What's new

GiriGiri 6/28/04 Build out!

Barnito

Banned
What could possibly be better then the GiriGiri emulator for running Saturn games? How about a Windows XP optimized version that is smaller, faster and resource optimized. It has a partially rewritten core, updated code, improved sound, new tools, and updated documentation. Further, it now comes with its own installer and all the files needed to run it.
All you have to do is supply the game.

Grab it here:
www.barnitos.net/girihelp
Readme + Changelog:
www.barnitos.net/girihelp/readme.txt

CrazyYatta

Wow! sweet! now i can actually use the cd drive. it felt like such a hassle last i played this emu, and now it works great. awesome, thanks so much.

Now all it needs is joypad compatibility. Want to use my ps2 controller =P.

Also, too add to your list, Neon Genesis Evangelion 1st Impression (J). Mine locks up after it shows the little trees.

Last edited:
OP
B

Barnito

Banned
Configure.exe

click that file in the Program files and you can add ANY Joystick you want... read the docs...

Barnito

Talas

Son of the Sky
Has anyone else tried this new version? Is it even legal to post it here? I mean, if its a hacked version of Girigiri then its illegal isnt it? Who programmed this new version? I want more infos. :)

OP
B

Barnito

Banned
Girigiri

I have looked into the legality of this emulator. And as far as I can tell, the Cyberdisk site is gone, and the project abandoned by sega, so as far as it being illegal, I don't really think it is.... Being that cyberdisk is gone, this will not encroach on Sega's profits, PLus parts of the emulator have been rewritten, so it isn't the same EXE that sega programmed. So to the best of my knowlege it is 100% legal, any other insight to prove me wrong is welcomed...

Barnito

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Since the emulator was modified without SEGA's permission IT IS ILLEGAL even if it is abandoned.

Shin_Gouki

hi there ! i got a question:
does this release have quicksave/ emualtor save states?
If so how can i use them ?
And if not a simple no would be enough ^^°
wbr Shin Gouki

OP
B

Barnito

Banned
Save States

Not at the Moment it doesn't support this feature. Although it may be in the future

zman

First of all, thank you Barnito and other contributers to this fine emulator. I'm glad to see girigiri developement has not ended. By the way I do believe this is legal as it has been abandoned and technically, this new portion of the emulator could be described as reversed engineering and that is legal.

To my point. I see Barnito has access to many games as described in the compatibility list. So with this, my question is whether these individuals working to refine this emulator are also in the process of refining the games.dat file to contribute to the compatibility list. As the games.dat file does have a significant impact on the quality of the games, per individual basis.

And finally, I tried SonicR (U) version and this version of the emulator significantly improves performance quality. Although the graphic errors do exist, mostly on layer 5. The sound input recode and refinement has justified a more compatible and playable status.

Thank you Barnito

holymoz

I tried soukyugurentai and radiant silvergun, the errors, freezes and crashes still remains, only graphics seems a bit better, anyway I'm glad to know that girigiri isn't dead

Talas

Son of the Sky
First of all, thank you, I think this is good progress.

Hm... however I have four games as cue+bin on my PC and I tried them all out:

Radiant Silvergun:

Runs nice, graphics seem to be better than with the old hack.

Guardian Heroes:

Doesnt run anymore. The Intro is shown then the sound starts screeching and no more progress. Any idea why that is so? It worked with the old hack

PD Saga:

Works great.

Nights Into Dreams (Christmas):

The Saturn boots up, but then only a black screen. That game also worked with the old hack.

In addition to that, I also cant start any game from the CDs themselves. I get a "Handle CD" Error. Why is that? When I try to configure the CD-Roms I see that the wrong one is displayed, I can change that but when I click on "Save" to save the settings nothing happens. If I exit and return to the config theres still the wrong CD-Rom selected.

holymoz

Talas have you finished radiant silvergun? I played it for hundred hours but at the end after xiga the emulator crash to windows

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hi Holymoz,

nope, I didnt finish it yet. Its a little too slow on my PC: Thank god I have a Saturn. :)

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Awesome.. runs good and one of the coolest things, it plays Audio CDs in the bios (I always loved that space ship vis ;)). :D

holymoz

Talas said:
Hi Holymoz,

nope, I didnt finish it yet. Its a little too slow on my PC: Thank god I have a Saturn. :)

ok, I hope that one day I'll be able to see this ending, it's sad that nobody can make a decent emulator after 10 years since saturn born, actually girigiri is the only and one only best emulator even with freezes and crashes.
I will console myself with the Chankast :p

Talas

Son of the Sky
Now now Holymoz, the Coders arent coding just for you. I appreciate their work and if it isnt perfect... who cares? You can always buy an original saturn (like me) :).

OP
B

Barnito

Banned
www.barnitos.net/files/compatabilitylist.txt

WOW, Alot of questions, first of all, Nights (both versions) work, you have to mash the abc buttons during boot. haven't figured that out yet, As far as the games.dat is concerned we have been looking into adding generic info for all the saturn games, however we don't know where to start. We have no way of knowing how to format the entries, (the original directions in the games.dat were in japenese and there is no documentation on how to configure it) If anyone can help in this arena this would be greatly appriciated!!

I am not the Coder of this hack, however one of my very good friends, Snail is. I have supplied him with Saturn techdocs, and I as well as the rest of the Emulation community have their fingers crossed int he hopes he succeeds...

Barnito

Talas

Son of the Sky
Just tried NiD again. What exactly do you mean I have to "mesh" the ABC Buttons? Push them while booting? Didnt really help, I got to the music player once but normally there is only the black screen again.