What's new

the SPEED

calvorota

hello,which are the options you have to modify in the ini menu to increase the speed?,and which from the jabo video plugin?.Thx

sk8bloke22

roll for life
i use jabo's 1.3 plugin from pj64 1.3 (gotta get that first). once uve got that plugin selected, wither right click on a rom in the gui or once the rom has loaded select file-->game settings and alter the CF to a higher number (not too high though). if u done this with the rom already loaded remember to reset the rom.

schibo

Emulator Developer
Fastest settings are:
Self Modifying Code Method=Protect memory
Link 4K blocks = yes
DMA in segments = No.
Max VI limit=No Limit.
And under CPU menu, uncheck Sync Audio (F6)

Just fyi, when you turn off the syncing, the emulator is free to run at whatever speed it can..so it won't be limited to 60 VI/s (assuming your machine runs 1964 at those speeds)

schibo

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
I'm wondering, what's sync audio control doing in the app? :)

audio sync is a subject that interests me greatly

schibo

Emulator Developer
hi,

Read Advanced_Users.txt and it will tell ya about the first 3 settings. DMA in segments is on by default..a couple games need it off..can't recall off top of my head..most work with it on. Good idea to leave that one as is.. :)

Protect Memory is quite stable..shouldn't have a problem with it in most cases. It is also the default. Link 4K blocks might not work for a few (very few) games. It didn't work in the Quake games, so it was disabled for Q1 & Q2 in the latest ini.

Martin

Administrator
What are you using to get your hair so fluffy schibo? Loreal Shampoo? LOL! :D

schibo

Emulator Developer
Rice can correct me, since he wrote the sync code, but afaik...and looking it over again, it is just a switch for the VI sync timer.

Rice

Emulator Developer
we are counting vi/s along game play. If finding vi/s too high (game is playing too fast), will sleep or busy wait for a moment, so to sync the game speed to 50/60 vi/s.

I believe PJ64 is doing the same thing.

btw, I don't know how audio plugin syncs game speed to audio. As fas as such a function is working in the emu core(1964 or PJ64), similar option should be turn off in audio plugin.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ook I don't understand this too well but isn't one of your options redundant, you have a MAX VI in ROM settings, and the audio sync... and then the plugin's audio sync :) so you're saying your audio sync is to be used instead of the one in the plugin? or you can turn it off and use the plugin... does it not matter? in which case shouldn't you take that out of the exe? Or should the plugin people not be holding up the core, as they currently are (sounds right to me) Again im not sure about this at all :) But it seems like audio sync is this issue that hasn't been dealt with so well, in N64 emulation generally, not just 1964.

schibo

Emulator Developer
hehe well, as far as redundancy is concerned, it is possible to have an audio plugin that doesn't use internal sync, so it is a nice feature in the exe. Hovever, (a bit off the subject) 1964 itself has a redundancy in that the VI sync is in both the user options and under the CPU menu...perhaps that is something worth simplifying/fixing.

Rice

Emulator Developer
If Max VI = "Autosync" in rom option, you can turn the sync feature on/off under CPU menu.

If Max Vi option is set to other value like 50/60/no, Auto Sync on under CPU menu is no use.

This is like in PJ64. when you set a rom to use "default" speed sync, and you can turn speed sync option on/off in PJ64's default option dialog.

ya, I can see it is a little confuse, we probably remove it or put it into default options.

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
so putting 1964 on 'autosync' just holds it on the audio sync?! thats not the same thing eh... you get smooth gameplay and bad audio with a fixed 50/60 limit, but using the audio to sync gives jerky gameplay and good audio... at least in every other emu ive used, i haven't spent much time on 1964 yet.

Rice

Emulator Developer
I have seen that sync function in Azimer's plugin affects game speed very much even the game is playing under the desired speed. So I like to use the sync function in CPU core better than in audio plugin.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
its not like PJ either Rice, PJ is just optionaly overwriting a default value (50 or 60 or no limit) with another value from the ini (50 or 60)... sync game to audio comes from Jabo's plugin if you choose to use it (which people normally shouldnt cos at best it jerks the game, at worst it cripples speed, but thats a PJ problem AFAIK)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
right this is what im getting at.... you can get better results syncing audio in the core .... interesting... I didn't know that was even possible...

Rice

Emulator Developer
Smiff said:
so putting 1964 on 'autosync' just holds it on the audio sync?! thats not the same thing eh... you get smooth gameplay and bad audio with a fixed 50/60 limit, but using the audio to sync gives jerky gameplay and good audio... at least in every other emu ive used, i haven't spent much time on 1964 yet.

Good point. I think what CPU core cares about is the vi/s, not real audio stream speed. And audio plugin cares about the audio stream speed, not the game playing speed.

I am thinking the Azimer's plugin is holding when it finds audio is too fast, in the meantime the game play is probably not that fast, just some audio stream surge.

Azimer probably can give better answer.

Rice

Emulator Developer
its not like PJ either Rice, PJ is just optionaly overwriting a default value (50 or 60 or no limit) with another value from the ini (50 or 60)... sync game to audio comes from Jabo's plugin if you choose to use it (which people normally shouldnt cos at best it jerks the game, at worst it cripples speed, but thats a PJ problem AFAIK)

hm, I think I still get speed sync if I use Azimer's audio plugin.

Which Jabo's plugin? Jabo video or Jabo audio?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
I just don't see how anyone is ever going to get audio and video both smooth at the same time... everyone wants/needs to be the one with control, so youve got this three way tug of war that just slows the whole system down ;) i think really the core should be worrying about speed (and it needs to be as accurate as it can..and then more accurate :p) and the plugins shouldnt be allowed to hold it up, they should have to smooth, fill in etc and work around irregularities as best they can... I don't know... I haven't seen a solution to this.