What's new

graphics card

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
Hi,
I;ve nearly sorted out my specs for my new pc, but its only the graphics card that im not sure about.
I was thinking of buying a radeon 9800pro or a nvidia 5600, as my dad has this in his computer it it works great with far cry, but im not sure if it will work well with half life 2 when (or if) its released in august. Or should I even try and get a geforce 5900?
what do you think i should get?

Clements

Comparing a 9800 Pro and a 5600 is a complete mismatch. 5900 Ultra is closer to 9800 Pro speeds. The 128MB version of the 9800 Pro is cheap as chips and good value for money, but don't expect the ability to use high resolutions and filtering with FarCry.

It depends on how much you're willing to spend. At the moment, it looks like a 6800 GT is a much better choice for FarCry in particular, due to the Shader Model 3.0 support in the latest patch. One of these would set you back $399, but is more than twice as fast as a 9800 Pro with FarCry, but is twice the price...

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
Clements said:
Comparing a 9800 Pro and a 5600 is a complete mismatch. 5900 Ultra is closer to 9800 Pro speeds. The 128MB version of the 9800 Pro is cheap as chips and good value for money, but don't expect the ability to use high resolutions and filtering with FarCry.

It depends on how much you're willing to spend. At the moment, it looks like a 6800 GT is a much better choice for FarCry in particular, due to the Shader Model 3.0 support in the latest patch. One of these would set you back $399, but is more than twice as fast as a 9800 Pro with FarCry, but is twice the price...

If you have the money, get a x800pro or a 6800GT. x800pro kicks ass... trust me.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
You can find some 6800gt's and X800pro for $350 US online. Some lucky folks got a hold of some 6800gt's for $299 from BB. I suggest looking for a 6800nu. I've found a few online retailers selling them for $250 US.

Last edited: