What's new

backups in cdrom problem

bleeder

Arg, tip: don't write up a huge message with a 95% stable overclock

Well, my problem is that my backups don't work. I don't have the images to mount to a virtual drive, I only have them on cds. I went through and the only game I could get to boot was PSOv2 but even so it didn't get past the first menu without glitching up.

But the thing is, most of these backups stopped working on my dreamcast a while ago. I assumed it was from screwing up the motor or something from backups and not making dummy files etc to move an image to the outside of a cd. But the cds themselves look fine, with no damage.
The only thing I could think that could be wrong with the cds are if it is just a cheap brand crapping out, but I think they should live longer than this. The oldest backups were burnt like 2 years ago if that, I can't remember.

Well one thing I tried, to see if it was just a problem running off cds vs. mounted image, was to make an image of my Rez backup with alcohol 120%.
All was going smoothly until the last couple percent of the session. Thats when the blocks or sectors or whatever were getting read errors. Those last couple percent took about 20 minutes to get through, because it kept going through the errors.
After it completed, I looked at the size of the image compared to the actual cd and it looked good, and the files and directories looked the same. But after mounting the image with daemon tools and trying to run the game, it just booted me to the cd player screen after the logo like when using the other backups in the cdrom drive.

There could be a problem with this cdrom drive. After reading for a while sometimes it just has trouble keeping going, so that might be what happend for the last few percent. I will try tomorow making an image again with another cdrom drive.

But does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with my backups? Maby the cds got damaged from the sun over time? I recall the discs in their cases scattered around on the floor and seeing them reflecting onto the ceiling before. Any ideas?

Thanks

And yeah, my bios and flash are fine.
Chanka sure is fast, in the bios at 2400mhz on my 2500+ it was going hilariously fast :p

edit: I'm in windows 2k btw

Last edited:
OP
B

bleeder

doh

well, in the future versions maby it will support 2000? after all its only alpha now

n00b_patrol

some people managed to get it to work with 2k (certain games anyways).. there are a couple of threads. its not going to be easy though