What's new

I need some suggestions

l00pus

Last week I had .2a up and running just fine with several games. I have the utility pack installed and was able to run MvC2 specifically with no problems. In the time between now and then all I have done on that machine was get girigiri up and running with radiant Silvergun. I installed the new build of GiriGiri 6/28. I had to convert a CCD version of RDSG to Bin/Cue format but other then that this machine has been unused. Saturn runs great.

Well now I see version.25 of chankast has been released so I install in a diff directory then .2a. I drag over the bios/flash and the memory card. Fire up MvC2 mounted by alchohol. I now have a lot of artifacts and image issues. So I unmount in alch and go over to daemon. Try with all the Z's and cable options. Same deal.

So now I go back to .2a to play a game of MvC2 and now I have the same problem there to. Even if I use old grafix. I thought maybe something in the bios got screwed up so I replaced the bios files. Still a lot of junk on the screen when I try to play. At one point it BSOD on me. I made sure all of my programs at startup have been disabled and I am now still getting this issue. The graffic glitches even appear to effect the whole screen even if the game is windowed. I can see weird flashing behind the window. It isnt just MvC2 either I have tried other games and it is more of the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just dont understand how everything can go to working fine to this....

OP
L

l00pus

ok just in case the CDI is in quetion I copied that over to another machine with a .2a version of chankast and it works fine. I copied that machines Bios files over to the machine that is having problems and it is still distorted.

So the question I guess is where on the other system could the problem be?

I suppose I will try reinstalling the video drivers first....

I just want to cry. Could girigiri screwed something up during its install?

rcgamer

the old guy
it could be a registry issue . you said yourself the problem started when you installed the new version. so try removing the new version and the old version run a registry cleaner then reinstall the old version and check. if it works thats the problem.

OP
L

l00pus

ok reinstalled video drivers. Same problem. Just for the hell of it I uninstalled Giri Giri.

Still broke.

System spec's
Chaintech Nforce 2 micro atx mainboard.
Ati 7500 svideo out to a TV
AMD 2600+
512 megs of ram

anyone have any ideas.... Im really close to just formatting.

OP
L

l00pus

rcgamer said:
it could be a registry issue . you said yourself the problem started when you installed the new version. so try removing the new version and the old version run a registry cleaner then reinstall the old version and check. if it works thats the problem.

ok removed both instances of chankast and giri giri then ran a reg cleaner. found a few problems. fixed everything rebooted. Grabbed the instance of chankast from the other machine that I know is working Bios and all. Still broke :(

any other suggestions?

OP
L

l00pus

ok now i think I am even more confused.

I was going to format so I took my comp out of the arcade machine. and hooked it up to a regular monitor/keyboard. Now everything runs properly. So I hook it back up to the arcade machine again and bam all broke. Can anyone think of a video setting that when hooked up to a TV would cause weird problems like this?

Mame still runs fine as does girigiri its just this emu.... it just dosent make any sense to me.

Here is the total list of things hooked up when in the arcade cab.

TV - Svideo to the Radeon 7500
IPAC - PS2 port
Trackball - Mouse PS2 port
Spinner - USB port

OP
L

l00pus

Ok just to make this issue even more rediculous....

I took the other PC that worked just fine and hooked that up to the arcade cab. Chanka and everything else works perfectly fine. Used the same cables and everything only thing is diffrent is the PC. So it is definitely something with the origionally PC that is the problem not the TV or cabeling or anything like that.

I am at a total loss.

EMUUSER

if i were you, i will
1. check the resolution, frequency of the display
2. install directx and display driver again. uninstall the old one if you can.
3. make a ghost of your hardrive to another hardrive, use it instead to check and anaylse( you can make a ghost to backup your harddrive, but make sure the ghost image won't be damage), e.g. re-install all driver. remove all programes except o/s, chankast, dt or alcohol 120%

OP
L

l00pus

EMUUSER said:
if i were you, i will
1. check the resolution, frequency of the display
2. install directx and display driver again. uninstall the old one if you can.
3. make a ghost of your hardrive to another hardrive, use it instead to check and anaylse( you can make a ghost to backup your harddrive, but make sure the ghost image won't be damage), e.g. re-install all driver. remove all programes except o/s, chankast, dt or alcohol 120%

Well here is what I did. I completely formatted the machine. I installed just the drivers DirectX and any other needed apps like alchohol. I copied over the perfectly working of Chankast from my working machine. Still Broke.

I check all of the video settings and compare to make sure things are as they should be comparing settings between the machines.

So I then take the video card out of the working machine and put it in my arcade box. It is perfect no flaws. It is an nvidia card though so diffrent drivers in the mix of course.

Next I take the ATI card out of the arcade box and put it in the other machine. Default settings just as it was in the other machine after drivers installed. I run chankast and it runs.... much better then on the other machine but there are some artifacts way less but still a definate amount of screw up.

So then I think well maybe I just needed to re-seat the ATI card so I throw that back in the arcade machine. Fire it up and the problem is like 10 times worse. (I of course was stripping drivers inbetween install and such taking every precaution)

So this brings me to my conclusion. I suppose the 3d portion of that card is broke. The arcade machine is only used for other 2d apps mame, etc. Any 3d done by those emu's is handled by the CPU not the video card and I suppose chankast is the only one that dosent. The reason I believe that is it is because the artifacts are only their on some of the 3d scenes like the backgrounds in MvC2 but as soon as someone does a super everything looks fine. I dunno Im just drawing straws at this point because it was considerably better in the one machine as opposed to the other which is odd... but the video card is the best hunch I have.

Gonna have a buddy of mine throw it in 2 of his machines and check it out and I will make sure to try some 3d demo's to test my theory. If all checks out I guess Ill be replacing that card. I think its pretty bad when you are crossing your fingers that the hardware is actually broke hahah!

Thanks for your help folks.