What's new

chankast and naomi

garrofi

chanka's members together with MAMEDEV dumper "The Guru" http://unemulated.emuunlim.com/ are working on naomi emulation, but we are getting that error which means the serial ID is missing from the emulation and to get it we need to dump the smt eeprom, so we need $$ to buy equipment to dump the missing Serial ID held in the surface-mounted EEPROM and once we hook up that data, it should boot further :)

you can see a video running NAOMI BIOS at http://www.emufanatics.com/emulators.php?func=fileinfo&id=167

if anyone can help, [email protected]
Garrofi

Last edited:

steamover

Yeti & Snake Champion
oh... that's great....we were discussing about naomi emulation.. and now... this happens :happy: .. but doesn't need a dongle the GDs? (for each game)... At least that says system16... Or are you trying with rom games? (well i know first it's the bios...)

Great job men...

Last edited:

botijoman

Bacardi Lover
If I were a ritch man... I would donate $$$ to the chankast team... :whistling [background music here].

No, really. If I get a job this summer I know where part of my first earnings will gladly go.

See ya.

Heinster

hmmmm, sounds great....

But I heard alot of negative new concerning that the MAMEDEV team didn't want to start working because many games are still found in many arcades?????

mike20599

Heinster said:
hmmmm, sounds great....

But I heard alot of negative new concerning that the MAMEDEV team didn't want to start working because many games are still found in many arcades?????

I believe [Haze], the head of MAME, doesn't want anything to do with Naomi emulation. That is all fine and good since MAME would be too slow to play Naomi games anyways. Perhaps some of the devs would be interested in helping Chanka emulate it though.

The Jedi

Banned
Wow ... such a good news !
How much do you need (the total amount ^^) for your shopping list ?

Good luck guys :)

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I know that maybe garrofi won't have enough time to answer but, which parts of Chankast had to be re-written or modified to insert NAOMI code to be loaded and executed?
I am dying to take a look at Chanka's source ^_^;;
Evrain

[vEX]

niechift.com
To run the NAOMI BIOS no modification is needed, that's how similiar the hardware is.

Stezo2k

S-2K
[vEX] said:
To run the NAOMI BIOS no modification is needed, that's how similiar the hardware is.

Yeah i thought it might be possible to show something, meaning how the hardware is almost identical, good luck to the team with naomi emulation :) sounding good so far, i will donate to help you with the project, it's not much but it all mounts up

Edited, because i never read the 1st post fully :)

Last edited:

[vEX]

niechift.com
Well, the only difference between the two are memory (and of course game storage) so it shouldn't be that hard (I think) once the encryption is broken/bypassed.

Taken from http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_naomi.html:
Notice that Naomi has twice the amount of main memory and graphics memory that Dreamcast has, so ports from Naomi to Dreamcast may involve more conversion time. Also note that the Naomi board has four times the sound memory of the Dreamcast, and the reason for this is because the Naomi board is'nt meant to spool redbook audio from the GD-ROM drive.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
You mean that you simply swapped the BIOSes inside Chanka main dir?
Pretty unusual, yet how the Serial ID would be added to the code? Another file like the Flash memory image or directly embedded into the mail code of the emulator?
Evrain

Lilwolf

Have you?

Have you tried contacting GURU yet?

He dumped a bunch of Naomi boards a year ago for ikura.. (the other dreamcast emulator)

He might have all the info + dumps for the developers.

TheGuru

MAMEDev Dumper
Lilwolf said:
Have you tried contacting GURU yet?

He dumped a bunch of Naomi boards a year ago for ikura.. (the other dreamcast emulator)

He might have all the info + dumps for the developers.

We need to take this in small steps...
1. Dump the surface mounted EEPROM which contains the serial ID, which is checked by the hardware. It's a small file (128 bytes), but it's not dumped because I don't have the required adapter for it. I have everything else required, just not the adapter. You can see a pic of what is required here.....
http://www.logicalsys.com/prodpics/1603-16-6.jpg
It's quite small, about an inch square and will cost about $80 with postage.
This is why we need the small $$ donation to buy it.

2. Plug in the EEPROM and progress with the emulation further to the point where is starts running code in the carts (GDROM emulation will come MUCH later, there are serious protection issues)

Point 2 will not come easily. NAOMI can have about 100 errors on bootup. The systems checks a lot of the hardware and if things are not right, it will not work. Which means we have to take one problem at a time. The current problem is the missing serial ID. There can not be any progress further until that EEPROM is dumped.

Guru

Lilwolf

Thanks for the explination! (and understand the step - step needed with errors...)

I thought I read that you had already done some of this for the other dreamcast emulator. (but after making the post, I reread the first message that said that you where part of getting it posted).

but its early here.. I'm going with that as an excuse.