What's new

Feature Request: Blocking of new releases.

deibit

Chankast: future warez tool?

It would be nice to see in the next version a blocking of new releases (less than two years old) or of systems that are currently comercialy active (Naomi, Atomiswave..). More or less in the same way other emulators do (MAME, Nebula...)

As the Chankast manifesto says:

"We haven't done this emulator to promote piracy, it's a tribute to the great DC."

I hope this words doesnt get lost in the wind..

As we all know its very easy to get famous and popular by developing warez tools but these are hard times for being respected by having strong principles.

I hope that Chankast doesnt choose the wrong way.

Last edited:

Davv13

AMD2000XP=512DDR=9600XT
DC is dead 4 years now.Go away with this.Don't you think these guys have better things to do than trying to block a couple of shooters that I've played once or twice and never want to play again.This emu is what I was looking for to replay my fighters with better graphics.

Last edited:

steamover

Yeti & Snake Champion
well, i think it's good for game developers and the emu itself (less illegal) to limit the arcade functionality...i think emulating at least 2 year old games will be nice (well, when it works... :happy: ...we're too fast but it's the beginning..)

Anyways someone will crack/make a loader for bypass it...as always.

Last edited:

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
He's talking about the Naomi emulation tht will be in future versions of Chanka. Naomi is an arcade system that many games at arcades still use today. And they're just saying that it should block the newer games for it to prevent a lot of piracy of the newer games.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Hmmmmm... where have I heard all this stuff?
*cough cough Metal Slug 5 coff coff*
Seriously, do you really think a lock is gonna solve everything? Sure, we already saw it with MAME and Kawaks: a few loaders, some people knowing how to put together a driver.c and voilà. The game is served. Locks can be forced (and code can be modified) by their own nature, it would be futile.
And on a personal note, some authors of "great principles" are playing right now games we will probably never seen. Who? Sure I am not gonna tell you Razoola is playing progear right now, no way...
Okay okay, I'll go take my medicine
Evrain

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
A feature request isn't allowed, pll please read the rules!
And the naomi emulation is just in the near future, so why doing a feature request for some things aren't added yet?

Last edited:
OP
D

deibit

MasterPhW_DX said:
A feature request isn't allowed, pll please read the rules!

I changed the title (but I cant change the main title), sorry for the forum rules break.

Now i dont make a feature request but a moral request.

steamover

Yeti & Snake Champion
Seriously, do you really think a lock is gonna solve everything?
i said that someone will crack it.... but at least, emu authors are inside 'legality', if you download a patch for play latest games then you're who is breaking the law, not the emu authors.

MAME is open-source, so it's evidently that any kid can modify code and bypass all protections. But OFFICIAL mame doesn't support or condone the use of these new games, so at least if Playmore wants to sue someone, will sue crackers/rom releasers, not the MAME team. Same can applied to Chankast and **future** naomi emulation

some authors of "great principles" are playing right now games we will probably never seen
Well, that happened always (icarus for instance), and still will be happening. I think it's normal and they can do the best for them or the 'product'. Soon or later things are released, so it's a matter of time. And, well, we've thousands of games to play, so if you can't play (on PC) sure there is another way to play it :paperbag:

I think here it's the eternal problem about emulation (and what's qualified as 'abandonware')... If we don't establish a limit between legal or ilegal, or scene rules, then soon or later we'll be attacked by game developers and heavy prosecuted by law, as PC Games scene or MP3. So it's better to respect them (devs, companies) and they'll (probably) respect us :saint:..
...We have a dozen of games to gain and thousands to loose.

Last edited:

TheGuru

MAMEDev Dumper
Evrain said:
Sure I am not gonna tell you Razoola is playing progear right now, no way...
Evrain

Raz can't play ProGear. Well, not in MAME yet anyway. It's not dumped and it uses surface mounted ROMs which means only about 2 people can dump it (me and someone else). So if there is a dump of it and emulation, you'll probably read about it first on my site :)

Guru

jdsony

Chankast for DOS

I got a feature request. How about chankast is also released for DOS so the less fortunate people in poor countries can also play all the newly released games. Another good idea would be to add a 24/7 technical support team to answer phone calls regarding problems with the emulator and feature requests.

