What's new

Can't load MVC2!

Glitcher

This is driving me nuts. Most people can get MVC2 to run on Chankast, but I can't get as far as the bios screen! I don't know what I'm doing wrong - I followed every piece of information to get the damn thing to work, but every time I go to Options=>Init, I get a message saying "chankast_alpha_capcom_hack.exe has encountered an unexpected problem and needs to close".

I got my hands on Daemon and mounted my selfboot CDI of MVC2 into a virtual drive F:/ just like I was instructed, and I made sure to highlight that drive in the ConfigureDrive settings. I also have all seven files on the Chankast tutorial checklist stored in my chankast_alpha_capcom_hack folder that I understand are prerequisites to run games:

1 - chankast_alpha_capcom_hack.exe (duh!)
2 - chankast.cfg
3 - cd_rom.dll
4 - dc_bios.bin
5 - dc_flash.bin (I've tested the PAL, ESP, USA and JAP versions to no avail)
6 - Ip.bin
7 - vms.bin

I also have a 2.5Ghz laptop with 256MB of RAM running on Windows XP. Surely with all this, the emulator should run fine, shouldn't it? But no, I still get the same error message when I click Options=>Init. Is there anything ELSE I'm missing?

There is one possibility I found curious: when I mounted the selfboot image of MVC2, the virtual drive name displayed an ordinary "CD Drive (F:)" instead of the name of the image. I suspected this had something to do with the image being a selfboot instead of the original non-boot, but when I try to open it in Windows Explorer, I get an error message saying "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows". Is this normal? Am I getting this message because the selfboot image was intended to be directly burned as a Dreamcast CD? What is the solution?

Oh, and hi. I'm a new member here. Heh heh. *grins sheepishly and runs away*

dreamer

i would try another, commonly working game and check if that fails too. then you can see if you got a dodgy rom or your computer/computers are the problem, my problem was that i had not updated my graphics drivers, however its likely another problem i am not aware of.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

dreamer said:
i would try another, commonly working game and check if that fails too. then you can see if you got a dodgy rom or your computer/computers are the problem, my problem was that i had not updated my graphics drivers, however its likely another problem i am not aware of.

There's nothing wrong with my copy of the game - the CD I burned worked fine on my friend's Dreamcast. Besides, everyone else seems able to run MVC2 perfectly.

OP
Glitcher

Glitcher

Alright, I've used the DirectX diagnostics to find out what type of video card I have, and it lists "Chip type: SiS M650 Rev 00".

I heard Chankast requires a pretty powerful video card to get working, but is that what's causing my emulator to crash every time I click "Init"? Don't video card related problems merely cause framerate issues? Even with the card I have, shouldn't I at least be able to reach the bios screen?

Okay, well if you don't know, then at least answer me this: what happens when you try to run Chankast without any BIN files? If it crashes every time you click "Init", then it might mean there's something wrong with my BINs.

steamover

Yeti & Snake Champion
SiS built-in cards are VERY bad :yucky:

You can try with 3D Analyze (it's posted some threads ago), seems that it emulates/restricts pixel shader use, etc..

Hero

GeForce 2 MX

I have the same problem with MvsC2. Some people say that my video card might not be good enough.
Is GeForce 2 MX not good enough for Chankast to work? some people with geforce 3 got mvsc2 to work.