What's new

1.4GB ---> 260Mb Reduced size for GCM?

Cudda Kine

Is this normal for "The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures"
after using the GCM Shrinker tool?

I'm not quite sure if it's fine because the game doesn't even work when its 1.4gb's. (I know this emulator is a Teaser)
But I am just wondering if i should leave it in 260mb size or something...
for the future versions of Dolphin.... :p

JinXD

Vile324 said:
260mb!? That's a large difference.. I'll keep mine at 1.4gb though, I'd rather it take up the space and be guarenteed to work. :p
A lot of games shrink down that much, so it's probably ok. Though you won't really know until the next release comes and you can test it for yourself!!

I've used 7-Zip to compress all my gcm's and backed them onto dvds. Compressing them like that makes them almost the exact same size as shrinking them using the GCM shrinker! If it's the space they take up on your hard drive that's bothering you :D

FAR

First Person Shooter
I got a 170MB USA version of Zelda 4 swords and I dunno how to check that it's not a fake.

Clements

Mine is a clean 1.35GB gcm NTFS compressed to 250MB. Not only is it guaranteed to work, I can run it from Dolphin without any modification :p

FAR

First Person Shooter
Clements said:
Mine is a clean 1.35GB gcm NTFS compressed to 250MB. Not only is it guaranteed to work, I can run it from Dolphin without any modification :p

Mine too, but it is even more compressed (Winrar wins)! :p

emu4ever

Clements said:
You have to UnRAR the gcm to play it, with NTFS you don't. NTFS wins! :D

yea, but can you Use NTFS-C for a only one folder, Or I will need to use it to whole partition... :whistling

Clements

emu4ever said:
yea, but can you Use NTFS-C for a only one folder, Or I will need to use it to whole partition... :whistling

You can NTFS compress individual files. Windows does it automatically when it compresses old files to save space.

Vile324 said:
Well, Backyard Baseball beats you all. It's a 1.4gb GCM compressed to 1.01MB RARed. Amasing, eh?

Not really. :p

As I said Dolphin has no zip or RAR support, and even if it did, it would take an age to unzip/unRAR a massive 1.35GB gcm. The benefit of NTFS is that once it's compressed, you don't need to decompress it ever, and you can load it in Dolphin no problem. I could 7-Zip all my gcms with a massive dictionary size to compress it w-a-y smaller than RAR compression, but then I'd have to un7-zip it everytime I wanted to use the gcm, which isn't exactly ideal, especially if you have just a small hard drive.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Clements said:
You can NTFS compress individual files. Windows does it automatically when it compresses old files to save space.

As I said Dolphin has no zip or RAR support, and even if it did, it would take an age to unzip/unRAR a massive 1.35GB gcm. The benefit of NTFS is that once it's compressed, you don't need to decompress it ever, and you can load it in Dolphin no problem. I could 7-Zip all my gcms with a massive dictionary size to compress it w-a-y smaller than RAR compression, but then I'd have to un7-zip it everytime I wanted to use the gcm, which isn't exactly ideal, especially if you have just a small hard drive.

I am well aware of this.. :p By the way, could you link me to this compression method? I'm in desprite need of some Harddrive space. :whistling
:whistling

Clements

Which one? I mentioned two. I'll cover both bases:

For NTFS: Your must be using Windows 2000/XP with an NTFS partition, and you can enable compression of any file by right clicking it and going to properties and clicking advanced. Check the Compress box to compress. XP Pro also has the option to encrypt, which isn't really that useful.

For 7-Zip: www.7-zip.org / can also be found mirrored on sites like www.betanews.com

Use this to compress stuff extra small, like for making back-ups that you'll not access for a while.

emu4ever

Clements said:

Oh , THANX man, I didn't Know About This!, I gonna do this to my gc files :party:

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
That's extremely useful information Clements!

Does having the file compressed slow down the flow of information at all (does it make you computer work harder)? Or is it fully uncompressed when it is accessed by windows? Or does it just run it compressed?

Sorry for the 50 questions mate, I've got a few games and a couple of other fairly large files that would benefit from saving space :)

bohdy

NTFS Compression

I haven't used NTFS compression but it seems to be just an upgraded Drivespace 3. Basically it will use weak compression the file you select. Fortunately, even weak compression will compact a lot of zero's (ex garbage data) into very little space so you will get actual files sizes around the same or smaller than if you removed the garbage data.

It will need to decompess portions of or the whole file when ever you use it though so there will be a slight speed penalty. It should be pretty minimal though since the decompression would be designed to be as fast as possible.

bonefish

Help with the NTFS compression

Clements said:

Hi Clements or anyone else that got that NTFS compression to work.
i have tried to compress several games now, and yes, if you right click on them and select properties the filesize is clearly shrinked. but its actually not, just view the file in normal explorer window, the filesize is still the same.

did you try this?

was there another way to shrink them? dont want to mess with the dolphin shrinker as ive heard it ruins the games.