What's new

DVD players: Nothing new from them right?

Josep

eyerun4phun
i'm trying to convince my parents to get a dvd player cause they are ghetto and still haven't gotten one, and i don't have enough money myself to get one, so i need to convince my parents that they should no wait any longer to buy a dvd player cause nothing new is coming out for dvd players right? no special enhancenments or any of the crap? i mean dvd players are just dvd players, right? just need some input to get a good argument with my parents;)

blizz

Jaz said:
*sarcastic mode on*
Yes, they will be nice and cheap.. :plain:
*sarcastic mode off*

/kicks Jaz

you can buy a player for £80

on the DVD recordable note, all the companies are still arguing amongst themselves about a standard, I'm personally routing for DVD RAM because it can do timeshifting (Watch and record at the same time).

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
heheh, im just talking about your good old dvd player that plays movies, and vcds too, with that progressive scan stuff, by the way what does that mean? and do dvd's need special connections for hd tv's? so the dvd is outputting hd quality

blizz

most decent DVD players provide outputs for S-Video, SCART, COAX and surround sound, it's best to check at the manufacturers web site.

blizz

well personally I'd get a decent all region DVD player which will output in what format you want to your TV,

find out locally where they'll mod them, and then go and ask then which players are better compared to the cost, video quality and supported outputs/inputs

adi

get out of my house
For the best performance, get a Toshiba player modified to do all-region playback, they give the best picture. And don't bother with inbuilt decoding, add on an amp/processor for the best possible results. I've got a Rotel processor, they're really good.

Reznor007

Things to look for:

Video:

Composite out(basic RCA video)
Svideo out(better, but not as common...round plug with 4 pints)
Component out(best...supports progressive scan..need a nice TV though)

Audio:
Standard RCA stereo cables(umm...if you can't use anything else)
Coaxial-digital out(Single RCA cable..goes to a home theater receiver for surround sound)
Optical digital(also known as Toslink...same as coaxial digital, just fiber optic cable, more expensive)

DVD is pretty much set for a while...don't be afraid to make the plunge :) I have 100+ DVD's.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
hehe

ps2 + dvd region X, to play all ur multi-region dvds.

just dont tell ur parents that its a gaming machine.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe i wish my parents were that dumb, i'd only buy ps2 for ffx, mgs2, and gta3, then i'd be spent:)