What's new

Sloooow Shenmue 2

R

Rage2Wrath

I have a P4 3.0 ghz Hyper Threading 800 Mhz FSB
Radeon 9700 pro oc'ed 391.50/337.0
1Gb pc3300 Ram

And when I run Shenmue 2 in chankast, I am getting like around 17 fps. Is that normal for my setup? The only reason I ask is I forced on 8 sample AA and 16x AF, and saw a big video quality differnce but no performance differnce. It still ran at 17fps, shouldn't it have slowed down with those settings? Please let me know if you guys are getting the same problems.

Pimp

Banned
Rage2Wrath said:
I have a P4 3.0 ghz Hyper Threading 800 Mhz FSB
Radeon 9700 pro oc'ed 391.50/337.0
1Gb pc3300 Ram

And when I run Shenmue 2 in chankast, I am getting like around 17 fps. Is that normal for my setup? The only reason I ask is I forced on 8 sample AA and 16x AF, and saw a big video quality differnce but no performance differnce. It still ran at 17fps, shouldn't it have slowed down with those settings? Please let me know if you guys are getting the same problems.

those are some weird facts about chankast, its really hard to understand how the emu uses the pc resources.
highend machines perform same as mid ones, you dont gain speed by lowering or increasing graphic quality.

lowend amd cpu's perform better than p4 3.0ghz , i guess chanka was optimised for ATI+AMD pcs. :term:

Last edited:

Strange

For AMD - i think yes(ot maybe AMDs FPU is really that powerfull), but not for ATI really... For Chanka there is no any difference between various vid.cards...

gcnfan

Like most processors, both Intel and AMD vary. One is good at gaming, while the other is good at performing business-related programs. But I'd rather stick with AMD cause they have the best CPU processors around, and I wouldn't give up my Athlon XP for an Pentium 4, but I really don't hate Intel, I used to own a Pentium III 450 MHZ before. And it's true that AMD Athlon processors peform better/faster than most Intel Pentium processors.

PS: By the way, is AMD's new Athlon 64 processor any good, like the Athlon 64 FX processor, or is it not really any different?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
gcnfan said:
Like most processors, both Intel and AMD vary. One is good at gaming, while the other is good at performing business-related programs. But I'd rather stick with AMD cause they have the best CPU processors around, and I wouldn't give up my Athlon XP for an Pentium 4, but I really don't hate Intel, I used to own a Pentium III 450 MHZ before. And it's true that AMD Athlon processors peform better/faster than most Intel Pentium processors.

PS: By the way, is AMD's new Athlon 64 processor any good, like the Athlon 64 FX processor, or is it not really any different?

You're telling me a 3.06GHz P4 isn't good for gaming? Sheeit.

All I see around here... "AMD ROCKS INTEL SUCKS THEY DONT RUN GAMES OMG" Jesus christ.. howabout you people read up on stuff a bit, eh? Better yet, try a higher end Intel based PC YOURSELF. Also, as been stated on many sites, a P3 Tualatin gives the Athlon XP a good run for its money (which is true.. in just about any bench I can either top or com very close to an Athlon XP 2000+ T-Bred's performance). About P4's underperforming in Chankast.. check out DuDe's results. 25-30FPS in SC with a 2800+.

:yawn:

Last edited:

Strange

A64 is really good CPUs... Its more faster and cheaper than P4.
And yes - P3 processors was very good ones... But i`m really not interested in P4 too... P4 faster in business-related programs only because they have strong optimisations for it...
About P4's underperforming in Chankast.. check out DuDe's results. 25-30FPS in SC with a 2800+.
lol - what an argument
happy07.gif
I think what DuDe man is only one who have that low fps on such powefull CPU - its just a bug, soon i show you Duron pics... ;) And remember - not all people can o/c Tualatin to 1800Mhz - so P3 is more than not a rival even for Durons, and especially not for Athlons.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rage2Wrath

So are those the results i should be getting for Shenmue 2 with my setup?

Strange

Hard to say - not many people have p4 3Ghz here, but i think what its normal - one man with P4 3Ghz getting not really good fps even in SoulCalibur...

