What's new

Mac G5 power

AP Raul

neo.Cultural.Revolution.c
How well do u guys think chanka would perform on the G5's (if it was compatible) giggahert front side bus cpu? What is the fastest FSB on a PC right now? 800mhz?

Freesnake

G5's hadware is completely different from PC.Chankast must need SSE now.I don't know whether it would change on the G5.

OP
AP Raul

AP Raul

neo.Cultural.Revolution.c
Yeah, of course it is different on the G5. we all know that. The G5 is a system that is built around media production, so isnt the standard hardware, such as the video card, on the G5 better than any PC? i dont know... someone who knows this ish correct me.

Freesnake

G5 usually use common pc video card……as Geforce MX440、Radeon9500……but the driveware is special for mac……

mezkal

Man on a mission
At first I ignored this post as it seemed ridiculous but seeing as those who replied are ill informed abt the G5 archictecture I decidec to put my .5c in :p

What, exactly, is the point of this question AP? You ask an impossible question for a an alpha product that was CODED and COMPILED for x86 Processors. To try and compare apps (Adobe Photoshop and After FX for example) performance across the G5 and P4 platforms brings varied results. Apple would like you to believe that the combination of a ghz BUS mixed with the numeric functions of the AltiVec processor will make the G5 trounce a PC. This is so far untrue. Of all the apps that exist on PC and MAC platforms possibly only Premiere runs noticably faster on a G5. But then its more than likely that it was highly optimised for the G5 Platform. So the bottom line here is that Chankast (unless the programmers state otherwise) will not run well on your G5 - Virtual PC emulates some SSE instructions but the overhead to run Virtual PC will probably slow down Chankast to a crawl (it if works at all under PC emulation)

In answer to your FSB question - 800Mhz is the fastest x86 based FSB - ON PAPER.

My PC is a 2.6Ghz P4 running on a GigaByte 8IPE1000 Motherboard with 2 x PC 3200 400Mhz DDRAM. The standard FSB for this config is 800mhz, however when I overclock my CPU (as now) to 3.13ghz (therefore upping my memory SB to 241Mhz - 41 mhz faster than standard or 20% increase) my FSB rockets to 964Mhz (4 x 241Mhz as apposed to 4 x 200Mhz as standard).

So the whole FSB argument in terms of G5 vs PC is kinda irrelavent. Bang for buck PC's are always better value.

For guaranteed usability (read : you're a moron who doesn't know what to buy nor how to configure it) almost always go with a MAC. :p

Cheers

Mezkal

Last edited: