What's new

CPU VS Graphics Card for Chankast

mike20599

Which does Chankast require more, CPU power or a good graphics card? I have:

Pentium 4 2.0A GHz
GeForce 4 Ti4200 /w 128 MB DDR
768 MB DDR256

Would I be better off getting a 3 GHz Pentium 4 or a top of the line DX 9 graphics card in terms of better performance in Chankast?

Clements

CPU. For any next-generation console emulator, a better CPU will increase the frame rate much more. In other words, I can get higher frame rates than people with a slower CPU but faster graphics card than I. This is opposite to PC games performance, which the graphics card makes more difference.

Mago1982

I had better performance with my Barton 2500 with Geforce 2 mx100/200 than my friend with Athlonx XP 2000 with Radeon 9700 :)

achiles

Mago1982 said:
I had better performance with my Barton 2500 with Geforce 2 mx100/200 than my friend with Athlonx XP 2000 with Radeon 9700 :)

Yeah It is definately cpu I used the emulator at 2.8ghz with crazy taxi 2 and it ran at 30 to 40 fps bumped it to 3.27 and it went to 50-65 fps (a bit ahead of the music too) so it is cpu power what matters.

OP
M

mike20599

achiles said:
Yeah It is definately cpu I used the emulator at 2.8ghz with crazy taxi 2 and it ran at 30 to 40 fps bumped it to 3.27 and it went to 50-65 fps (a bit ahead of the music too) so it is cpu power what matters.

I am tempted to try overclocking my CPU again from 2.0 GHz to 2.5 GHz. Last time I did that my motherboard died in the middle of a game, but I think it was kind of faulty to begin with. Luckily it was within warranty and they sent me a new one.

OP
M

mike20599

I just noticed that your graphics card settings do affect Chankast. I had 4XS filtering on and it made the sprites in MvC2 show some garbage. I turned all the filtering and stuff off and I think I got a slight performance boost.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
mike20599 said:
I am tempted to try overclocking my CPU again from 2.0 GHz to 2.5 GHz. Last time I did that my motherboard died in the middle of a game, but I think it was kind of faulty to begin with. Luckily it was within warranty and they sent me a new one.
Indeed, I think that motherboard was at fault, then. Mostly when overclocking, your cpu is the only that will halt. Or if you overclock the fps, other parts can halt as well. But damage to the motherboard is not that likely. Especially not with overclocking-friendly motherboards :)