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
jdsony said:
I got a feature request. How about chankast is also released for DOS so the less fortunate people in poor countries can also play all the newly released games. Another good idea would be to add a 24/7 technical support team to answer phone calls regarding problems with the emulator and feature requests.
Some kind of stupid gag?
Emulation is for all ppl who releases emus and more just a hobby, why they should have a 24/7 phone service? And I posted it some posts before: NO Feature REQUESTS look at the board rules! You would be annoyed if someone bombs you with feature requests, wouldn't you? It was just a little fault of deibit to do a feature request and just to save the legally, and he allready had said sorry for this but I don't know why you now making a new one?

Last edited:

Evrain

The Forbidden One
TheGuru said:
Raz can't play ProGear. Well, not in MAME yet anyway. It's not dumped and it uses surface mounted ROMs which means only about 2 people can dump it (me and someone else). So if there is a dump of it and emulation, you'll probably read about it first on my site :)

Guru

Guru, you are one of the people I learned to respect the most in the emu scene since I started working in it, however I think you missed a "passage".
Taken from CPS2emu:

Xacrow has finished a complete dump of this title, with the SIMM chips now included! I updated our Game List with this awesome info.

Not playable in MAME, but on Kawaks yes for sure :p
And about warez/non warez, this discussion is going nowere else than the hundreds of other similar topics. IMHO emulators must keep with their initial purpose of being archives of a piece of our past (I cried while playing again TumblePop with my friends ;) ), and I don't care what's the release date of the games: their memory mustn't be lost. Haze lately inserted "placeholders" for CPS3 games, and I approve what he did, since although unplayable, they are there to be remembered. And that's everything MAME is about I guess.
Evrain

jdsony

MasterPhW_DX said:
Some kind of stupid gag?
Emulation is for all ppl who releases emus and more just a hobby, why they should have a 24/7 phone service? And I posted it some posts before: NO Feature REQUESTS look at the board rules! You would be annoyed if someone bombs you with feature requests, wouldn't you? It was just a little fault of deibit to do a feature request and just to save the legally, and he allready had said sorry for this but I don't know why you now making a new one?

I was actually joking. I don't think that's a good idea at all.

Evrain said:
Haze lately inserted "placeholders" for CPS3 games, and I approve what he did, since although unplayable, they are there to be remembered. And that's everything MAME is about I guess.
Evrain

That's one of the reason's I pretty much stopped keeping my Mame and games up to date. Mame has become more of a collection than an emulator. I know they say it's about preservation but preservation for what? So they can be remembered? Games are meant to be played there is really no other use for them, I'm not going to frame them and put them on my wall so I can remember them.

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
deibit said:
It would be nice to see in the next version a blocking of new releases (less than two years old) or of systems that are currently comercialy active (Naomi, Atomiswave..). More or less in the same way other emulators do (MAME, Nebula...)

As the Chankast manifesto says:

"We haven't done this emulator to promote piracy, it's a tribute to the great DC."

I hope this words doesnt get lost in the wind..

As we all know its very easy to get famous and popular by developing warez tools but these are hard times for being respected by having strong principles.

I hope that Chankast doesnt choose the wrong way.

Is this guy gay or what? Go suck Barbara Streissand's nipples, you goody toosh mofo

Arakon

such a lock will simply encourage people to hack the emu to remove the lock again. as it has always been.

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
TheFreeman said:
Is this guy gay or what? Go suck Barbara Streissand's nipples, you goody toosh mofo
Lets cool it with the insults and stick to the topic and be respectable.

Clessy

Seriously you extremist anti priacy people are psycho. Emulation has never been about priating games. I mean sure most people do use if for that but do you think the people who honestly make these emu's made it to priate games? Hell they have to buy 90% of the games and the hardware to begin with. I mean they're nothing for them to priate once they've emulated and dumped all the roms. Its about leaving backups of files for future generation of people who dont have the means to backup files themselves. I mean how many of you would know about all these wonderfull Japanese RPG for snes if dumpers wouldnt of released them? To block out Naomi or Atomiswave now for the reason of them being "new" is pointless. If you like they game your gonna buy it more than likly. I have tons of GBA roms and mostly play them but since they're hardly any good GBA games i've bought every single rom i own too. They're cart counterparts that is. Another thing are you a arcade vendor? Do you buy arcade boards? No didnt think so would Sammy be loosing a sell from you by you play Atomiswave on your PC, doubt very doubtfull. Your gonna say they're loosing money per game well actually they're not they dont make money off of the credits only the stores do.