What's new

*insert swear word*

Glitcher

GAH! I can't change my graphics card!!

I heard that Chankast only supports GeForce and Daemon graphics cards, is that correct? Because my emulator keeps crashing when I try to initialise with my SiS card. I suppose that's the problem, since I have a 2.5 Ghz comp with 256 MB of RAM and all of the necessary BINs to boot. So I went down to my local computer shop and found a GeForce FX5200 for only 100 euros, but the manager told me that I can't install it because my computer's a LAPTOP!!

So it's virtually impossible to change graphics cards on laptops? If so, what do I do? I can't shell out thousands of euros for a new comp that has a GeForce card. Please tell me that Chankast will be compatible with other graphics cards in future. Please tell me that my long wait for a DC emulator hasn't lead to a dead end. :paperbag:

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
Er, videocard shouldn't have much of anything to do with it. Granted, updating the drivers for my ATi card may have possibly been what got it working for me, but I don't think that should be the issue.

It's worth noting, however, that Chankast crashes on init for me if I have Firebird running. I can't even venture a guess as to why this is the case, but it is. I can have twenty IE windows, Winamp 2, Winamp 3, Photoshop, PSP, and mIRC open and have zero problems whatsoever, but if Firebird is running, no Chankast for me. So yeah, might try killing off unnecessary processes and see where that takes you.

Clements

Some laptops can be upgraded, but these are usually laptops that already have a separate graphics card that can be removed. You could consult the guys from where you got it from to see if it's possible, but I doubt it. SiS cards are generally not good, integrated ones are even worse, and aren't good enough to run N64 emulators well either, let alone Dreamcast.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

I have a Medion laptop - a brand that no one seems to have heard of before. So the chances of being able to change the card are close to non-existent, let alone the fact that it would cost a fortune. But my N64 emulator works fine. I can get Conker's BFD (the biggest N64 rom) running at full speed on PJ64 without so much as a glitch. I'm sure this means my card is powerful enough to get Chankast running at the very least. To me, it just seems that any brand other than GeForce or Radeon won't work. Is this true?

unai

Well, I Have an HP laptop with an IGP ati card.. only 3M polgons per second and emulator works at the moment, I dont thing that gfx card will be an isue in the future, but at the moment we are working on other things, so be patient and wait till v1.0 before asking us for support...

Stezo2k

S-2K
Jupiter said:
It's worth noting, however, that Chankast crashes on init for me if I have Firebird running

strange, never had the problem myself, i'm using a nightly build of firefox 0.9 (was firebird previously) must be hardware related

mezkal

Man on a mission
same here...

Stezo2k said:
strange, never had the problem myself, i'm using a nightly build of firefox 0.9 (was firebird previously) must be hardware related

I use Firefox 0.8 beta and a later P4 Compiled TRUNK edition and neither blow ou t Chankast .1 alpha.....So I'd have to agree must be hardware and/or driver issue.

Cheers

Mezkal

Alchy

Glitcher said:
To me, it just seems that any brand other than GeForce or Radeon won't work. Is this true?
There may be cards from other brands that work, but as I told you over at the Icarus forums :p your integrated SIS probably just can't cope, though lack of supported features. I believe Doomulation (a member here) coded a graphics card feature analyser - I think there's a post in the "Techtalk" section.

Glitcher said:
Please tell me that Chankast will be compatible with other graphics cards in future.
It may be. That's about as far as anyone here can say. It's entirely up to the devs.

mezkal

Man on a mission
Jup man I'm with ya LOL

Hell my Firefox TRUNK P4 Compile is STILL referred to as Firebird in a dozen or so places troughout the app. Go Figure :p

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Alright, I downloaded 3D Analyze.... except I don't really know what to do with it. I figured I have to select the Chankast capcom hack in the file selection menu, but what about all of those options it lists? There are so many.... "force zbuffer"... "emulate cube maps".... "force anisotropic filtering". I'm no rocket scientist. Which ones will I need to get MVC2 to run?

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Just so you know, I highlighted "force SW Tnl" and "force 16bit Zbuffer (without stencil)" like Lacrimosa666 just suggested, but that doesn't work either. Windows doesn't give me an error message any more, but Chankast just closes immediately when I click "Initialise". Any other ideas? Do the pixel shading options have anything to do with it? :huh:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
No, Chanka doesn't use Pixel Shaders at all. I doubt the alpha will ever work on your system. If at all, it will be within a couple more releases. Be patient, or get a new card. :p