What's new

Will Chankast's speed increase or decrease over time?

mike20599

As development of Chankast continues, will it's speed increase or decrease? If there are any optimizations they could make, of course it would increase, but if there is more stuff they need to emulate it could possibly decrease. Any idea which way it will go?

Heinster

jaregs said:
But first i hope a little ingrease :whistling

I bet increase...... It might decrease if you want it to show more then the original Dreamcast(+800x600/antialiasing)

Zell

If I developed Chankast I would focus on compability rather than speed. Besides, computers get better all the time.

jdsony

chevi said:
does Chankast use geforce´s GPU or it´s just CPU power what moves it?

Chankast probably uses the video card to a point (onboard video cards or old video cards might run it slower but I haven't heard any info to back this up) but CPU power is the real factor. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and it doesn't give me any more fps than anyone with older Geforce cards. The Dreamcast 3D hardware is way behind current PC hardware and probably won't need modern PC video cards unless Chankast starts using pixel shaders.

As for will it get faster or slower I would bet on faster. The emulation is already quite good and with sound which usually doesn't make the first release of an emulator. To me it looks like the graphics are suprisingly accurate it looks like the only main graphics issues I have noticed are with sprite transparencies and sprite priorities. I'm sure there are lot's of optimizations to be made but then again when making the emulator more compatible they may need add features that slow it down as well.

Clements

It'll at first get faster though optimisation, and then may get slower when the compatiblility gets to a certain level. This is true of emus such as ZSNES, since the latest WIP is much slower than the earlier DOS versions due to the fact more of the hardware will be emulated properly. Same will probably happen with Chankast.

AaronO

Unemulated
mike20599 said:
As development of Chankast continues, will it's speed increase or decrease? If there are any optimizations they could make, of course it would increase, but if there is more stuff they need to emulate it could possibly decrease. Any idea which way it will go?
Probably so because the authors of Chanka said that it could be possible. I'm on an 1.8 gHz computer, so if they can make speed improvements, my computer would eventually run like a Dreamcast.

Greggory

Now with Chankast Utilities they should get a good idea in how to increase the speed to even 60FPS without any problem. They have agreed on helping them out as well with it. With Chankast Utilities, you can speed up the FPS to even a 100+. Check out the last 3 screenshots that uses Speed Pig, a speed enhancer for Chankast. ..*waits for the release* :party:

Last edited by a moderator:

jdsony

Clements said:
It'll at first get faster though optimisation, and then may get slower when the compatiblility gets to a certain level. This is true of emus such as ZSNES, since the latest WIP is much slower than the earlier DOS versions due to the fact more of the hardware will be emulated properly. Same will probably happen with Chankast.

Well if it's development goes on as long as ZSNES it probably won't matter too much about the speed decrease when the compatibility nears perfect since by then most people will have much faster computers. I'm suprised ZSNES is still in development, even though it has been passed on it's great to still have little additions and fixes.

OP
M

mike20599

Are those utilities real? How can they get the FPS up to 100+ if normally your computer can only get it to like 40 FPS?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Speed will increase with speed pig, but if the authors don't give a sign wheather they want to have it or not I think there won't be a release...
But I'm still waiting for this great tool, too!

MasterPhW

Freesnake said:
I've been confused by the postings upstairs??
Doesn't matter. I clear it: speed pig is one of the chankast utilities, you find the link in some post over mine. The authors of this tool had wrote an Mail some days ago to get the permession to release this stuff, but the chanka didn't replied. Read the full story at the website.

MasterPhW

head21 said:
I hope it slows down some. Most Games I have tryed run at 70 to 100fps!
What for games did you tried? Most of my games had a FPS at 45... :plain:

head21

¸,~*'~,¸¸,~'*²¹
THPS2, Crazy Taxi these two I remember moving to fast, But some games run right like UT,Jet Grind Radio.
I have found a way to slow down the games that run to fast. I just run some programs in the background.