What's new

An opengl Glide64 for linux ?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Yep i've ported glide64 to linux, and the name isn't really good for this port as it's not using glide at all because there's no real glide3 solution on linux and i don't have a 3dfx card. Of course it's using my wrapper. Here are some random screen shots :

Shin_Gouki

Amazing work!!! :happy:
simply astounding, with a little better sound emulation n64 emulation really is getting forward to be perfect!
wbr Shin Gouki

ciruZ

Look nice. But the fps count seems to be very low :(.
Is this because of the plugin or because of your hardware?

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
ciruZ said:
Look nice. But the fps count seems to be very low :(.
Is this because of the plugin or because of your hardware?

It's because of a combination of factors.... Firtly the plugin need a fast video card with at least 4 texture units to support all combiners and my video card (gffx 5200) isn't really known to be fast when used with 4 texture units.... My cpu isn't fast either, it's only a duron 1GHz that i'm using with slow sdram. And lastly, it's a debug build without any compilation optimization turned on and i can see a huge difference if i turned them on (in some games it double the speed).

With all these factors, i'm not considering it's bad results: all these roms are PAL except mario : 20.83 fps in mario instead of 30, 11.33 fps in zelda instead of 17.5 and i don't know what are the theoretical fps for these other games...

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Anyone have an idea where to get a GFX card list that gives the number of texture units? I am guessing my Radeon 7500 is below spec on this and I'm curious as to what's out there that supports 4 speedy units among other things (while selling for a reasonable price...). I remember a link someone gave in a discussion about pixel shaders but I don't know what thread it is in, how to effectively search for it, or even if it talks about texture units. I know it gave some pretty detailed information so it may mention texture units. If someone knows the link or has another one that would be great.

I should add: nice pics. Great work Hack.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
The plugin will still work with a 2 or 3 texture units card. With 3 texture units, some very rarely used combiner effects will not work and with 2 texture units it will emulate a voodoo1 only.

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't work- in fact I have mentioned before how wonderful your wrapper does work on my card. :) What I meant was my frame rate shown by Glide64 is also pretty low, usually in the teens but occasionally below ten. I really need a new system since my 1.1Ghz is getting pretty dated, but I was curious to know what cards, particularly lower priced DX9 cards, actually have four texture units to get the full benefits you were mentioning, that's all.

Update: Hey, Clements just posted the link I was looking for in another forum (http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm)! And it does mention the number of TMUs on the cards (mine has 3 per pipe with two pipes, so I guess it does meet the four TMU spec after all?). Must be the 1.1GHz CPU causing the slow frame rate then. Hmm.

Last edited:

Flash

Technomage
Hacktarux said:
because there's no real glide3 solution on linux

Huh ? Then what is little thing called glide3x.so.1 ? A ghost ?
I have two working glide apps for linux and one of them is glide3x-only.

Of course it's using my wrapper
I hope it's external library :)

P.S. Great work anyway.

Last edited:
OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
afaik, it wasn't really possible to use glide3x directly. It was designed to be used by the DRI driver only. But maybe i'm wrong...

It's not an external library but well... it'll be open source and it should be very easy to link it with the glide library : i think it'll only require changing the makefile to not link the wrapper files, and add a link flag to use the glide3x lib. But again i can't test it myself.

olivieryuyu

anyway your wrapper work on linux and that's the good point. Not a lot of people have a 3dfx now .... And so everybody 'll be able to see the real power of glide64 ...

Last edited:

ciruZ

Hacktarux, do you think an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with 768 MB RAM and a GeForce FX5700 LE would be enough to get > 30 fps?

ciruZ

Ok, then that's good news because currently there is no plugin for Linux with that I get more then 22 fps.

ryann

that looks pretty cool. gln64 works pretty good for me right now (pretty much full speed with mario64, mario kart 64, doom 64, diddy kong racing, and i think a couple other games i don't play much. goldeneye is still kinda slow, but i'm just waiting for the dynarec :D can't wait hax, and maybe glide64 plugin will have more compatibility with the games I have that don't display right (such as beetle adventure racing :D) i can't wait hax, well i can, but i'm excited!

- ryan

athlon xp 1900+, 768mb ddr ram, geforce 4 ti 4200 w/64mb ram, kernel 2.6.6, debian unstable

Flash

Technomage
ciruZ said:
Ok, then that's good news because currently there is no plugin for Linux with that I get more then 22 fps.
There's no emulator w/dynarec for Linux, that's why it's so slow...