What's new

torrent?

FAR

First Person Shooter
I'm sorry if I may seem to be stupid but I've run into a couple of these kinds of files and I dunno what the hack it is. What is a torrent file? How can I use it to download things?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Torrent files are files containing info. There are programs that use these files in order to find people having the (real) files that the torrent files represent and help them share these files with others. So torrent programs can be considered as file sharing programs.

Clements

/Moved to TechTalk (probably more relevant here)

You need to use an application such as Bittorrent to use torrents, but there are many other programs you can use.

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
Thanks to both of you. I've already started my download but it is incredibly slow. Does it depend on the server's speed? I've a connection of 384kbit/s.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
In order to download a file you connect to other computers, the other computers may have slower connections that's why it may be slow.

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
And why/what does the other computer(s) upload from my computer?

Clements

You are uploading the partially completed file to the other users (you are also downloading partially completed file(s) from te other users too, as well as kind people who have completed the download but have not closed the window.)

Clements

It's fast for me (I download roughly at the fastest speed my connection is capable of), it just depends on who you are connected to - if a file is rare with few people downloading it, it'll be slow.

smegforbrain

The more peers, the better the odds (obviously) of faster downloads.

The saying goes that the faster you can upload, the faster you can download as well. Personally, I never allow more than 8k upload per torrent (I can get around 28k max upload), but have downloaded torrents in excess of 180k.

But if you're going to use torrents, please don't be a leech and make sure you get a download/upload ratio of 1:1 (meaning, you download 100meg, you also upload 100meg) before stopping the torrent.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Torrents are great when downloading files because it's more convenient than using other p2p systems. They are also faster if you connect to the right people.

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
What the...? I've finished downloading the file but it is still uploading!!

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
smegforbrain said:
Yeah, you have to remember: the whole system is based on people willing to upload as well as download. :)

You're right, man. I want to upload but it's goddamn complicated. I've read the FAQ but the technical terms make me dizzy. Can you shortly tell the procedure in a simplified way?

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Bittorrent is a nice concept, but unfortunately I can't use it. Everytime I try my internet connection goes dead after a little while (15min-1 hour). I have to turn my cablemodem off and on and restart the OS to get it back. Seems I'm not the only Comcast customer with this problem either according to the Comcast help site.

smcd

You should continue to share a file after it's completed in order to let others get it too. If you cut the file off immediately after getting it 100% this is known as "leeching" and you become a hated member of bittorrent sites :p

You can easily CONTINUE to upload a file you're downloading, just leave that file/window going after it's reached 100%. As far as creating a torrent goes and such, yeah it's a little different. I use ABC, it has an option for "create torrent" then you'd just need to upload it to a tracker site (or host your own tracker?) beware though, the latest version of ABC the client itself has introduced some bugs, i might roll back to a prior version due to them...

Last edited: