What's new

Compatibility clarification: Lodoss War

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
Well, I would like to clarify something regarding "Record of Lodoss War", because I have read several posts saying, one that this game is indeed playable on chankast, the others that it isnt.
So what is the real answer? Does this work, or not? Just to clearly state one unified opinion regarding compatibility of these confusing statements.

Skullmonkey

rcgamer said:
crashes here to

I had the same problems but am glad to say I have fixed them and it definently DOES boot and run . When I first tried to mount and run it I would get it crashing the emu with a windows error message. After looking at the image with imginfo, it said that the boot.bin was 1st_read.bin. After checking it with ipbin4win, it said that the boot.bin was 1NOSDC.BIN, I double checked that with a hex editor, and got the same result.

So I used the echelon selfboot method, with the one change of deleting the 1st_read.bin that was on the image allready, and using the 1NOSDC.BIN file whenever it asked for the boot.bin file.

None of the auto selfboot methods will work because they will look for the 1st_read.bin which is blank. I guess the image I had someone had allready tried to turn it into a selfboot and messed it up.....so try checking that out.

On a side note, I find that any images that I am haveing troubles with running in Chankast, (even if they run in my dreamcast), if I re-rip them to the hard drive, and re-do the selfboot using the echelon method, than most of the time they will then run.....and if not they will mostly boot and then crash.

Hope this info is of some help, without stepping over any lines, I don't think it does but please let me know if it is. For any tools, that aren't listed here, google is your friend.

Cheers

rcgamer

the old guy
I never read that post but i figured it out as well. i posted it and pics in the compatibility thread. except i just switched the filenames. ill play it for a while and get back to you.

littlestars

Asteroid B-612
Skullmonkey said:
So I used the echelon selfboot method, with the one change of deleting the 1st_read.bin that was on the image allready, and using the 1NOSDC.BIN file whenever it asked for the boot.bin file.

YES!!! IT REALLY WORKS :bouncy:

my method is more simple,don' need a hex editor, but just like yours :p

extract all files to /FastBoot/DATA

copy a backup of 1NOSDC.BIN , rename it to 1ST_READ.BIN ,and move it to /FastBoot/DATA to replace the original file

copy 1NOSDC.BIN and IP.BIN from your cd image (or CD) to /FastBoot, and BINHACK

move 1NOSDC.BIN and IP.BIN to /FastBoot/DATA , and run b2b_game.bat

and that's all ~ you have a bootable DC image :)

Last edited:

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
LeoKesler said:
Skullmonkey,

Your version of Lodoss crash when you kill an enemy ?

Thanks

i've proceed like skullmonkey said, and it work fine... but my version crash when i kill the first monster to...

s250

since Utopia BootCD works in 0.25,I just tried this game,crash at the begining,in the room you hit a guy then he gives you a chest,then crash.

Skullmonkey

s250 said:
since Utopia BootCD works in 0.25,I just tried this game,crash at the begining,in the room you hit a guy then he gives you a chest,then crash.

Sorry for the late reply guys, seems that the effort was wasted, and the image was corrupt to start with. There are two reasons for me:

1) Yes mine still crashses in the second room when I kill the first undead.
2) It is an MDF format image (alcohol), and when I try to burn it with the latest version of alcohol, it gets to 15% and then errors out, this is the only image I am having trouble with at the moment, so I would say its dead.

If your images are doing the same things, then my guess is the images you have are also damaged.

Sorry about that, I should have play tested a bit past the intro, but I was in the middle of converting dozens of images to self boot.

rcgamer

the old guy
try using cdmage on the image. though i think you wil have to convert it to a differant format like cdi or iso.

LeoKesler

Skullmonkey said:
Sorry for the late reply guys, seems that the effort was wasted, and the image was corrupt to start with. There are two reasons for me:

1) Yes mine still crashses in the second room when I kill the first undead.
2) It is an MDF format image (alcohol), and when I try to burn it with the latest version of alcohol, it gets to 15% and then errors out, this is the only image I am having trouble with at the moment, so I would say its dead.

If your images are doing the same things, then my guess is the images you have are also damaged.

Sorry about that, I should have play tested a bit past the intro, but I was in the middle of converting dozens of images to self boot.

Are there some way to know if the game has corrupted ?

Because I belive this is a bug of emulator. Maybe in the future versions Lodoss will be fully playable.

rcgamer

the old guy
if its a valid image(ie-not fastboot) then you can use cdmage to check it. and in some cases repair it.

LeoKesler

rcgamer said:
if its a valid image(ie-not fastboot) then you can use cdmage to check it. and in some cases repair it.

I dont get any error with image.

However, to able to play Lodoss, I have to burn a CD with a hack: using 1NOSDC.BIN to boot the game. I have see this hack in some message.

With my original image, the emulator crash.

bleeder

littlestars said:
YES!!! IT REALLY WORKS :bouncy:

my method is more simple,don' need a hex editor, but just like yours :p

extract all files to /FastBoot/DATA

copy a backup of 1NOSDC.BIN , rename it to 1ST_READ.BIN ,and move it to /FastBoot/DATA to replace the original file

copy 1NOSDC.BIN and IP.BIN from your cd image (or CD) to /FastBoot, and BINHACK

move 1NOSDC.BIN and IP.BIN to /FastBoot/DATA , and run b2b_game.bat

and that's all ~ you have a bootable DC image :)

Whats the echelon self-boot method? I can't find anything about it and keep seeing all these "/fastboot" etc in posts. Anyways, my rolw crashes after sega logo too so it'd be cool to get this workin.