What's new

Some gfx issues

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
As stated in the http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=6205 thread, the rad racers have some minor glitches, add to this F-1 Race, Mach Rider (some modes or all of them?).

On another note, i'm finding Jnes very unstable when using the Super 2x SAI in 512x448 mode and higher. I go to the Options menu and the emu will hang for about 30seconds then whatever i had clicked will open up (such as the video config). Is it because Super 2x SAI isn't very optimized? I mean i've not been getting full FPS on some games. Around 55fps out of 60 most of the time when using Super 2x SAI, otherwise i get full fps.

The specs of the system that this happens on is:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Geforce 4 Ti4200 (Latest Nvidia.com drivers, work fine with everything)
768MB DDR400 RAM
DirectX 9.0
Windows XP SP1
Jnes 0.5.3 and all versions supporting Super 2x SAI.

Thanks in advance. :)

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Nick, I find similar behavior when I use 3x zoom with Super 2xSai filtering, the problem is that it takes too much cpu time for me at least and everything in general becomes unresponsive, i would be interested to know what task manager shows your CPU % at

I don't have the a configuration like yours I can test unfortunately, so I don't know. The nice things about jnes are sometimes it's downfalls as well, like most emulators don't support 2x SaI in 32-bit color depth, they use the faster MMX-16-bit-only stuff. That's one of the reasons I waited so long before jumping on the 2xSaI band-wagon, it takes a lot of cpu to do it in 32-bit color non-mmx.

anyway let me know i'm interested how it is performing on the athlon

OP
Nick_kidid0

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
So what you're saying is that Jnes doesn't use MMX when doing 2xSAI in 32bit mode?

Here's some info:

Jnes CPU usage:

Emulating Kung-Fu @ 1024x896 w/ 2xSAI in 16bit colour depth - 60%-93%
FPS constant at 60.
Menus were fully accessible, no hanging the emu.

Emulating Kung-Fu @ 1024x896 w/ 2xSAI in 32bit colour depth - 99%
FPS averaging at around 54-58, never 60.
Menu's were accessible with around 10-15 seconds of lag, when any configuration was accessed, Jnes froze for some time. Also, putting Jnes as a high priority thread on the CPU helps decrease the load times when accessing the menus.

I wouldn't mind having to put it as a high priority on the CPU, but this athlon i'm using has a flaw, it cannot withstand heavy cpu load for a long time due to a manufacturing error. Since low cpu load doesn't matter, i'll just keep using Jnes @ 1024x768-32bit with hardware stretch. The cpu load is only at 15 maximum with that setting so the cpu won't BSOD my winxp :p

Jabo

Emulator Developer
hehe ok, i'm always trying to increase the performance of the 2xSaI library, it's quite difficult tho... the overhead associated with working with video memory and doing the filtering seems to be quite high

switching to dx7 lowered that overhead 3-4% in 0.5.x, but I'll keep you up to date, Jnes does not use MMX at all for 2xSaI

OP
Nick_kidid0

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
Ok, np Jabo.
Thx for the info.

Just one more question... Is there a reason behind not adding a Frame limiter/unlimiter feature? (I'm just curious)

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Jnes is kind of setup in a way where it emulates as it renders, it would actually slow down the emulation to accurately provide a facility such as frame skipping, and it's just more crap I have to deal, code, test etc. I'm trying to keep things stable... as I've said in the past I don't agree with frame skipping, I tested Jnes a while ago on a properly configued Pentium 233 and it ran @ 60fps without any problems

all the filtering methods work on my 1.3ghz celeron, .. increasing performance of filtering is something I'm always thinking about, so we'll see what happens