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Strange said:
A64 is really good CPUs... Its more faster and cheaper than P4.
And yes - P3 processors was very good ones... But i`m really not interested in P4 too... P4 faster in business-related programs only because they have strong optimisations for it...

lol - what an argument
happy07.gif
I think what DuDe man is only one who have that low fps on such powefull CPU - its just a bug, soon i show you Duron pics... ;) And remember - not all people can o/c Tualatin to 1800Mhz - so P3 is more than not a rival even for Durons, and especially not for Athlons.

At stock speeds no, at 1800MHz, even with PC-133 this CPU can compete with any Athlon around it's clock speed range.. it MURDERS a 1700+ in any bench I've ran and basically matches a 2000+. In Chankast, people with 1800+ CPUs can't even get the FPS I'm getting (Posty_2k3 in particular, we've compared on MSN several times).

Strange

Chankast, people with 1800+ CPUs can't even get the FPS I'm getting (Posty_2k3 in particular, we've compared on MSN several times).
Bad PC configuration(Motherboard or something else) i guess - i told you what on Duron1200/MX440 i get 30-35fps in SC with 115 SH4. Or maybe old(polomino) 1800+ core is the problem... As you can see various fps results is really strange with Chanka emulator...
it MURDERS a 1700+
Ok - maybe if you O/c it to 1800mhz but what if o/c 1700+? ;) My CPU is a good example :p And its totally destroys not only P3 but almost all P4 too :gunman: :naughty:

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Strange said:
Bad PC configuration(Motherboard or something else) i guess - i told you what on Duron1200/MX440 i get 30-35fps in SC with 115 SH4. Or maybe old(polomino) 1800+ core is the problem... As you can see various fps results is really strange with Chanka emulator...

Ok - maybe if you O/c it to 1800mhz but what if o/c 1700+? ;) My CPU is a good example :p And its totally destroys not only P3 but almost all P4 too :gunman: :naughty:

Well let's see.. I'm gonna defrag, and run SC on a clean boot and see how it runs.. My PC is feeling a bit cluttery too.. but even IF the Duron gets around my FPS, it doesn't really say it's better.. it means Chanka's weird (take DuDe and Posty for examples. ;))

Also, are you running from the CD or an ISO? I'm running from a CD.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Hmm under further examination, I found that in the battle theater the FPS NEVER goes above 40, even in the least complex areas.. it seems to be capped. Very odd. It also never goes below 38.. Here's four shots of four different battle theaters.

edit: I also noticed with the CPU OCed to 115, in battle it won't go above 30 or below 29, even in the least/most intensive situations. Very odd indeed..

Strange

Thats the point - you running from CD, try ISO - its really faster than CD. I`m lunching DC games only from ISO...

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Well the FPS counter shows about 5-7FPS more but it actually runs SO much faster than before.. more than a shot can do justice.. I swear it feels full speed.

Strange

Good for you... CD reading is really slowing gameplay... I tryed play from CD - FPS decrease is about 20-25 for me... So cd image is the best variant.

SD_DRACULA

yeah its true when it comes to gaming in general, pentiums are not quite up to it. i tried shenmue 2 on my 1.5 Pentium M and i got like 25 fps unlike in my desktop with a 2800+ athlon in which i got over 40 fps, laptop processors will always be slower but still AMD is the way to go for games and emus.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
SD_DRACULA said:
yeah its true when it comes to gaming in general, pentiums are not quite up to it. i tried shenmue 2 on my 1.5 Pentium M and i got like 25 fps unlike in my desktop with a 2800+ athlon in which i got over 40 fps, laptop processors will always be slower but still AMD is the way to go for games and emus.

... :yawn:

achiles

what hell I run sc at full speed on my 2.8 oc to 3.2 with pc4000 memory,and shenmue 2 full speed as well. my 2400xp oc to 2700 gets 3/4 of the performance of my oced p4, you just gotta play with the fsb on a p4 to get it going remember p4 dont get quite as hot as athlons so you have a lot more headroom to oc.

p.s. Shenmue 2 looks wrong compared to playing it on a real dc.?(no fog effects) so the game isnt even optimized yet.

achiles

SD_DRACULA said:

And who on their right mind will compare a 2800 with a 1.5 pentium m (aka p3) compare your 2800 with my 2.8 p4 big difference.