What's new

OS compatibility

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I haven't started Dreamcast emulation, if I'm going to ever start Dreamcast emulation, I wish there would be Windows 9x support in the future, if possible.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Ah, I was thinking about going back to Windows 98 SE, because I'm starting to get somewhat tired of the things Microsoft did to Windows XP.

japedo

dude dont jump ALL the way back to 98 go with 2000 pro, i hate xp myself and i love 2kpro, but just a suggestion

Freesnake

98's memory controller is dated for large memory(over 384mb).
by the way ,how could you add 1.82v to Athlon XP?it must be hot enough to bring about a fire……i even reduce the voltage of my Athlon XP to 1.575v still overclocking it to 2.13G.it's much cooler in the summer days.^_^

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Freesnake said:
98's memory controller is dated for large memory(over 384mb).
by the way ,how could you add 1.82v to Athlon XP?it must be hot enough to bring about a fire……i even reduce the voltage of my Athlon XP to 1.575v still overclocking it to 2.13G.it's much cooler in the summer days.^_^

I have it air conditioner cooled! BTW, my Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ processor is majorly unstable at 2.1 ghz.

BTW, if you manually tweak the Vcache size, it's possible to properly run Windows 98 with more than 384 MB of RAM.

bleeder

1.8v isnt too big. Some people run 2v or even higher if there vcore is even stable.
1.8 is pretty much okay for 24/7 use without reducing life of the chip. Some will say 1.775 or 1.85 though, and then higher for benches/gaming

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Windows 98 is not a good choice to go back to. That OS has tons of memory leaks and is far less stable than 2k and XP. And if you want good OS support from apps and stuff, you'll go no farther than 2k. Anything less, and a good amount of apps might not be compat anymore. Because some apps are made on xp or 2k and are not tested on 9x, and because of that, the app has errors (look at chanka for example) The best bet is to stick with XP, or just go to 2k, but NOT 9x.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
RJARRRPCGP said:
I have it air conditioner cooled! BTW, my Athlon XP T-bred 2000+ processor is majorly unstable at 2.1 ghz.

BTW, if you manually tweak the Vcache size, it's possible to properly run Windows 98 with more than 384 MB of RAM.

384? .... Again you post what you know nothing about.

You can run windows 98 with 512MB properly without any tweak.

japedo

i run my athlon at 1.85v its a 1600+ OCed to 1900 and its perfectly stable, no crashes, and im using the stock sink (i do however have EXTENSIVE cooling in my case, 8 fans)

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
cooliscool said:
384? .... Again you post what you know nothing about.

You can run windows 98 with 512MB properly without any tweak.

The "tweak" is to change the Vcache setting in System.ini to put a manual limit
of the disk data cache, otherwise, Windows 98 will make the cache big enough
to cause Windows 98 to run out of RAM.

Clements

Don't forget Dolphin prefers W2K/XP, while WhineCube requires them! Seems like all the newer emulators work much better on XP.

I love XP. Rock stable, never crashes, supports all my hardware 100% with no problems, supports the NTFS file system which I use on both of my hard drives. You can turn off the visual themes of XP to lower the resources used to almost the same level as Windows 2000 which everybody seems to cunningly forget, not that I have to worry about resources :p

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
But, what about the problems that people have with Athlon XP motherboards of 3D being slower under Windows XP than with Windows 2000?

Also, why have I started to see posts about Windows XP causing stuttering
with nForce2 motherboards, unless you disable ACPI or change the ACPI driver starting to spread some message boards?

Last edited:

mezkal

Man on a mission
Well for the most part its Bullshit RJ. ACPI isn't the problem on Windows XP, its crappy sound cards that don't like the NFORCE 2 's APIC (the device that gives access to IRQ's higher than 15). This is easily resolved by ditching the SB Live and using the SoundStorm (for those that have it onboard) or by purchasing a more modern sound card that's designed to conform with PCI 2.1 specs (ie can share its IRQ).

Cheers,

Mezkal