What's new

98% Satisfied, 2% P.O.'ed...

Renai&SHMUPS

Cold As Ice Foreigner.
96% Satisfied, 4% P.O.'ed...

(Whilst running under VisualBoy Advance 1.7.2, on a P4 2.53 GhZ, with 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 64MB DDR SDRAM Intel Extreme Graphics - Crappy, but hey, I need to wait more to get an upgrade - , and other carp - yes, carp - ...)

For the past 2 years, I've possessed this computer, and everything on it runs perfectly fine... scratch that. There are certain programs that don't run perfectly fine. However, I've managed... again, scratch that. One program, one problem in particular has caused me to break down. As you may have read from the beginning of my post, this particular post deals with VisualBoy Advance 1.7.2 (and earlier, as the program and problem have occured for quite some time - 2 years, as previously stated, on this computer, at least - ) , and I shall now proceed to describe the problem in whatever detail I can muster.

Actually, how much detail is necessary? It's a simple thing, really. No matter what generation Game Boy game I play (*.GB, *.SGB, *.GBC, *.GBA...), they all run fine, or at least, they WOULD run fine, but there's something stopping it all from running at 100%. Jerky music, jerky sound, jerky motion (though it's not all that bad, because... - read on - ) , despite the fact that the top of the screen claims that it's running at a rate of (a randomly chosen number of) 96-100%.

It's also amusing to note that the problem was able to be temporarily solved (back whilst I was running at 1024x768) by going into Full Screen mode at the aforementioned resolution, hitting ESC to hide the menu, and then saving a state or pausing and unpausing (CTRL-P kinda pausing from within the emulator, not START button stuff) the emulation in progress. Nowadays, running at 1280x1024 with a new monitor, it's not such a good idea to do such things, as the emulator seems to have learned my tricks and is now no longer accepting them, heh... either way, it WAS annoying to do that when the problem got worse (try it, do something now about 100 times in a row, at an interval of 20 seconds in between each action). Annoying, but amusing, nonetheless.

So, it's all carp - yes, carp, mwahahaha - like this that made me think to myself, "Game Boy games (any sort) ... running at a rate of 98-100%... on a computer with these specs? Heh, where have I seen this similar problem before? Oh, yes, on emulators that actually emulate true power-chuggers (Seattle Hardware & ST-V on MAME, etc...) ".

So, my question is, what's the problem here, and what's the list 'o steps for solving it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Clements

Try deactivating frameskip and setting the skip manually to a value since it skips too many frames on fast systems. Experiment with these values until the frame rate is smooth. If it's still slow and you are using too many filtering options, turn them down.

OP
Renai&SHMUPS

Renai&SHMUPS

Cold As Ice Foreigner.
Clements said:
Try deactivating frameskip and setting the skip manually to a value since it skips too many frames on fast systems. Experiment with these values until the frame rate is smooth. If it's still slow and you are using too many filtering options, turn them down.

*Skippable Note: Previous post edited slightly, look over if ya wanna*

*/me looks over settings*

Automatic Frameskip already disabled (learned about this back when I started using MAME about 6 years ago, neat little trick - the speeding up with this - , ain't it?), there is no Throttling, Filter Options state Normal, Disable MMX is not checked, and Interframe Blending is None (I don't use filters, as I don't need no fancy schmancy graphics - Computer Space & Pong addict, here - , heh) .

However, your suggestion of the manually setting the Frameskip never came to mind until now. I did use this back on an old K6 300 and set it to 4 to get a decent framerate on some GBC games back in the day (when those were still the norm, heh) , but my memories of that sort of thing got a bit rusty today. Thanks for reminding me of that. I'll now be checking with setting that, I'll report back with results if I should find a good setting.

It would also be neat if there was a GB/GBA benchmark for emulators that said something along the lines of "change the Manual Frameskip setting until the blinking 1x1-or-so box and the beeping sounds made synchronize with each other as best they can" and had the blinking box and sound to match the text (pathetic description, but I'm not really good at describing things like that - for a better description of what I'm looking for, load up the MegaZeux game "MegaZeux Superstar", and check out the test at the beginning of the game), but that may not be necessary. If there is one however, and it's gone over my eyes without me even noticing it, please suggest/mention it. On an amusing note, for this purpose, I'm currently using "Pia Carrot he Youkoso! 3.3" 's Config screen, as it almost fits what I'm looking for, somehow.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

I've actually got the same problem it seems. Pretty much any game I run on VBA says it is running at 96% speed. Changing setttings doesn't do anything - except turning off the frame limit which then makes it go at stupidly fast speeds :)

The sound is a little messed up because of this, but the games play well enough. Besides I always turn off the sound anyway and stick MP3s on, lol

I'll try and fix the problem later if I can be bothered.

Edit/ Just checked a few games out, all of them now seem to run at 99-100%, guess it's only Mario Golf with the 96% issue

I'll leave this post here though rather than delete it (kinda pointless post though now, sorry).

Last edited:

zman

It sound like video card and or video driver issues.

Try setting emulator priority to "Highest". Turn off all or most background programs running on your machine. Maybe try old syncranization method for sound. Set sound quality to 22 or 11 khz. Try out the speed toggle, and throttle the frame skip. Do all this in full screen mode. Also bring your direct x drivers to 8 or 9 depending on operating system and other programs you may not want to screw up. This all should give you a hyper intensive experience the emulator. Who knows, maybe it's like the old multimedia experience we all have been through. Where the avi video on games does not match up with the sound, and so when a person talked, the lips moved and the voice came later. To me that was worse then this ever could be.

I've been lucky to have only experienced bad rom dumbs as to the quality issues with this emulator through all of it's stages.

Chupi

I had a very similar problem. There was a build of VBA 1.7.2 that's just plain SLOW. Get a newer build or go with the new 1.8.0 beta.

2.53 GHz ain't crappy. Another 512 MB RAM might help. I have a Toshiba laptop almost just like yours, except with a 32 MB nVidia GeForce 4 440 Go, and it runs beautifully. (Full-speed N64 emulation at 1280x1024 on most games! 100% perfect emulation in VBA at 1280x1024 full screen with hq2x filter on! Woohoo!)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I am a bit behind with this advice judging by the date so you've raised the dead, but i'll say this anyway... (might be a "possible" explaination for slowness)

Disable VSync. because while it is enabled VBA wants 100% of your CPU (and i'm not joking), so if you have anything else running it will run like crap. Not sure if this is true in full screen but it definatly is true of windowed mode. including but not limited to version 1.8.0.

I believe VSync is disabled on 1.8.0 by default but not on previous ones.

In case you're wondering where I got this info I found out from task manager. Enabled this option 100% cpu.. disabled 40%.. difference... yeah... :)

It must be a bug.. it might be my hardware.. :p

Edit: Nah, it runs like crap regardless with "VSync" on.

heres some shots: (ignore the 99% on the first one, it always hovers with/without) heh;

Last edited: