What's new

SSF 0.07 Prototype R10 released

Dalthon

• IO adding control
  • In case of Windows2000, XP you can use also IO control.
  • Use command was modified simultaneously in MMC3.
  • If the drive which corresponds to MMC3 you think that almost everything you recognize.

zich

It plays...

Radiant Silvergun "works":
ssf007r10_silvergun.jpg

It takes a couple of minutes to load, the menu doesn't come up, but after pressing start a few times every so often, that white/blue mothership flying downwards from the top appears and launches your ship.

It seems all sprites (and the Chain notification) and 3D ships appear, but no backdrops or HUD.

Still, it gets into a level. That is definitely a great achievement.

Slow on my 2200XP Win98se box though - about 30% speed I'd say.

-zich

holymoz

yes radiant works on me too, but without backgrounds, the speed is normal.

One question, when I open the option window this is VERY big and don't fit the screen, the ok button it's over the bottom edge of the monitor and I can't reach it, there is no problem with VERY higher resolution but the objects on the screen becomes very very small, it's normal all this stuff? thanks!

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Never get this emu to run... it didn't like me... I have aspis and all such thing, but it doesn't let me go into the meu, everytime... my fav is satourne of my friend fab! He will get the same results just if he had some more time!

OP
Marauder

Marauder

I've had the opposite--must more success with SSF than Satourne. Although I haven't tried them all with the most recent SSF version, I've gotten the following games to run well on SSF:

Bomberman Fight!
Guardian Heroes
House of the Dead
Panzer Dragoon
Sega Rally
Tempest 2000
Thunder Force V
Vampire Savior
Virtual Fighter
Virtual On

Having the CD sound is a big bonus for SSF also (while I'm sure it's not too difficult to implement, it makes gameplay a lot more entertaining). On Satourne, I've only gotten Panzer Dragoon to work. Even games like Nights and Burning Rangers crash on me. I do like the fact that Satourne has better display options though. Too bad fabien doesn't have time to work on it more.

zich

SSF with smaller options box

Holymoz and anyone else running Windows at resolutions 1024x768 and below, I have released a replacement EXE with a smaller options box:
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=20985

It would seem that the CPU emulation in SSF is mostly complete. Silvergun plays, and Thunder Force V indeed "plays" "perfectly", just at about 40% speed, and without any backdrops. Some rear 3D and sprite layers don't seem to be emulated yet...

Given time, this emulator could blow Girigiri and Satourne out the water. Heck, it does already purely from an ease of use standpoint...

Other games I've tried:
Nights (again, seems fine but crashes a little ways into a level)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (doesn't work)
Shining Force 3 (keep VDP1/2 options off)
Sonic R (crashes before getting to a course)
Sonic Jam (crashes when any game has finished loading)
Thunder Force Gold Pack 1 (doesn't work)

-zich

Last edited:

zich

The option Auto Field Skip activates automatic frameskipping, and games run much closer to full speed.

Just tested Nights. It crashes a few moments into playing a level, but at least it gets that far!!

Mein gott! Silhouette Mirage works, and at a very playable speed! If only you could actually see the levels... :p

-zich

Last edited:
OP
Marauder

Marauder

Does anyone know what was changed between the 0.06 and 0.07 versions? Did the author redo a lot of the code? It seems that 0.07 is much faster (full speed on my P4 2.6 without frameskip), but doesn't display as well as 0.06. By that, I mean that things like the backdrops in TFV and the HUD and menus in Sega Rally displayed fine in 0.06, but not in 0.07. I can't wait to see more progress.

On another note, could someone list what all of the options in SSF do specifically? I've pretty much run all games with the default settings so far...

Bluboi

help o_O

whoops....lol err..... okie i downloaded the recent prototype and personally i think its great that a sega saturn emu is possible but im having a problem.

i tried using a emu once but now that the game i wanna play runs (shining of the holy ark) it has some interesting problems. im not sure weither its somthing i didnt do cuz im not good at this : ( but the game displays without any text, and then i also realized that there isnt any sound. is there something im missing? or maybe just something wrong with the game itself?

its pretty sad, but ive waited almost 6 years to beat this game and i dont have acess to an actual sega saturn : ( mine died 2 years ago

any help would be great, thank you ^^

zich

Um...

Bluboi, please read more carefully. We have already said that SSF 0.07 r10 does not show background layers in many games, so that surely is what is happening in Shining The Holy Ark (which I have not tested, sadly).

If you absolutely must emulate Saturn to _play_ games with, stick to Girigiri for now.

-zich