What's new

Monitor seems to be dying

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
My 5 months old monitor (a Mag 996) started acting up on me. Yesterday lines started to appear in the bottom and upper sides of the screen, and today the lines are appearing all over the screen. When I'm reducing the horizontal size of the screen via the monitor's buttons, the screen starts screeching, and if I reduce the size of it to about 20% the monitor goes black. It mainly happens at 1280x1024 resolution.
My guess is that the tube has gone bonkers or something, but before I'm taking it to the lab, is there another reason for all the crap that I described above?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I advise you not to use the monitor very much. The "lines" problem usually appears when the monitor is exposed to direct sunlight. If you use it very much the problem will probably get worst, so it would be better to take it to the lab asap.

Reznor007

Could just be bad capacitors. If you leave it on a long time does the problem go away or lessen? My monitor has horrible lines and spaces when I first turn it on, but after a while they go away.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Likely if the tube was going bonkers, you're going to see a screen that's shrunken to the middle of the screen. If you're just seeing lines and/or tearing, your video card may be the cause.

Does your screen look similar to the one in the post below?:

http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=21610

Last edited:
OP
DuDe

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Well, it was the monitor after all, I've taken it to the lab, they tested it, and sent it to the factory to get fixed. I'm getting it back on Monday.