5.1 surround sound sys hooked up, but it isnt true 5.1. i need a good recomendation for a sound card. i have seen some with a built in firewire port (which my computer doesnt have!) i dont have that much money to spend.... around 70 bones (american).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-158&depa=1.

jdsony

foogy said:

If you have high quality speakers/you are hooked up to a stereo receiver you might want to look into this card as well.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-121-101&DEPA=1

It has better sound quality and drivers than Creative's cards but lacks in 3D sound acceleration so you won't get all of EAX HD or EAX4 processing and you won't gain any fps in games. It will be excellent for music and movies.

The Creative Labs Audigy cards have more advanced 3D sound for games and hardware acceleration so you will gain a few fps. A great gaming card and fine for music and movies. If you can find an Audigy 2ZS it should be around the price of the Audigy 2 on that newegg site and it's the successor to the Audigy 2 so it has some more features and it's a little better.

Oh and by the way check out the reviews on both those links, they may give you a better idea on what's right for you.

Last edited: