What's new

Sound problems

Gandalf68

Am i the only one to have sound problems here ?

I get POWERSTONE and IKARUGA working, but musics and sounds are jerked.

In the compatibility list, these games are reported as "Working" ... no mention of sounds problems !

And besides, haven't seen yet a sound problems topic, so is it me or what ? :plain:

Thanks in advance for help !

OP
G

Gandalf68

One more thing : the sounds are jerked even in the bios, when i navigate through the options and menus etc ...

Is that normal ?

OzTm

1. You can EDIT your post, it's not necessary to post again
2. What are your system specs?

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
i havent experienced jerky sound in the bios, infact its quite the opposite on my machine, if yours isnt up to specs (or barely scraping the minimum) then its likely the sound will be jerky, along with everything else.

only time i experienced jerky sound was in crazy taxi after about 5 minutes of playing, the whole thing slowed down.

OP
G

Gandalf68

Here's my specs :

Intel P4 2.8 Ghz
ATI RADEON 9600 Pro 256
256 Mo DDR RAM
Sound Blaster Live!
Windows XP

I don't have sounds problem with other applications/games

OzTm

It should work... never heard of such problems as bad sound in BIOS with a good PC. Maybe you need another sound-card driver, but... it's pretty weird.

Amazerath

Gandalf68 said:
Am i the only one to have sound problems here ?

I get POWERSTONE and IKARUGA working, but musics and sounds are jerked.

In the compatibility list, these games are reported as "Working" ... no mention of sounds problems !

And besides, haven't seen yet a sound problems topic, so is it me or what ? :plain:

Thanks in advance for help !

I have some sound issues as well. Dunno if it is because of my sound card (it sucks) or because Chanka doesn't have a high compatibility yet.

OP
G

Gandalf68

Freesnake said:
what's your motherboard?may the sound card conflicts with it...

My motherboard is a ASUSTEK P4P800S

The onboard sound card sucked, that's why i use a Sound Blaster Live! instead ... and you're right : maybe there's a conflict somewhere !

OzTm

You may try removing the Sound Blaster Live! and enable the onboard sound card (mine is onboard, too and it works) to see if you still have problems. If you don't, then it must be an incompatibility somewhere.

OP
G

Gandalf68

OzTm said:
You may try removing the Sound Blaster Live! and enable the onboard sound card (mine is onboard, too and it works) to see if you still have problems. If you don't, then it must be an incompatibility somewhere.

YES ! That's where the problem came from !
I desactivate my Sound Blaster and it works fine now :party:

I'm just sad to be forced to use my onboard sound card again, because i had problems with it : i heard that it's frequent that onboard sound cards make parasites sounds when listenning mp3's while browsing through Windows Explorer for example, and it happened to me sometimes :down:

Anyway, who cares ? Because NOW i can play Dreamcast Games with real/not jerky sounds ! :bouncy:

Thanks to you and to the CHANKA Team !!!

Keep it up guys ! We are so thankful for your work !

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
hmm soundblasters are a pain in the neck, may be worth trying the KxProject drivers on it from http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?language=en
theyre faster than the crap creative ones, altho it may be due to your pci latancy, it was a common fault with the sound blasters which creative took no blame for :)

note: if you do try the drivers the sound does work, the Speakers are swapped (front and rear) by default. if you have a problem the FAQ is a good place to look :)

OzTm

Also, when using the Sound Blaster Live! make sure you deactivate the onboard one in your computer's BIOS. (You usually have two options: Auto(or Enabled) and Disabled), so you will only have one soundcard at a time... dunno, maybe it will work. :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
OzTm said:
Also, when using the Sound Blaster Live! make sure you deactivate the onboard one in your computer's BIOS. (You usually have two options: Auto(or Enabled) and Disabled), so you will only have one soundcard at a time... dunno, maybe it will work. :)

yeah i agree, having 2 sound cards/components enabled may be the cause of the problem... but running the onboard one rather than the soundblaster, will decrease performence, integrated hardware usually bottlenecks systems

jdsony

Yeah onboard sound is typically noisier, and slower. A Sound Blaster LIVE won't give you much of a speed increase though, the Audigy 2 was the first card to have a decent increase in performance. I have an Audigy 1 and I don't think I have had any problems but I may just have thought whatever was happening was normal. I'll try it again, I do know Crazy Taxi 2 has really choppy sound and MVSC2 starts to lose sound effects after playing it for a bit.

OP
G

Gandalf68

OzTm said:

Yep, i was aware of that in the first place, so i had already disabled my onboard one in the Bios before using my Soundblaster ... but that was not enough apparently :(

For a strange reason, Chankast have problem with sounds when using a Sound Blaster Live! instead of the onboard card (at least, on my system) ... but i will try the KxProject drivers as "refraction" suggested and see if it's any difference !

mezkal

Man on a mission
Gandalf68 said:
Yep, i was aware of that in the first place, so i had already disabled my onboard one in the Bios before using my Soundblaster ... but that was not enough apparently :(

For a strange reason, Chankast have problem with sounds when using a Sound Blaster Live! instead of the onboard card (at least, on my system) ... but i will try the KxProject drivers as "refraction" suggested and see if it's any difference !

Unless you're a MUSO and Programmer basically AVOID the KXProject drivers....They require a good understanding of the EMU 10K1/10K2 sound chipsets (Those in SB Live and Audigy 1 /2 soundcards) and don't work well with games (no hardware buffers or Directsound acceleration) . I would recommend you rather check to see if your SB is sharing its IRQ with anything else in your machine...

Click the Start button and select run, the field type "devmgmt.msc". The Device Manager will open. Now go to View, Resources by connection. Open up the Interrupt Request (IRQ) section. Your devices will be now listed in descending order with the Interrupts they use being shown in front.

As you will see in my attachment, my modem conflicts with one of my USB Controllers. This has been unavoidable for me so I just don't use that USB controller (I have 3 more to choose from :p). However in your case if your SB is conflicting with another device, just move it to the next slot in the direction AWAY from your AGP graphics card and repeat the Device Manager procedure until u find a free IRQ for it.

Its ridiculous that we have to manually move cards in slots in these days of plug and play but Windows XP/2K won't let you assign these resources manually unless you disable ACPI and I like being able to shutdown my PC via the power button and to have my CPU/Motherboard/GFX Card run cooler.

Damn you MS :p

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
yeh thats a point, ACPI is a killer when it comes to audio performance.

try going into device manager and under computer change ACPI Uniprocessor to "Standard PC" that should stick everything on their own irq, and boost performance, maybe even cut down crashes.

note: when you reset after changing it will have to find all the devices again, so dont panic :)

mezkal

Man on a mission
refraction said:
yeh thats a point, ACPI is a killer when it comes to audio performance.

try going into device manager and under computer change ACPI Uniprocessor to "Standard PC" that should stick everything on their own irq, and boost performance, maybe even cut down crashes.

note: when you reset after changing it will have to find all the devices again, so dont panic :)

WOAH! Refraction do you actually know what you're talking abt here?? Don't go recommending someone to change thier HAL driver at the drop of a hat. Furthermore don't follow that with a lie that after resetting everything will go back to normal and all devices will be found again. ACPI is NO killer for sound performance at all. Unless of course you're talking abt USB 1.1 sound devices that didn't wake up from sleep modes. Oh and btw I work in Pro Audio making music and producing other ppl's work so I KNOW what I'm talking about.

ACPI is a central and essential feature of Windows XP. It's also kinda neccessary if you have a recent P4 or AMD XP Processor and modern motherboard. Disabling it by switching to the "Standard PC" HAL will also kill your extended P4 IRQ's (those above 15) as they require access to the APIC which is only available on ACPI.

So maybe the next time he boots he may find more than just his Sound Blaster Live conflicting (if it is AT ALL) with other devices.

The sort of solution you recommend is somewhat out of date Refraction. Most motherboards now have modern APICs so don't go disabling ACPI unless you want your machine to run slower and less stabily.

I'd recommend you do some more research on ACPI before following the herd of 2002 and throwing it out.

Cheers,

Mezkal